Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The problem with New Zealand is the question of when they open their borders what happens or will they wait for vaccine. When we’re all up and running making money again what state will they be in? Maybe they have the luxury of being a small self sustaining country, I don’t know. I remember some Kiwi leading biologist deriding Boris Johnson’s strategy saying it would lead to a minimum of 300k deaths. Way way off and another example of creating fear and hysteria.

Another thing I can report to everyone is the lockdown in my part of London is eroding by the day anyway. I’ve just been for a walk and hundreds of people about, shops busy with little distancing, parks busy. No one enforcing anything.

As I've said repeatedly in earlier posts, all NZ and Sweden prove is that no one country is like another. However, nothing either did unilaterally will prevent a global recession. It's a global connected world these days (but not a massive conspiracy run by lizards / jews / Bill Gates).

Second point is spot on IMO. I'd been self isolating for close to three weeks but was better enough on Friday to go for a short walk, and go for a run this morning. Friday was a real eye opener - "essential" businesses like Painters and Decorators and South Coast Bikes out and about and loads of people on the seafront. This morning we were back to the small cycle peletons and a group of blokes in wetsuits outside of Maroccos gathered around 2 different cars.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yours is 23% above, ours is around 52%. The cases to deaths ratio for both nations is around 8 and both are holding steady to falling. Sweden is a relative success compared to the UK.

However, New Zealand with a similar geographical isolation and low population, compared to the UK, did much better than Sweden and locked it down good and tight.

There is no right or wrong way when comparing countries because everywhere is different.

I agree, which is why its not possible - as some do (not pointing at the poor fella I quoted, I'm speaking in general terms) - to say "look, there's more dead people in Sweden than in i.e. Norway - not having a lockdown is complete madness".

Why do you think all the world leaders have conspired to kill global economy ? Is it the lizard men?

I'm also a conspiracy theorist and could - though I'm uncertain of the origin and potential purpose of the virus - perhaps give a better answer than "Bill Gates": the banks.

The banks are central to every conspiracy theorist who has been down in the rabbit hole for a lot of years.

The main idea of every non-dayfly conspiracy theory is that the banks rule the world (and not as competitors but as collaborators) through putting states, companies and individuals in debt that could never be repaid in any other way than subservience to these banks, and this virus is certainly going to create a lot of debt. Whether the virus is created with this purpose or is a random occurance no one knows except for the secret societys operating these banks, and they are not going to say "ye its ours" or "nah we did a lot of shit but this is random".

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
These days that's the very defintion of "not well". But then you're also an under 30 with a picture of Farage in a suit as your avatar.

That's the great thing about conspiracy theories. You can be absolutely debunked on point after point and all you need to do is say "aha but what about <insert even more ridicuous theory>" and post links to even more obscure youtube channels that then take the weary sheeple another 10 minutes to debunk, Rinse and repeat.

The funny thing is it's the youtubers making money out of your stupidity.

I'm going to +1 on the Youtube thing. Not for the same reasons as you, but because its destroying my potential tin foil army!

If people are questioning mainstream opinions and go to the very stigmatised and taboo conspiracy theories, they should go about it in a more intellectual manner. George Seldes, Anthony C Sutton, William Blum etcetera - mind opening, factual, feet on earth, yet telling the stories of a world more complex than most will ever realise.

Thats where tinfoilers should search. Piss-drinking yellow old ladies rambling about flat earth on Youtube to get some money to buy their meth - not so much.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Down to 76000 tests at latest count. Makes you wonder how we hit that magic 100k just before the self imposed arbitrary deadline doesn’t it.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Down to 76000 tests at latest count. Makes you wonder how we hit that magic 100k just before the self imposed arbitrary deadline doesn’t it.

Bit like the death and infection figures for me - not bothered about one day, let’s see what the trend looks like over the coming days and weeks. As the target was self-imposed and arbitrary, it’s kind of unimportant now anyway.

If we’re consistently not hitting 100k soon (should continue to increase in fact) then that’ll be a disaster.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Bit like the death and infection figures for me - not bothered about one day, let’s see what the trend looks like over the coming days and weeks. As the target was self-imposed and arbitrary, it’s kind of unimportant now anyway.

If we’re consistently not hitting 100k soon (should continue to increase in fact) then that’ll be a disaster.

Why will it be a disaster, I've heard experts call it anything from arbitrary to pointless. There aren't that many people With covid now so why would you need so many tests?

What we do need is antibody tests but that's an entirely different matter (and is happening on a large scale this week anyway).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

they fudged the numbers by counting home tests sent in the post. headline number less important than being able test key workers reporting ill, have capacity and process to implement track and trace to control infection as we open up.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

I assumed it was a weekend thing like the fact that deaths being reported are lower at weekends

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As I've said repeatedly in earlier posts, all NZ and Sweden prove is that no one country is like another. However, nothing either did unilaterally will prevent a global recession. It's a global connected world these days (but not a massive conspiracy run by lizards / jews / Bill Gates).

Second point is spot on IMO. I'd been self isolating for close to three weeks but was better enough on Friday to go for a short walk, and go for a run this morning. Friday was a real eye opener - "essential" businesses like Painters and Decorators and South Coast Bikes out and about and loads of people on the seafront. This morning we were back to the small cycle peletons and a group of blokes in wetsuits outside of Maroccos gathered around 2 different cars.

Glad you’re well on the road to recovery.

Quite a few folk completely ignoring the lockdown over the last two weeks is my experience, including (bizarrely) elderly grandparents with family, tightly packed pelotons, mates out for strolls. Probably due to the old adage “life’s too short” ... to be deprived of what you want. Thankfully the majority are still being very sensible.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Why will it be a disaster, I've heard experts call it anything from arbitrary to pointless. There aren't that many people With covid now so why would you need so many tests?

What we do need is antibody tests but that's an entirely different matter (and is happening on a large scale this week anyway).

Because we're hoping to implement track and trace - if you get symptoms, or get pinged because you've been exposed to someone else who has, without a test you'll be back isolating.

There isn't a reliable antibody test available for mass rollout yet - June being touted as a 'hope' but WHO still questionining the validity of such tests

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52510194

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I'm wondering what the Washington roundabout will be like tomorrow morning.

After no queues at all for lockdown - absolute joy - when will it get back the usual pre-lockdown 25 minute tailback in the morning ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Getting out of Crawley!

The one thing I would say is the airport is still running partly - So maybe working there.

Three or four flights a day max according to my Gatwick app. I routinely check it out of ghoulish curiousity. For some reason there is a Ryanair daily to Dublin. Minsk is the other regular (Belarus not locked down) and then the very odd flight to Bucharest, Budapest, Kuwait and Taiwan. I assume the first two of those may be return flights from those dropping agriculture workers here?

I can't think it would take more than 20 people to service those and they're pretty spread out. Unless there are private jets and lots of freight?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Three or four flights a day max according to my Gatwick app. I routinely check it out of ghoulish curiousity. For some reason there is a Ryanair daily to Dublin. Minsk is the other regular (Belarus not locked down) and then the very odd flight to Bucharest, Budapest, Kuwait and Taiwan. I assume the first two of those may be return flights from those dropping agriculture workers here?

I can't think it would take more than 20 people to service those and they're pretty spread out. Unless there are private jets and lots of freight?

I imagine there is still stuff going on in the background

His much, who knows

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
France has now confirmed retesting of blood in 24 pneumonia patients back in DECEMBER as positive for Coronavirus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here