Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
This is like saying seatbelts don't prevent you having car crashes so why make it illegal to not wear them. The point being if you have a crash you're considerably less likely to be seriously injured / die.

Then we should also ban booze, bad food, and lack of exercise all of which contribute massive numbers to death and cancer.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Then we should also ban booze, bad food, and lack of exercise all of which contribute massive numbers to death and cancer.

Well we already tax a lot of bad foods under the so-called "sugar tax" and drinking is already prohibited in many circumstances (e.g. before driving).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Whilst philosophically worthy, doing that today won't help the NHS to any material extent for several years. Getting the vaccine helps the NHS almost immediately.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Well we already tax a lot of bad foods under the so-called "sugar tax" and drinking is already prohibited in many circumstances (e.g. before driving).

Booze related Illness that costs the NHS tens of millions every year has nothing to do with drink driving and the sugar tax is just a stealth tax not a ban or preventative in any way .

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Booze related Illness that costs the NHS tens of millions every year has nothing to do with drink driving and the sugar tax is just a stealth tax not a ban or preventative in any way .

I think you're missing the point. In the sugar tax case, if someone were to develop diabetes after consuming too many sugary things over a long period of time, the amount of tax that person would have paid on the sugary items would go some way to contributing to the cost of their treatment. The same applies to booze and cigarettes too.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-[emoji713 said:
-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;10107639]I think you're missing the point. In the sugar tax case, if someone were to develop diabetes after consuming too many sugary things over a long period of time, the amount of tax that person would have paid on the sugary items would go some way to contributing to the cost of their treatment. The same applies to booze and cigarettes too.

Can you show me how much of those taxes goes to the NHS?

Roland

Banned
Sep 29, 2021

a125b2dbccf7178d591547e814198030.jpg

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
As has already been pointed out, it's not the total number of hospitalisations that's the problem - our healthcare system is already built to deal with the numbers of patients from booze/smoking/sugar-related illnesses. It's predictable, it can be prepared for and resourced. It doesn't stop others from accessing healthcare if they choose not to do those things. But our healthcare system can't cope very well with a sudden increase in hospitalisations due to covid, even if it's a relatively small number.

That's a fantastic article a few posts up from the DT, exactly sums up how I feel. Previously I thought (voluntarily) unvaccinated were stupid and selfish, but ultimately wasn't that bothered if that's what they wanted. But I'm becoming increasingly pissed off at them for potentially taking us all into further restrictions that could have been avoided. I don't think anyone should be forced legally to have a vaccine if they don't want to, but I fully support them being prevented from doing certain things if it means the vast majority of us can get on with our lives without restrictions. Why should the majority of us suffer for their choices?

Roland

Banned
Sep 29, 2021
As has already been pointed out, it's not the total number of hospitalisations that's the problem - our healthcare system is already built to deal with the numbers of patients from booze/smoking/sugar-related illnesses. It's predictable, it can be prepared for and resourced. It doesn't stop others from accessing healthcare if they choose not to do those things. But our healthcare system can't cope very well with a sudden increase in hospitalisations due to covid, even if it's a relatively small number.

That's a fantastic article a few posts up from the DT, exactly sums up how I feel. Previously I thought (voluntarily) unvaccinated were stupid and selfish, but ultimately wasn't that bothered if that's what they wanted. But I'm becoming increasingly pissed off at them for potentially taking us all into further restrictions that could have been avoided. I don't think anyone should be forced legally to have a vaccine if they don't want to, but I fully support them being prevented from doing certain things if it means the vast majority of us can get on with our lives without restrictions. Why should the majority of us suffer for their choices?

You honestly think there wouldn’t be restrictions if everyone was vaccinated? There are barely any covid cases in ICU right now compared to the total number of beds.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
You honestly think there wouldn’t be restrictions if everyone was vaccinated? There are barely any covid cases in ICU right now compared to the total number of beds.

Yes. If everyone was vaccinated, the occurrence of severe illness for the population would be much lower. This obviously leads to fewer people being hospitalised, and it appears to be mostly unvaccinated who are taking up the beds.

But perhaps equally important is that with a lower risk of hospitalisation for the whole population, we could remove/reduce the need for self-isolation. Huge numbers of healthcare staff are currently unable to work due to a positive test. We need to get to a position where this doesn't happen.

Edit to add: clearly right at this moment, there aren't huge numbers in hospital, but the threat of restrictions is due to concern that the numbers will go up considerably over the coming weeks in response to the new variant.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
This graph says it all. Critical care taken up by the vast majority of those unvaccinated. Those that haven't been vaccinated should dwell on that. Selfish and not seeing wider picture seems to sum it up.

cov.png

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
This graph says it all. Critical care taken up by the vast majority of those unvaccinated. Those that haven't been vaccinated should dwell on that. Selfish and not seeing wider picture seems to sum it up.

View attachment 142997

Unfortunately I don't think those that have chosen not to be vaccinated give a ****.

I'll defend the right of anyone to not take the vaccine, we live in a free society. But actions come with consequences. I never thought I'd say this, but I do think it's time for vaccine passports.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

View attachment 142997

this should be the front page of every newpaper with the simple headline "Get Vaccinated". just that. for a week.

and then unvaccinated barred from everything except shopping. we'll be cleared of this plague within a month.

Roland

Banned
Sep 29, 2021

View attachment 142997

That’s admissions not beds taken and nearly all over 60. So unvaccinated under 60 are barely a problem at all. Thanks for clarifying,

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I think the word critical says it all - you dont just get there with a runny nose.

Any bed taken in critical care is a bed that could go to someone who is ill - where they cant be vaccinated from it. Getting vaccinated frees up that bed

And of course, those younger people dont pass it on to their elders? Try and think out of the box.

That’s admissions not beds taken and nearly all over 60. So unvaccinated under 60 are barely a problem at all. Thanks for clarifying,

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think the word critical says it all - you dont just get there with a runny nose.

And of course, those younger people dont pass it on to their elders? Try and think out of the box.

They're in critical care, but just on the floor, or left in an arm chair not a bed

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
an interesting/amusing way to look at Omicron, current death rate is safer than the vaccines (not taking this at face value but thats the data)

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Travis_Kling/status/1473412883396677635[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here