Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
re smoking it was noted early in both China and Italy that many hospitalised were smokers. interesting contrast to recent evidence that smokers are less likely to be infected though. biology ees complicated.

I used to smoke heavily and having once had the misfortune of smoking a Chinese cigarette years ago when offered it, I do wonder if the type of cigarette as well is a factor. This Chinese fag was far heavier on the palate and dirtier than a French filter-less Gauloises, by way of a comparison. It was a nasty chest infection that ended my smoking career too, but I do wonder as I say if the type of cigarette smoked, as well as how heavy the smoker was is also a factor.

Does anyone know what traditional/typical Italian fags are like out of interest? :shrug:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Gorgeous. Not that I appreciate your terminology.

Despite me innocently still referring to cigarettes by the slang term I used for them when I smoked, I apologise unreservedly for my wholly ignorant post. The passing of time is no excuse for this ex smoker though, it was a quite hideously offensive oversight on my part, so I apologise unreservedly to you and anyone else offended by my hideously offensive use of that hideously offensive term for cigarettes. I won't use that term again, rest assured.

Are typical Italian cigarettes as gorgeous as Fortuna in Spain used to be though? Whenever I could find some and after getting it out, I always used to love gently caressing one of those cigarettes in Spain in anticipation, before popping it between my lips, to take it all in. :smokin: Gorgeous cigarettes they were.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
"Left-wing firebrand" :laugh:

95263517_2990427534329315_6499687885799686144_n.jpg

Yoda

English & European
368 dead apparently. Even with the usual caveats about weekend reporting, that's still a better number than ones we're used to.

The thing is, that's not even todays numbers looking at the daily spreadsheet.

The figures release today are "Deaths of patients who have died in hospitals in England and have tested positive for Covid-19", with "data up to 5pm 25 April 2020". The majority of these numbers are actually from the 24 April 2020.

So in effect when the daily figure is announced, the bulk number are from 48 hours ago.
CV19 NHS England 26042020.png

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Indeed. And while they're at it they can find a way to close the Shengen area, undo commercial global trade agreements, stop the car, boat, donkey and ski working and find a solution to the artificial borders drawn all over the world by post war bureaucracy. Oh, and also stop viruses from being so damned airborne.

In fact, the best solution is probably just to shoot anyone who sneezes, just in case.

Well New Zealand closed their borders early. Look at their position today. It was common sense.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well New Zealand closed their borders early. Look at their position today. It was common sense.
They closed their borders on the 19th March (and Australia did similar a few hours later). It wasn't that early. But New Zealand is miles from anywhere, and not used by people as a stop-off, so they would naturally have few people with the virus arriving.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Is it a bit odd that so many countries with high rates of death, almost all had dramatic falls in the number of deaths announced yesterday...?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here