Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Anyone else get pinged after the Arsenal game? I got a notification last night that I'd spent time on Saturday in the proximity of someone who has tested positive. All I did around people on Saturday was train to and from the game, and the game. PCR test this morning, no reason to think it might be positive.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Anyone else get pinged after the Arsenal game? I got a notification last night that I'd spent time on Saturday in the proximity of someone who has tested positive. All I did around people on Saturday was train to and from the game, and the game. PCR test this morning, no reason to think it might be positive.

I did. Somewhat bizarre though as didn't actually attend at the last minute as my disabled friend chose not to battle the rain. Didn't go out for 2 or 3 days either side of the game. Can't make sense of it as clearly not zapped in anywhere or been near anyone. Especially not on saturday

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I did. Somewhat bizarre though as didn't actually attend at the last minute as my disabled friend chose not to battle the rain. Didn't go out for 2 or 3 days either side of the game. Can't make sense of it as clearly not zapped in anywhere or been near anyone. Especially not on saturday

Maybe it's like the 'pretendance'? If you bought a ticket you were there!!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Where is this new wave of Covid you predicted a few weeks ago?

It's happening, over 40,000 cases today, cases going up significantly in school age children which is now drip feeding it's way through the general population.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The telegraph are reporting tomorrow flu death could reach as collosal 60,000 this winter. Essentially that could be in excess of 500 per day plus covid deaths. Surely now is the time to reintroduce basic frontline measures?

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
The telegraph are reporting tomorrow flu death could reach as collosal 60,000 this winter. Essentially that could be in excess of 500 per day plus covid deaths. Surely now is the time to reintroduce basic frontline measures?

And is not normal on a bad flu year ? Live your life don’t worry ��

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
And is not normal on a bad flu year ? Live your life don’t worry ��

As said on here previously, Crodo and his (the media’s) imaginings need to be taken with a pinch of salt, as they are clearly alarmist.

However, if correct, you cannot dismiss 60,000 deaths to flu as “normal”.

Also, while we don’t all hold Crodo’s Private Fraser approach to the world, some of us are still “worried” about the upcoming Winter months!

Last edited:

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Consequences of lockdown.

I think that is precisely Crodo's point, although to be sure I can't be certain.

Last year's flu numbers were kept unusually low by social distancing, mask wearing and lockdowns.

Crodo has been advocating the possibility that mask wearing and some social distancing may need to be re-introduced to prevent those numbers.

Personally, I think he is waisting his time, as the rhetoric from government is clearly about "get back to your desks, you lazy ********".

I don't think there is a chance of a U turn, unless bodies really do start piling up in the streets.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I think that is precisely Crodo's point, although to be sure I can't be certain.

Last year's flu numbers were kept unusually low by social distancing, mask wearing and lockdowns.

Crodo has been advocating the possibility that mask wearing and some social distancing may need to be re-introduced to prevent those numbers.

Personally, I think he is waisting his time, as the rhetoric from government is clearly about "get back to your desks, you lazy ********".

I don't think there is a chance of a U turn, unless bodies really do start piling up in the streets.
The difficulty is that if (and I think you're right) the proposed flu pandemic is caused by lockdown, then reintroducing lockdown isn't going to make it go away. If we turn it round, what it is saying is that normal social interaction saves 30,000 to 40,000 lives per year by preventing flu epidemics, and therefore getting back to normal is the logical thing to do.

If they can come up with a genuine, believable model about exactly what degree of social interaction will provide reasonable future immunity but tolerable infection/death levels from flu, then it might be worth taking action. But as models so far have been (to say the least) inexact, that won't happen, so in the absence of useful information, we might as well get back to normal.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It's happening, over 40,000 cases today, cases going up significantly in school age children which is now drip feeding it's way through the general population.

Yesterday 40k cases UK, France 4k case

Imagine the hysteria in the British press if it was the reverse?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The difficulty is that if (and I think you're right) the proposed flu pandemic is caused by lockdown, then reintroducing lockdown isn't going to make it go away. If we turn it round, what it is saying is that normal social interaction saves 30,000 to 40,000 lives per year by preventing flu epidemics, and therefore getting back to normal is the logical thing to do.

If they can come up with a genuine, believable model about exactly what degree of social interaction will provide reasonable future immunity but tolerable infection/death levels from flu, then it might be worth taking action. But as models so far have been (to say the least) inexact, that won't happen, so in the absence of useful information, we might as well get back to normal.

I'm not proposing lockdown but if we don't reintroduce some basic measures then there is a possibility further down the line lockdown may be necessary, and then all of the issues will build up again for next winter. So if we were to mandate mask wearing in crowded public places, asking people to work from home where possible and for people to socially distance where possible we will keep case rates down, and avoid any lockdown and most likely keep flu rates down too.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Did france carry out 1.1 million tests on the same day?

Throughout the pandemic France has carried out roughly 45% of the number that the UK has. I am not sure if they are still testing as rigorously, but if so 4k cases sure isn't 45% of the UKs 40k cases.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020

Nobody on here is proposing lockdowns and you know it, just a little bit of caution about the "get back to normal" bit is all some are asking for.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Nobody on here is proposing lockdowns and you know it, just a little bit of caution about the "get back to normal" bit is all some are asking for.
I know that nobody is proposing lockdown, but even the little bit of caution they are proposing is enough to make my mother's social life impossible. And there is little or no evidence to say it will help against the suggested flu epidemic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here