Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Of course I support those actions but they seem like weak propaganda to me. Hancock has put a lot of Political spin into his statement. The decision to actively use war analogy style language is Orwellian and disturbing (although completely expected from this mob.)

To stand back and say that you shouldn’t criticise the government in times of crisis does not wash with me. I’m with the 200+ scientists who have actively got together and called the government out on the mistakes they are making. Once academics get back to their institutions on Monday, the criticism from the scientific community is going to go off the scale. I suspect the government will have some sort of ‘criticism suppression’ measures in the bill they need to pass; Corbyn is a bigger mug than I thought if he expects to receive a draft to scrutinise prior to it sailing straight through Parliament.

How many scientists are there in the UK? 201, 300, 500, 1,000, 10, 000 or 100, 000? I’ll go for a figure that puts your 200 into a minority.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Do the government seriously think over 70s will self isolate and sit at home for 4 months ? Ridiculous, no one of free will would do that especially if not ill. I am sure most would prefer to get out and take their chances

Even if they can, what happens after the four months is up?

The virus will still be working its way through the UK population, even it slowly due to social distancing measures.

A vaccine could still be 8-14 months away (and many suggest this is optimistic).

I guess in four months we will know a lot more about this virus, and there may be new therapeutics, but it could be that after four months, the instruction is to go for another four.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I suspect it was merged into this - bloody Nazi mods :annoyed:

Good point though. Does anyone on NSC have it/know of someone close to them who has it ? (None of that 6 degrees of separation malarkey)

Friend. Not the closest, but only one step further away.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
We keep going over this one: because China have locked up many tens of millions of people, where "locked up" literally means that.

If people aren't mixing the virus can't spread. It's really that simple, and short-term it's clearly a tactic that will work - you don't need fancy science modelling for that one.

The big question China has is how they progress from here. Is it really practical to take the lid off things, let life return to normal, force quarantine any international arrivals and not have the virus bubble up again?
I don't have time to read every post on here. I know you're on it all day ;)

Question ... There are still lots of people with coronavirus in China and it is still spreading at a small rate. Why are they going back to work and celebrating 'the end' of it. Surely they will be back to square one in a few weeks, they don't seem to think that ??

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't have time to read every post on here. I know you're on it all day ;)

Question ... There are still lots of people with coronavirus in China and it is still spreading at a small rate. Why are they going back to work and celebrating 'the end' of it. Surely they will be back to square one in a few weeks, they don't seem to think that ??

It's the big question about their approach - no one knows.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Do the government seriously think over 70s will self isolate and sit at home for 4 months ? Ridiculous, no one of free will would do that especially if not ill. I am sure most would prefer to get out and take their chances

Just spoken to my Mum who is 70, she doesn’t think her and my Dad (who’s 73) could spend the next 4 months locked up in the house with no visitors. I think they’d be more at risk of killing each other than succumbing to Coronavirus. They’re both in very good health and enjoy a wide range of activities, of course I don’t want them put at risk, but 4 months in isolation? Then what? It doesn’t sound like this will have gone away by then and I’m pretty sure we won’t have a vaccine by then either.

What about those who are approaching 70? Will they be free to come and go as they please until their 70th birthday, at which point they get locked up? Doesn’t sound like a very fun birthday party!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
the alternative is people go out, catch the virus en masse and thousands of people who would otherwise be saved from car accidents, heart attacks, appendicitis etc will die because the NHS is overwhelmed.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Even if they can, what happens after the four months is up?

The virus will still be working its way through the UK population, even it slowly due to social distancing measures.

A vaccine could still be 8-14 months away (and many suggest this is optimistic).

I guess in four months we will know a lot more about this virus, and there may be new therapeutics, but it could be that after four months, the instruction is to go for another four.

How does a globally interdependent world and all the associated economies close down for 2-4-6 months? The virus is scary. The knock on effects terrifying.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
the alternative is people go out, catch the virus en masse and thousands of people who would otherwise be saved from car accidents, heart attacks, appendicitis etc will die because the NHS is overwhelmed.

I get that but why has no other country in the world suggested a 4 month lock in for over 70s ?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
It's the big question about their approach - no one knows.
So I guess we can only cling to that at the moment. Either the summer or 3/4 months of mutation will stop it at the moment.

The risk of stopping work and quarantining everyone would be just too damaging to the economy and business....I mean we actually work unlike the Italians and Spanish :)

Quarantine the old and very sick. Everyone else stay home as much as possible. Let's see where we are in a few months.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So I guess we can only cling to that at the moment. Either the summer or 3/4 months of mutation will stop it at the moment.

The risk of stopping work and quarantining everyone would be just too damaging to the economy and business....I mean we actually work unlike the Italians and Spanish :)

Quarantine the old and very sick. Everyone else stay home as much as possible. Let's see where we are in a few months.

I think that's probably it. This week has illustrated just how fast things can change hour on hour. Four months feels a lifetime away right now.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
One thing not being talked about enough is the decision just to test people who have been hospitalised. This is an absolutely disastrous policy. Widespread testing is key. There is a decline in cases in South Korea mainly because they are testing 20,000 people a day, including drive thru tests. And it's having an impact.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I get that but why has no other country in the world suggested a 4 month lock in for over 70s ?
Seems like a lot of other places are suggesting a lock in for everyone indefinitely at the moment which is even worse. At least the UK government is being more pragmatic.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Just spoken to my Mum who is 70, she doesn’t think her and my Dad (who’s 73) could spend the next 4 months locked up in the house with no visitors. I think they’d be more at risk of killing each other than succumbing to Coronavirus. They’re both in very good health and enjoy a wide range of activities, of course I don’t want them put at risk, but 4 months in isolation? Then what? It doesn’t sound like this will have gone away by then and I’m pretty sure we won’t have a vaccine by then either.

What about those who are approaching 70? Will they be free to come and go as they please until their 70th birthday, at which point they get locked up? Doesn’t sound like a very fun birthday party!

My Mum's 84 and in good health for her age. We're taking her out for dinner this afternoon. I'll pick a restaurant that is quite spacious and hopefully won't be too busy, (and take great delight in asking her if she has washed her hands, if she leaves the table) but that's all the realistic precautions we will take.

I reckon she would be ready to kill me if I tried to lock her up for 4 months.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
One thing not being talked about enough is the decision just to test people who have been hospitalised. This is an absolutely disastrous policy. Widespread testing is key. There is a decline in cases in South Korea mainly because they are testing 20,000 people a day, including drive thru tests. And it's having an impact.
Yes I would like to read more on South Korea. What they seem to be doing is incredible. I believe you get a text whenever you walk into an area that has had lots of infections as well, they seem so advanced.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here