Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

was just putting my heavy bags of rubbish in the communal bin when this young prat was coming towards me , head down in phone, not a care in the world. Normally would just step aside but felt the need to shout out "Look where you are F***ing going you as*h*le". It did the trick, he stopped!.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Does anyone think that because the death figures are reducing and numbers of new infections also going down despite higher testing now that, they thing we're past the peak I ain't got it so I can relax a little? Just a thought that may cross a few million people countrywide!!. Myself and my partner have stuck to the rules and yes it's boring and just not what we're used to doing and I would love to be able to go back to work, but we have no intention of just going out for anything other than essential food.

I work at the Hospital and our numbers of patients is still not going down, probably at peak now is the thought, I would be staggered if lockdown does not get shifted to end of may early june at least.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I work at the Hospital and our numbers of patients is still not going down, probably at peak now is the thought, I would be staggered if lockdown does not get shifted to end of may early june at least.

How about the number of admissions though, that is surely key?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Resigned to believing it'll be more like July / August.

I don't think it'll be a "right, panic over, everyone as you were". They'll take some sort of staggered approach like, people who have had it and survived can go out and certain businesses can reopen before others. Do that for a bit and then, if a second wave doesn't hit, release the next bunch of people. If they do it that way reckon it'll be the oldest and the 1.5m most at risk who'll be in lockdown the longest.

I dunno, could be wrong.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
If London has peaked then isn't it quite possible some parts of the country haven't peaked yet?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Which hospital? I understand if you don't wish to say.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This is a bit weird isnt it

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ents-unable-to-shed-coronavirus-idUSKCN2240HI

"Chinese doctors in Wuhan, where the virus first emerged in December, say a growing number of cases in which people recover from the virus, but continue to test positive without showing symptoms, is one of their biggest challenges as the country moves into a new phase of its containment battle.

Those patients all tested negative for the virus at some point after recovering, but then tested positive again, some up to 70 days later, the doctors said. Many have done so over 50-60 days."

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If London has peaked then isn't it quite possible some parts of the country haven't peaked yet?

I think that could well be true and explains why it's more of a plateau than a peak nationally, as different areas have slightly differing peaks.

However, I believe that here the reporting lag works to our benefit and I think we may be past the worst of the first wave as, even though the daily numbers haven't dropped much, the trend is downwards.

Where the reporting lag works against us is that the total numbers announced today will be 30%-40% less than the true numbers.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
This is an interesting thread re how many people may have already had covid:

[TWEET]1252943299175989249[/TWEET]

I would expect that as more information becomes available on random testing over the next few days or weeks, these various reports on the numbers who have already had Covid should stop swinging wildly from one extreme to the other and start to centralise on a consistent set of figures. (Hopefully at the higher end).

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
This is an interesting thread re how many people may have already had covid:

[TWEET]1252943299175989249[/TWEET]

Yeah, still quite a small number isn't it. If 4-7% getting infected means our hospitals are completely at capacity, imagine what 40-70% infection rate would have looked like.

So if we can somehow balance this out with 5% infected every month, running our hospitals close to capacity but not over, it will take 16 months of some kind of social distancing-measures to get us to the magic 80% 'herd immunity' figure.

I'm sure my maths is dodgy. Sake, I HOPE my maths is dodgy......

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I'm just back from my walk. Some further observations in addition to those from shopping earlier:

I don't think the air is as clean as it has been of late.
There is far more traffic noise and traffic itself than there has been.
Vans are definitely about more. Either more people in a trade are just out randomly driving today or more of them are going back to doing jobs and people are wanting them to do work for them again.
A bus went past with more people on board than I've seen on a bus for a while.
More people about. Definitely more people about on the ground.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Press conf underway......................I'm kind of hoping one of the journos asks General Carter a particularly stupid question, and he goes all 'army' on them rather than 'politician' :lolol::lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm just back from my walk. Some further observations in addition to those from shopping earlier:

I don't think the air is as clean as it has been of late.
There is far more traffic noise and traffic itself than there has been.
Vans are definitely about more. Either more people in a trade are just out randomly driving today or more of them are going back to doing jobs and people are wanting them to do work for them again.
A bus went past with more people on board than I've seen on a bus for a while.
More people about. Definitely more people about on the ground.

This.

It’s totally changed from a fortnight ago, when it was often minutes between seeing each car. Not just vans, loads of cars up at the Dyke, spread over various car parks and verges, on the road the odd car hitting big speeds for an hilarious laugh. Some police forces catching people doing 3 or 4 times over limits. We saw many extended families out today, grandads carrying their grandkids, a two fingers to social distancing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here