Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I’m aware of the rationale but it is still bonkers.

so you disgree with the premise that reception and year 1 are very important, or saying its bonkers for some other reason?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well all the action (or at least on the 3 best occasions) at today's government briefing came from the lectern to the left of Dom.

I wonder who was watching the 'right' lectern ???

Maybe we should have a separate thread of what happened at the all important Government briefing today and what it actually means ? Who is on for actually listening to what the government says and what it actually means ? I would imagine it's not many, because it's not in bold and outraged !

Much better (and certainly less complicated) to let someone else tell you what happened :wink:

Last edited:

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Well all the action (or at least on the 3 best occasions) at today's government briefing came from the lectern to the left of Dom.

I wonder who was watching the 'right' lectern ???

Maybe we should have a separate thread of what happened at the all important Government briefing today and what it actually means ? Who is on for actually listening to what the government says and what it actually means ? I would imagine it's not many, because it's not in bold and outraged !

Much better (and certainly less complicated) to let someone else tell you what happened :wink:

Didnt catch the briefing today. Could you sum it up

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
so you disgree with the premise that reception and year 1 are very important, or saying its bonkers for some other reason?

It’s bonkers because there is no need to make them the first year groups to go back. Formative years of learning are of course very important and so much of that is down to classroom environment and interactions. The learning at that age is predominantly through physical play and shared learning, which are not able to happen because of the social distancing guidelines. Imagine a risk assessment for a reception class during this and then consider if you think 4/5 olds can actually stick to it.

Start with the Primary years where more formal learning takes place and social distancing amongst other cleanliness standards can be realistically followed. Can’t see why they didn’t just opt for year 6 for the first week or two to see how it pans out.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Luckily we have been given the option of carrying on with home schooling ( but the teachers won't be able to do it to the same level ) or going back to school in June.

So, reduced home schooling it is - along with refreshing what we have already done this term - and back in September for the little one.

Forgive me and please don’t think I’m judging you in the slightest, but what is your thinking behind your decision that it will be ok to send them in September and not in June ?

There’s no guarantee that this situation will be any better in September in fact I’d go as far as to say I think we’ll hit a plateau and there will be a fairly constant level of infection for the foreseeable future if not forever.
In September all school children could well be back at school instead of just three year groups, which would surely raise potential infection levels......or the schools could stay shut as the level had peaked again, thus leaving youngsters missing even more education.

I’ve genuinely been mulling this over whether to send my 11 year old, and I swing back and forth everyday, but I’m kind of leaning towards sending her back in June purely on the basis the slowly slowly restart may put her at less risk.

I’m lucky in the fact that she goes to a very small village school with only 7 kids in year 6, but it’s still weighing on my mind.

The only other spin on it is the data that’s shows kids are very low risk anyway but it’s certainly not an easy decision, she really wants to go back though so I’ll probably send her.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Forgive me and please don’t think I’m judging you in the slightest, but what is your thinking behind your decision that it will be ok to send them in September and not in June ?

There’s no guarantee that this situation will be any better in September in fact I’d go as far as to say I think we’ll hit a plateau and there will be a fairly constant level of infection for the foreseeable future if not forever.
In September all school children could well be back at school instead of just three year groups, which would surely raise potential infection levels......or the schools could stay shut as the level had peaked again, thus leaving youngsters missing even more education.

I’ve genuinely been mulling this over whether to send my 11 year old, and I swing back and forth everyday, but I’m kind of leaning towards sending her back in June purely on the basis the slowly slowly restart may put her at less risk.

I’m lucky in the fact that she goes to a very small village school with only 7 kids in year 6, but it’s still weighing on my mind.

The only other spin on it is the data that’s shows kids are very low risk anyway but it’s certainly not an easy decision, she really wants to go back though so I’ll probably send her.
I really meant September at the earliest.

If we get a bad 2nd Wave, then the schools will be shut again anyway.

I am pretty hopeful that the blood plasma treatments will have made significant progress by then. These aren't vaccines, but they will help fight the virus.

I think medical advances will be pretty quick, and outcomes a lot better reasonably soon.

My real concern is this nasty PIMS-TS syndrome that children can get from Coronavirus, and I also think this will be more understood in a few months time.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I see that a US firm has taken the lead on the vaccine with some impressive results.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52677203

Sadly, the Oxford vaccine that the Government were so proudly touting seems to be a non-goer.

Just checked that. According to the torygraph the vaccone totally fained to work when tested in monkeys.

Remember, a vaccine is an attenuated pathogen (a sort of beaten up version that can't do harm, but is recognised as foreign). If it fails to trigger an immune response in monkeys it is unlikely to do any different in humans. That's a disappointment. And £47 million down the shitter.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Just checked that. According to the torygraph the vaccone totally fained to work when tested in monkeys.

Remember, a vaccine is an attenuated pathogen (a sort of beaten up version that can't do harm, but is recognised as foreign). If it fails to trigger an immune response in monkeys it is unlikely to do any different in humans. That's a disappointment. And £47 million down the shitter.

That's weird, an article yesterday that I posted this morning from forbes, seemed to suggest the Oxford vaccine had partial success.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/willia...ord-covid-vaccine-work-in-monkeys-not-really/

Edit: Just read the Telegraph story and it seems to rehash some of that Forbes piece.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It was successful in reducing the impact of the disease but not curing it. To be honest that may be as good as it ever gets.

That's not what we want or need. Or expect. What is 'impact' anyway? In an animal study I look for the hardest end points - death and morbidity. Failing to prevent infection in a single animal is far from that.

As noted previously, making the first vaccine for a new virus is like inventing a new dish (let's call it 'curry'). Once you have cracked the key processes, you can then do seasonal embellishments. We are stil at the 'oh, I wonder if a bit of gunpowder might give it the heat we're looking for' stage I suspect.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

only half read the Forbes version and not the source, the Oxford team and Astrazeneca seem very sure of success to have gone to clinical trials and setting up production in anticipation.

ive read more throughly, seem the objection is the vaccine isnt an outright defeat of the virus but parital protection making it inconvinent, without the nasty effects on lungs. might that be sufficent?

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
only half read the Forbes version and not the source, the Oxford team and Astrazeneca seem very sure of success to have gone to clinical trials and setting up production in anticipation.

Indeed. I'll read the reports properly when they are published some place reliable.

If it is a fail....this is not remotely unusual. People slag off Big Pharma but the costs to get a new medicine proven are astronomical, and most fail - due to all sorts - difficulty making a deliverable (pill or injection), pharmacokinetics (metabolised too fast), lack of potency (maximum effect too weak), or efficacy (it simply doesn't do what was hoped), lack of selectivity (adverse effects)....with this the problem will be efficacy I expect.

Not unusual for a company to spunk £1000 million (or a billion in new speak) as still get a fail. After the first clinical efficacy trial most new drugs have to be put through massive multicentre trials and this is where the costs kick in - and the shortcomings emerge. We don't have time for that now so I expect to see a suboptimal vaccine go into widespread use early doors and prove less than lovely. We shall see. Part of the safety anxiety is due to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theralizumab

The reason this happened was the animal studies used human antibody that was destroyed by animals as 'foreign'. You need to test a monoclonal using the species variant (to test efficacy) then do safety testing in humans, starting from homeopathic dosages to find the no effect level. Anyway, talking shop now. A vaccine is not a monoclonal. The difference is like that between taking a horse to water, and throwing the horse in a river.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Didnt catch the briefing today. Could you sum it up
:lolol:

If you really missed it and want to see it, here it is

If you want to fast forward 33.20, 35.30, 38.10 and 42.50 are all quite interesting. I wonder what a body language expert would have made of that :wink:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
And those scenarios predict outcomes that direct policy. The guy is hopeless and to boot flouted the rules that his own analysis imposed. How can you defend the guy?

Because he's well respected by his peers. And if you were wise, you'd notice that there's a difference between plural and singular, which features in your first sentence. He'd be aware of the distinction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here