Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
This feels worth me returning to make a quick post. It's from Imperial College’s Covid19 Response Team which has been advising the UK government:

View attachment 121093

seen the number highlighted elsewhere (possibly from same source), a positive is this is a quarter of earlier high end estimates.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I’m struggling to understand the non closure of schools. Apparently children are not suffering from the virus but can be carriers. That leaves teachers in a very vulnerable position as the only profession required to not work from home and every day be in a public place with hundreds of potential carriers.

I am concerned as my partner is a teacher and is pregnant... and still having to work.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It's a real shame no one is getting tested, and therefore this is mostly theory.

If I knew I'd had it for sure (i.e confirmed test) and that was that, I'd do exactly as you said and volunteer. However, without a test there is, instead, a chance I'll infect the very people I want to help. I'm not taking that chance and others shouldn't either.

I know a vaccine is being worked on but is there any way at all to test for resistance / antibodies after the fact?

Yes, this is the field of serology.

it's a work in progress for this virus: https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/11...eveal-full-scope-of-u-s-coronavirus-outbreak/

One of the medical chaps alongside Boris this afternoon said that this was the one thing that would be a game-changer and that they were working very hard on. Sounded a while off yet though.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Anyone else equally worried about the economic implications of all of this?

In just a few short weeks businesses will be going out of business in their droves - airlines, retailers, restauranteurs, (dare I say) football clubs. I could go on and on.

Unemployment rates rising exponentially, defaulting on mortgages, repossessions, homelessness....

I don’t think we’re dealing with just the Coronavirus here - we could be looking at serious social unrest on a global scale of which we’ve never seen before.

Best case scenario we can hope for is a state bail out much like the one in 2008 followed by ten years of austerity.

No wonder Boris has stopped short of a mandated lockdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I saw a few of these stories too. A bit of digging and you find they all seem to have had conditions that make them susceptible. One fearmongering person put out that their 25 year old boyfriend was at deaths door, put a whole paragraph of fear only to slip in the fact that he previously had a full on bout of TB! A few more were major asthma sufferers. It's dishonest and not right to be scaring the younger people who should be just fine to fight this thing off, it could hurt everyone if they start piling into hospital beds because of this fear mongering.

Whilst that's true, I personally have a bicuspid aortic valve (which means blook leaks backwards through my aortic valve) - I'm fit and healthy generally but I don't know whether that would put me at greater risk of being susceptible. I'm entitled to flu jabs and get text messages telling me that I am at HIGH RISK (in capital letters), so maybe that does, I dunno.

There are also a lot of young, fit people kicking around with asthma. I do feel more needs to be done to let people know if they have a condition that puts them it risk - it's hard to find anything concrete.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Just looked to see if I could order online for my aunt in Southwick. No available slot from Sainsbury's in next three weeks.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The NHS has been underfunded for so many years and now thousands will die because of it

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

In just a few short weeks businesses will be going out of business in their droves - airlines, retailers, restauranteurs, (dare I say) football clubs. I could go on and on.

oh yes its large concern. this will definately lead to recession, only a matter of how deep and long.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
The NHS has been underfunded for so many years and now thousands will die because of it

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

well done for highlighting. i wonder how many multiples of funding would be required to prevent any death from this event?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Unemployment rates rising exponentially, defaulting on mortgages, repossessions, homelessness....

I don’t think we’re dealing with just the Coronavirus here - we could be looking at serious social unrest on a global scale of which we’ve never seen before.

Best case scenario we can hope for is a state bail out much like the one in 2008 followed by ten years of austerity.

No wonder Boris has stopped short of a mandated lockdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, no question it’s a concern.

Actually my worry is that the economic fallout could be more dangerous than the virus itself.

That said it’s too soon to wave the white flag just yet (economically speaking). I understand vaccines are being trialled as of now, and with the big GLOBAL $$$ on the line, there’s a huge worldwide incentive to get a cure.

Also South Korea appears to have plateaued.. now that is good news I’ve not seen reported as much as it should be.

The worlds economy has bounced back from worse. It’s funny, many weeks ago I was arguing with folk here who were laughing this off as ‘just a flu mate’, and myself, Bozza and a few others were labelled doom mongers. Now the pendulum has swung the other way and it’s the end of the world.

Stay safe, stay smart, stay supplied, stay clean and maintain healthy perspective folks.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Thanks for posting that. I was in A&E the last time I had a bout of Flu with my Asthma and I was beginning to become a little anxious about the thought of this Spring being my last one. This has reassured me quite a lot tonight.

I’m asthmatic and am showing mild symptoms of Coronavirus. Its a bit odd as I’m quite short of breath and my chest feels quite tight, but I’m not suffering with any of the wheeziness that I usually get if my asthma flares up. This would seem to support what was written in the article that Stat shared.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
seen the number highlighted elsewhere (possibly from same source), a positive is this is a quarter of earlier high end estimates.

Notice from that very same document the ringing endorsement of school closures. I get why they haven't.done so yet but I cant imagine it's far off

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’m asthmatic and am showing mild symptoms of Coronavirus. Its a bit odd as I’m quite short of breath and my chest feels quite tight, but I’m not suffering with any of the wheeziness that I usually get if my asthma flares up. This would seem to support what was written in the article that Stat shared.

I have these symptoms too but my temperature is staying well in the normal zone. No real cough to speak of yet either.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
I have these symptoms too but my temperature is staying well in the normal zone. No real cough to speak of yet either.

Same here, I had a bit of a dry cough a few days ago, but haven’t had a fever at all. My temperature has been a little higher than usual, but still in the normal range. I’m really hoping this is corona, as if it is it looks like I’ve got away lightly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here