Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wow.

I think anyone in this thread should definitely watch it before commenting further.

After seeing that poor, young girl suffer I'm suddenly a lot less casual about getting it.
It's only a cold

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Only if there’s a minimum 60% alcohol content.

there are many other chemicals that will do the job, bleach, chlorine, peroxide, which are in these products.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Wanna know what it feels like being a bartender during this Covid 19 outbreak?

Remember the band that kept playing as The Titanic sank?

Thats us! :thumbsup:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
It's only a cold

Pop onto the running thread where you’ll find it’s just a media frenzy.

To be fair, it IS even less than a cold for certain age groups. So they're not wrong in a sense.

It's just incredibly and abhorrently self-regarding to say so when it is anything but for other age groups.

Unfortunately we have no shortage of people who are very inward thinking amongst the very young, who are unable to conceptualise their own mortality let alone their actions affecting anyone elses.

Dec 29, 2011
The population of the world is probably too many as of today, so diseases like this might actually be a good thing in the long run in controlling the population. Nature trying to redress the balance.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
To be fair, it IS even less than a cold for certain age groups. So they're not wrong in a sense.

It's just incredibly and abhorrently self-regarding to say so when it is anything but for other age groups.

Unfortunately we have no shortage of people who are very inward thinking amongst the very young, who are unable to conceptualise their own mortality let alone their actions affecting anyone elses.

That’s completely and utterly wrong.

Multiply this up over populations of millions/billions and people in all age groups will suffer badly and die.

Many age groups seem to be fortunate to be very low-risk. Nothing in the data to date suggests that anyone is no-risk.

A fatality rate of 0.2% still means 1 in 500 dies. If you’re in that age group you have very good odds but at my closest high school that still converts to three grieving families.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
The population of the world is probably too many as of today, so diseases like this might actually be a good thing in the long run in controlling the population. Nature trying to redress the balance.

Sickening.

The fact you sound completely ignorant with regards to population growth and how it will plateua still doesn't give you any excuse to suggest a virus that has killed and will continue to kill thousands of people is a "good thing".

Only someone engaging in flights of fancy like nature fighting back, as if it has sentience, could conjure up such insensitivity at this time.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
That’s completely and utterly wrong.

Multiply this up over populations of millions/billions and people in all age groups will suffer badly and die.

Many age groups seem to be fortunate to be very low-risk. Nothing in the data to date suggests that anyone is no-risk.

A fatality rate of 0.2% still means 1 in 500 dies. If you’re in that age group you have very good odds but at my closest high school that still converts to three grieving families.

It is wrong yes, but that's how they see it having engaged with many students.

Once you move down through each generation's mortality rate, you reach odds where they are satisfied in dismissing this thing, even now.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Even if me my wife and children do live to see the other side of this, and my sick parents avoid it? which is by no means a given...... many other families who all hope the same today, won’t. There will be many weeping families burying precious family members. ‘I’m alright jack, it only kills the old and those with pre existing conditions‘

I just don’t understand the lack of humanity for the fellow man by people who say such things. We live in this free, peaceful, liberal society because of the sacrifices of elder generations. Those in there 40’s plus will likely have parents who sacrificed much for us. The flippant comments that it’s ok to toss them away, because it’s not me is a real Shame on the ’look at me’ selfie society.

This absolutely has the potential to be the biggest unmitigated national disaster in many of our lives. It’s a tragedy of monumental proportions unfolding across Europe. Sick people without covid getting lobbed out of hospitals. Families cut off from each other, death in many others, a health service that will be stretched to breaking point with many not able to be attended to. Sounds like an apocalypse film. But it could really be just a matter of weeks away.

God bless our remarkable elderly generation to whom we owe so much. we may not be able to prevent deaths, but we should never as a society have such scant disregard to be willing to accept it.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Even if me my wife and children do live to see the other side of this, and my sick parents avoid it? which is by no means a given...... many other families who all hope the same today, won’t. There will be many weeping families burying precious family members. ‘I’m alright jack, it only kills the old and those with pre existing conditions‘

I just don’t understand the lack of humanity for the fellow man by people who say such things. We live in this free, peaceful, liberal society because of the sacrifices of elder generations. Those in there 40’s plus will likely have parents who sacrificed much for us. The flippant comments that it’s ok to toss them away, because it’s not me is a real Shame on the ’look at me’ selfie society.

This absolutely has the potential to be the biggest unmitigated national disaster in many of our lives. It’s a tragedy of monumental proportions unfolding across Europe. Sick people without covid getting lobbed out of hospitals. Families cut off from each other, death in many others, a health service that will be stretched to breaking point with many not able to be attended to. Sounds like an apocalypse film. But it could really be just a matter of weeks away.

God bless our remarkable elderly generation to whom we owe so much. we may not be able to prevent deaths, but we should never as a society have such scant disregard to be willing to accept it.

Great post.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Why is our government not listening.

Because for 50 years the party presently providing the government has been pretending, or worst case believing, that there's no such thing as 'society', and acting on that premise.

Why bother providing public goods in a country where half the political nation, and one of the two largest parties, doesn't believe that the word 'public' has any actual real-world referrent?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The coronavirus outbreak is the biggest public health emergency in a generation.

It calls for dramatic action, at home and abroad, of the kind not normally seen in peacetime.

Our goal is clear. The over-riding objective is to protect life. Sadly 21 people have already died in the UK, and the fact that most had underlying health conditions does not make the grief of their families any lesser, nor our compassion for their family and friends any weaker. We must all do everything in our power to tackle this virus.

We have a plan, based on the expertise of world-leading scientists. Herd immunity is not a part of it. That is a scientific concept, not a goal or a strategy. Our goal is to protect life from this virus, our strategy is to protect the most vulnerable and protect the NHS through contain, delay, research and mitigate.

We are working through our clear action plan. Like all our decisions, the plan is based on the bedrock of the science, with maximum transparency. We will do the right thing at the right time, based on the best available science.

To protect life, we must protect the vulnerable, and protect the NHS and flatten the curve.

From the moment coronavirus emerged, we have followed those goals.

We have acted to contain the spread of the virus so far. We have carried out some of the highest number of tests in Europe, our surveillance testing is among the most sophisticated in the world and the UK’s plans for the rapid response to and mitigation of the spread of an epidemic are ranked number one above any other country by the Global Health Security Index. Most importantly of all, thanks to our record levels of tracing the number of people who came into contact with the first people who caught the virus, the initial growth was slowed significantly, and the growth of the virus in the UK has been slower than many major European countries. This action has already prevented the NHS being put under greater pressure in its hardest season of the year. We have bought valuable time to prepare.

Last week we stepped into the next phase of our response. We took action to advise anyone with symptoms, however mild, to stay at home. This advice from the Chief Medical Officer will be reinforced with a national communications campaign so everyone knows what they can do: how you can play your part. The new campaign will set out the latest clinical advice, for people to stay at home for seven days if they develop a high temperature or new continuous cough. We can all keep doing our bit by continuing to wash our hands more often, for 20 seconds or more and having plenty of tissues around to ‘catch it, bin it, kill it’. Following this new advice may sound simple, but it could be lifesaving for others around us, especially the most vulnerable.

Today, we take further action, with a call to arms for a drive to build the ventilators and other equipment the NHS will need. We are better equipped thanks to the NHS than most other countries, but we will need many more. We now need any manufacturers to transform their production lines to make ventilators. We cannot make too many.

In the near future we will take further steps. SAGE has advised the next planned effective interventions will need to be instituted soon, including measures to ‘shield’ older and medically vulnerable people from the virus. Everyone will need to help to ensure they get the support they need to stay at home, and to protect them from the consequences of isolation: loneliness, and a lack of support. Government, local councils, charities, friends and neighbours will need to be part of the national effort to support the shielded. We will provide expert advice and support as soon as we progress to this phase.

Next week we will publish our emergency bill, to give the Government the temporary powers we will need to help everyone get through this. The measures in it allow for the worst case scenario. I hope many of them won’t be needed. But we will ask Parliament for these powers in case they are.

Our generation has never been tested like this. Our grandparents were, during the Second World War, when our cities were bombed during the Blitz. Despite the pounding every night, the rationing, the loss of life, they pulled together in one gigantic national effort.

Today our generation is facing its own test, fighting a very real and new disease. We must fight the disease to protect life. Everyone will be asked to make sacrifices, to protect themselves and others, especially those most vulnerable to this disease. With our clear action plan, listening to the advice of the best science, and taking the action we all must, I am sure we will rise to this challenge.
Why didn't they start building the ventilators 6 weeks ago ?

Why wait until today?

If we didn't need them, there was always going to be an overseas market.

The article smells of spin.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
If you havnt done so already I strongly suggest you look into religious insurance for CV.
Had a policy provider knocking on the doorstep today who guaranteed immunity from CV provided I pray to be free from it, believe in the power of the Lord and make a donation.
They seem to be the only people offering insurance on this……..…worth looking into I reckon. Stupid not to consider it.

Pay with a credit card and money protected.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No offence but WTF?

Why are you out and about when you have such severe flu symptoms? Don’t you think that’s selfish given the harm this thing does to older generations?

Just wow at how some people still aren’t taking this seriously. Honestly this attitude right here is why governments have to enforce lockdowns.

Because it isn’t a “severe flu”. I’ve taken my temperature and it’s not above the level considered a “temperature”. The cough has also not fully materialised. It’s been at the level where I couldn’t tell if it was psychosomatic or not, if that makes sense. However, I am self isolating as I still feel mildly feverish.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Coronavirus / Covid-19

We have a plan, based on the expertise of world-leading scientists. Herd immunity is not a part of it. That is a scientific concept, not a goal or a strategy. Our goal is to protect life from this virus, our strategy is to protect the most vulnerable and protect the NHS through contain, delay, research and mitigate.

This is very reassuring if true. Any strategy based on Herd Immunity seemed cruel at best and ignorantly evil at worst. I don’t believe
Matt Hancock however, because they didn’t screen or quarantine travellers from Italy when it became a hotspot or prevent 3,000 Madrid fans from visiting Liverpool as Spain was clearly heading for hotspot status very soon. Did they want Covid-19 spread early as part of the ‘flattening the curve’ strategy? Contrast this action with those of the USA and New Zealand who are either shutting down all flights to their countries or putting in a 14 day quarantine (New Zealand are doing this on six cases, they won’t be locking down their public anytime soon because they are in control).

Today, we take further action, with a call to arms for a drive to build the ventilators and other equipment the NHS will need. We are better equipped thanks to the NHS than most other countries, but we will need many more. We now need any manufacturers to transform their production lines to make ventilators. We cannot make too many.

The NHS has been starved of funding for years and our ratio of ICU beds to people is a national disgrace. We are so far behind the likes of Germany and Italy it’s frightening. Transforming ‘production lines’ is something from WW2 that I never thought we’d see but it does sound like a complete load of Hancock fantasist nonsense, I’m hoping someone sense checked that for the man. How many of our factories can actually change to making ventilators from the thousands of other things they make in the time required?

Our generation has never been tested like this. Our grandparents were, during the Second World War, when our cities were bombed during the Blitz. Despite the pounding every night, the rationing, the loss of life, they pulled together in one gigantic national effort.

And here is the anticipated WW2 Blitz comparison we can now expect with almost every government ministerial or Prime ministerial communication. It’s going to ring like ‘get Brexit done’ as Johnson privately dons a bowler hat and cigar, winks, smiles and admires himself in the mirror.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here