Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
The Reporting of the Vaccine in some media outlets this morning is a disgrace, anti vaxxers wet dream
I must admit I've been a bit surprised at some of the reporting. One of the highlights is that a 3rd booster dose prevents 75% of people from getting symptoms from Omicron. That's a good thing isn't it? I didn't realise it was even that high for Delta with 2 jabs (but could be wrong).

If then only 25% of people show symptoms, surely it's then a much smaller % who get serious illness or hospitalisation.

But I could well be missing something, please feel free to correct me!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I must admit I've been a bit surprised at some of the reporting. One of the highlights is that a 3rd booster dose prevents 75% of people from getting symptoms from Omicron. That's a good thing isn't it? I didn't realise it was even that high for Delta with 2 jabs (but could be wrong).

If then only 25% of people show symptoms, surely it's then a much smaller % who get serious illness or hospitalisation.

Agreed …they should be promoting boosters!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Doesn’t get as many clicks as forecasting armageddon does it………for example lots in various publications again today reporting on yet more ‘expert’ modelling, with as usual the ‘worst case’ being used to drive the article. The modelling has been pretty ineffective so far (and in some cases wildly inaccurate), but you rarely see a look-back at what was forecast to what actually happened.

Here’s an example…….

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/09/the...n-omicron-cases-as-covid-variant-spreads.html

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
No-one is saying you can't celebrate Christmas but you should probably be best advised to do so on your own or within your own household bubble and definitely avoid super spreader events.
You can still celebrate Christmas but you have to do it all alone? You're taking the [deleted] now.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I can see why 2 years ago, the NHS was totally unprepared for the numbers of patients in a pandemic. But why is it still totally unprepared?

internal politics, inter-department power games and general institutional myopia.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
No chance.

I didn’t spend last Christmas alone and wont be spending this one alone.

You are probably one of the reasons we went into lockdown last January and will do again this year.

Yoda

English & European
The following is taken from Dr John Campbell's latest video today. Now, I know the government advisors and SAGE have to plan for the worst in all scenarios, but why does it seem they completely ignoring this data coming out from South Africa?

From Dr Richard Friedland, chief executive officer Netcare (South African Private Health company):

"Omicron variant data, Covid-19 symptoms now are far milder than the first three waves.
Having personally seen many of our patients across our Gauteng hospitals, their symptoms are far milder than anything we experienced during the first three waves.
Approximately 90% of Covid-19 patients currently in our hospitals require no form of oxygen therapy, and are considered incidental cases.
If this trend continues, it would appear that, with a few exceptions of those requiring tertiary care, the fourth wave can be adequately treated at a primary care level.
Of the patients admitted to Netcare hospitals and facilities since 15 November 75% not vaccinated"

Some comparison stats from South Africa:

In the first three waves Netcare, across 49 acute-care hospitals treated 126,000 Covid-19 patients, of whom, 44% required admission 26% required High Care or ICU.
Significantly, all Covid-19 patients admitted were sick and required some form of oxygen therapy. (Compared to only 10% from Omicron)
The high admission rate, as well as the high percentage of patients requiring ICU or high care is indicative of the severity of cases during the first three waves.

Currently, 337 Covid-19 positive patients admitted (72% of these patients are in the Gauteng area and 18% in KwaZulu-Natal).
Of these 337, approximately 10% are on some form of oxygenation versus 100% in the first three waves.
Eight of 337 (2%) are being ventilated of these, two are primary trauma cases.

Dr Fareed Abdullah, Office of Aids and TB Research, SA Medical Research Council:

"80% of admissions below the age of 50 years, throughout the Gauteng province in the last two weeks.
The best indicator of disease severity is measured by the in-hospital death rate.
There were 10 deaths in the in the past two weeks (cohort of 166), making up 6.6% of the 166 admissions. (Compared with 23% for all previous waves)
Four deaths, aged 26-36
Five deaths, aged over 60
There were no Covid-19-related deaths among 34 admissions in the paediatric Covid wards over the last two weeks."

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m about to get my booster at Roffey, Horsham, a 50 mile round trip from Brighton. That’s all that was on offer when my turn came up in November.

Walk ins - a few people are turning up here in the hope, but gutted, are being turned away. Apparently, you cannot rely on nhs info shown on internet hubs.

FWIW, “yesterday all day was a day where every walk in got boostered straight away”.

Well done to the people here running this, also to the vast majority of the public taking Delta and Omicron seriously by getting their boosters.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
You are probably one of the reasons we went into lockdown last January and will do again this year.

If you say so.

I didn’t catch COVID and didn’t pass it on. Not a Christmas nor during the so called lockdown of Jan/Feb.

I tested positive for COVID a few weeks back and wont be catching it again anytime soon.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1469998211863621636?s=20

Can’t trust an African Doctor can we? Certainly not going to trust a Female African doctor.

It's a good job she isn't BLACK as well!

Anyway, she can't be right because SPI-M and LSHTM have done some dodgy modelling and told us there will, optimistically, be 2000 hospital admissions a day. Don't listen to these people with their silly real life data, computer models are the TRUE reality :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here