Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I'm not desperate for lockdown, I'm desperate for for not another lockdown and what we have currently is not lockdown. If we release too quickly then that prospect either later this summer or in the Autumn/Winter becomes more of a realistic possibility. I welcome the extension announced today, it is the right decision but it does set a precedent and if case numbers continue to rise they could be very high in another 4 weeks and I don't see how given what the government are doing today that they can then release all restrictions if all the metrics are far worse than they are now with likely higher case numbers, deaths and hospitalisations. Hopefully you are right and the case numbers are starting to level off.

You can check the stats out for yourself.

Deaths have been in single figures in England on most days for a significant while now. As predicted by the president elect of the global epidemiology organisation over 12 month ago, the virus has mutated to become more infectious but effectively non-lethal.

Boris says he is being led by the data. He is lying. The data says deaths are tiny (and you need to bear in mind that a study has shown that approx a third of the deaths recorded as being down to covid actually had nothing to do with covid whatsoever).

The clue that this was going to drag on for as long as Boris could get away with it was the Job Retention Scheme being extended to September. If Boris truly had any intention of releasing us from all measures on 21 June, why would he have set up to bail out businesses until September?

Remember folks. The longer that Boris can drag out the "covid crisis", the longer it will be before people start asking questions about how badly he has ****ed up the whole thing.

God bless our wonderful NHS and let's all offer up a prayer that the government wasn't running the vaccine rollout.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
You can check the stats out for yourself.

Deaths have been in single figures in England on most days for a significant while now. As predicted by the president elect of the global epidemiology organisation over 12 month ago, the virus has mutated to become more infectious but effectively non-lethal.

Boris says he is being led by the data. He is lying. The data says deaths are tiny (and you need to bear in mind that a study has shown that approx a third of the deaths recorded as being down to covid actually had nothing to do with covid whatsoever).

The clue that this was going to drag on for as long as Boris could get away with it was the Job Retention Scheme being extended to September. If Boris truly had any intention of releasing us from all measures on 21 June, why would he have set up to bail out businesses until September?

Remember folks. The longer that Boris can drag out the "covid crisis", the longer it will be before people start asking questions about how badly he has ****ed up the whole thing.

God bless our wonderful NHS and let's all offer up a prayer that the government wasn't running the vaccine rollout.

Deaths is only one metric though, the vaccines will have done their job in the majority of the most vulnerable so even with a 3rd wave I expect deaths will begin to increase but stay low. The big issue now is the pressures on the NHS from hospitalisations, as society has opened up A&E numbers have soared and there is a huge backlog of waiting lists, cancer referrals etc.
The NHS simply cannot afford more acute issues and directing further resources into Covid because that resource has to be diverted from elsewhere. I think we will be in for a very difficult winter with covid and also flu given there is little natural immunity in the population after nearly no cases last winter, we now the NHS can be stretched through winter at the best of times, with flu likley to be far more prominent and a potential resurgence in covid cases through Autumn it is vital the NHS gets some breathing space this summer to get its house in order and start tacking the backlog otherwise I expect further restrictions and possibly more lockdown later in the year.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1404456114792669188[/tweet]

Seems to be more of the "classic" viral symptoms (headache, runny nose & sore throat. No longer is a loss of taste / smell one of the big ones.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Beth Rigby on Sky, playing the ultimate Miss Contrary.

Seriously questioning this delay when there were only 3 deaths, hospitals have not been overwhelmed in the slightest. The government and scientists have gone against their own unlock rules.

If the decision had been the other way, she’d say it was reckless.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Has Boris apologised for cocking it up yet?

Might as well rename it the Boris variant given the help he’s given it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Beth Rigby on Sky, playing the ultimate Miss Contrary.

Seriously questioning this delay when there were only 3 deaths, hospitals have not been overwhelmed in the slightest. The government and scientists have gone against their own unlock rules.

If the decision had been the other way, she’d say it was reckless.

They are already using out of date data.

He said saving “thousands of lives” who?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
He can’t even read out the right date FFS

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
“57-85% reduction in hospitalisations from one dose of vaccine, So 99% of over 50s are protected”

This is better than we thought?

Many in the media had persistently questioned whether our vaccines would actually be effective against the Delta Variant at all.

It’s been apparent for ages, they’re highly effective. Otherwise hospitals would’ve rapidly filled as they did in January.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I was surprised.

I thought he’d go down the Peter Bones completely anti lockdowns/restrictions cause.

Agreed. Or tried to claim it spreads easier if you take a knee.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Many in the media had persistently questioned whether our vaccines would actually be effective against the Delta Variant at all.

It’s been apparent for ages, they’re highly effective. Otherwise hospitals would’ve rapidly filled as they did in January.

media been pushing the negative speculation hard past few weeks. now they have the extended lockdown, look forward to stories about how terrible it will be effecting many.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
media been pushing the negative speculation hard past few weeks. now they have the extended lockdown, look forward to stories about how terrible it will be effecting many.

Which the vast majority of us are intelligent enough to see through and dismiss.

Even Sky (through gritted teeth) reported that “new polling shows that 55% agree of the public agree with Boris extending this facet of the lockdown by 4 weeks”.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Ridiculous decision. We are going to be in lockdown indefinitely. Mark my words.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ridiculous decision. We are going to be in lockdown indefinitely. Mark my words.

The scientists, even tonight, say “We going to have to live with this virus forever”.

What does that forever entail?:

a) Life as we knew it, but with vaccines for all; or

b) Occasional and sustained restrictions on travel, pub/theatres/nightclubs being closed for periods, restaurants too, face masks being the norm in shops for good.

Praying it’s not (b), only someone who doesn’t like others being happy would wish that on mankind.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The scientists, even tonight, say “We going to have to live with this virus forever”.

What does that forever entail?:

a) Life as we knew it, but with vaccines for all; or

b) Occasional and sustained restrictions on travel, pub/theatres/nightclubs being closed for periods, restaurants too, face masks being the norm in shops for good.

Praying it’s not (b), only someone who doesn’t like others being happy would wish that on mankind.

Even I am starting to get suspicious of the agendas behind all this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here