Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
So he isn't qualified to comment on PHE's response to this outbreak at all. Just trying to make a name for himself and further his political goals. Nice one Samer!

Yep, seems that way.

I don't understand how someone who isn't a medical professional is qualified to sit on a board of health? Feels like it would be a prerequisite for the job.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
No they don’t. People who wear masks wear them to stop their own germs infecting others by droplet infection.

Yes - sorry you are correct. I meant it does help stop the spread of the virus.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Not according to the experts on R5L. You would need an airtight mask with a very fine filter as Corona Viruses are tiny and you need to change it regularly to avoid moisture. You would also need goggles to protect your eyes. The flimsy paper masks you see people wearing won’t stop anything.

Yeah, I meant they do help in stopping spreading it.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
1. It doesn't "offend" me.
2. I have lived and worked all over the world.

So you "guessed" wrong
Fair enough, I just assumed that seeing someone wash their hands, wear a mask or take similar hygienic efforts during a world flu outbreak wouldn't cause you to take a 'double take' or assume that said person wants to become a CEO.

My apologies if I misunderstood.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Deadly Chinese Wuhan virus

Oh, OK thank you. I heard it from a Brighton Uni student ... guess I misunderstood

(Or they don't know what Uni they go to!)

I can confirm it’s not a Brighton Uni student but will let you know when one catches it.

The City of Brighton & Hove has the highest number of Chinese nationals outside of London - a lot of them at Sussex Uni and very very few at Brighton.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

People keep perpetuating this myth. for masks read surgical masks. Some articles correctly write 'there is little proof surgical masks stop infection' even that statement is not definitive. (Wheras change 'surgical masks' to 'face masks' as if they're all the same - they're not)

N95 which is not the bog standard surgical mask and has much higher protection levels definitely reduces the risk of airborne infection. That's exactly why health care professionals in Wuhan wear them.

If you're near someone with coronavirus who sneezes and you don't touch anything. You can still get it without N95 or higher and you could avoid it with one.

3M N9501 V. I have been watching China news and seen health professionals wearing them.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Question - Can the Corona Virus survive on surfaces? If so, for how long? So, if someone with the Corona Virus coughs into their hands, touches a door handle, then say 5 minutes later I open the same door, then 5 minutes later I pick my nose or touch my tongue, is this likely to transmit it?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The percentage of blokes that don't wash their hands after a crap is horrific.
The other day a guy sat in the cubicle next to mine eating a packet of crisps whilst he was curling one out.
Crunch, munch, plop. Crunch, munch plop. After hearing him clean himself up he went straight back to his pack of crisps and straight out of the door giving the sink a miss.

Mate.

You're right. Proof if any were needed that men are complete animals

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
On the Brighton to Lewes train this morning there were at least 4 people wearing masks. 2 were Asian (who you might culturally expect to wear masks if they were ill) and 2 were white European looking. Also I see most places have sold out of hand gel. People are starting to get concerned if not worried.

If English people are putting fear of death as high as their fear of looking a bit silly, we know we're in trouble

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
You don’t need to rub them. If someone coughs or sneezes nearby you can catch the virus through your eyes.

Apparently (according to the expert on the radio) if someone sneezes in a room the droplets can stay airborne for several minutes so you needn’t even meet the person spreading the virus!

So if I let loose a massive sneeze into the air from my perch at the back of WSU, I could in theory infect hundreds of people *

* unless it was after 85 minutes

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Question - Can the Corona Virus survive on surfaces? If so, for how long? So, if someone with the Corona Virus coughs into their hands, touches a door handle, then say 5 minutes later I open the same door, then 5 minutes later I pick my nose or touch my tongue, is this likely to transmit it?

Their are hundreds of Corina Virus, about 2 thirds of people have had the 3 or 4 doing the rounds the past year. As like any of these virus they spread like most flu virus, so yes virus can stay active longer if they are are in flem or snot than just droplets.

Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.

Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.

Avoid close contact with people who are sick.

Stay home when you are sick.

Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.

Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

9 days.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

yes, its not clear, yes.

its not clear as sources are ranging widely. its not a particularly special virus, just a new strain, and they can survive for several days. however the measure for this is being detectable, that doesnt necessarily mean it would be viable for infection.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
So if I let loose a massive sneeze into the air from my perch at the back of WSU, I could in theory infect hundreds of people *

* unless it was after 85 minutes

Most people normally only affect up to 2 people. The Man from Brighton is classed as a super transmitter and infected about 11. Lots of these people often have immunity. These Virus don't tend to kill people as they want to live and keep the virus going.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Bit harsh calling him a 'Super Spreader'...

Reminded me of this...

10109440.jpg

10109441.jpg

University of Brighton student designs chair to stop 'manspreading'

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
with a massive lag, think time series data.

And yes I think the term bed wetting was made for this topic.

I'd rather be a bedwetter than a licker given the nature of the situation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here