Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

D

Deleted member 22389

I think he was bombarded by the virus by being in contact with so many who had it, this can apparently increase the life threatening risk substantially.

True, and that is the same for the thousands of people in Whuhan. I just hope we don't get in to that situation here, that's all.

D

Deleted member 22389

Stockmarkets are by their nature, forward leading indicators.
Chinese stocks reached the panic stage just over a week ago when they fell 8% in one day.
They've now risen for 7 days straight, reversing those losses - confidence that the worst fears won't eventuate and this virus will be manageable over the longer term.
Virus...what virus ?

View attachment 120111

I agree, over the last couple of the days the numbers of people being recorded with having coronavirus has come down in China, however it is still very early days.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Chinese Formula 1 Grand Prix cancelled

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
Exactly - it's the same as 'normal' flu - dangerous for those in a vulnerable condition!

In the case of Balfour parents as per my post above, I suspect it's a good opportunity to get their kids away early on a half term break/take the day off work in to have to look after little Johnny!

Or like myself, as a Diabetic (and Balfour parent), I want to minimise the risk of catching it. The information given to parents was pretty vague as you know!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I think he was bombarded by the virus by being in contact with so many who had it, this can apparently increase the life threatening risk substantially.

That doesn't really make sense. Either you have the virus or you don't.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
True, and that is the same for the thousands of people in Whuhan. I just hope we don't get in to that situation here, that's all.

You simply cannot compare a first response doctor working every single day in understaffed and underresourced chinese hospital with thousands of people in the same city and claim they are the same. That's simply a ludicrous comparison.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Or like myself, as a Diabetic (and Balfour parent), I want to minimise the risk of catching it. The information given to parents was pretty vague as you know!

Yep and understandably as unfortunately one of the more vulnerable individuals to this virus, and of course there are other unique cases. I was just very surprised to see that there were nearly half of the school with a unique case!

And my point being that for all those kids not in school, will they be going out at the weekend, still going to parties etc with friends that HAVE been to school?

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
All the deaths, bar two (I believe), have occurred in China, with the vast majority in Hubei province. It is all well and good quoting the mortality rate but you cannot take that figure and transfer it directly to the UK or anywhere else in Western Europe. The healthcare systems and population demographics are so vastly different that there is no way the virus will be as bad in the UK as it is in China.

The same can be said for influenza mortality which is significantly higher in South East Asia, Sub Saharan Africa and the Eastern Mediterranean. Some will say that's due to vaccinations but in reality PHE still struggles to vaccinate a high proportion of at risk people across the country.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Ccccccovid
Nnnnnnnnineteen

All those who remember the virus
They won't forget what they've seen
Destruction of Chinese in their prime
Because of Covid-nineteen

Soylent Blue

Banned
Mar 13, 2019
Is that really applicable? If it’s still around in say 6 months it might be but as of this moment the sample size and lack of correlation would say not. Saying that I’m not a statistician and so may well be wrong.

Interesting a number of experts predicted that the infection rate would tail off after 10-14 days ... some 2 weeks ago. This appears to be happening in China so it would appear we are following normal characteristics of flu breakouts.

What happens outside of China is another matter ...

If this had been SARS the mortality rate would have been around 4,000.

Indeed a bed wetter paradise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Firstly, the difference is between global and local population samples, I cant remember the term exatly and its bugging me so will go look it up.

As for tailing of the idea is to get the rate of infection from r2.5 or whatever it is down to r1 which means it dies out. This is beginning to work but at the price of 600 million people under quarantine. There are unknowns which can push the fatality rate and infection rates up and down in statistics, added to that we have a secretive totolitarian state.

I'm quitting trying to work it out and wait and see what happens, no point fretting over it or needlessly making people wet the bed.:flounce:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The fear continues but nobody has commented on my post where Steve Walsh who caught it in Singapore, has recovered.

It’s like you only want bad news!
I'm not joining in with histrionics, but are you really suggesting that there's nothing to worry about because one person hasn't died from it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here