Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Still only 305 cases in Brighton and Hove, I just cannot fathom how there is so few cases in such a populated city. I’ve read things like being by the sea/less polluted can help ect whether or not that’s true it will be very interesting to find out in future what is really going on here and why certain cities are so effected whilst others are not.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Still only 305 cases in Brighton and Hove, I just cannot fathom how there is so few cases in such a populated city. I’ve read things like being by the sea/less polluted can help ect whether or not that’s true it will be very interesting to find out in future what is really going on here and why certain cities are so effected whilst others are not.

I wondered that. Maybe with that initial hit it spread wider than thought and left a large number asymptomatic or mildly affected
It's definitely an anomaly especially with so many commuters here and london hit so hard

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Top civil servant says ministers made a 'political decision' to DELIBERATELY snub EU schemes to buy equipment to help coronavirus fight - after Downing Street insisted it missed out because of 'communication problems'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...decision-DELIBERATELY-snub-EU-PPE-scheme.html

Puttng ideology ahead of human life, and then lied about it.

In other times heads would roll...
None of the equipment cited has happened. Anywhere. It is a non story.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Top civil servant says ministers made a 'political decision' to DELIBERATELY snub EU schemes to buy equipment to help coronavirus fight - after Downing Street insisted it missed out because of 'communication problems'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...decision-DELIBERATELY-snub-EU-PPE-scheme.html

Puttng ideology ahead of human life, and then lied about it.

In other times heads would roll...

And at today's briefing Hancock was asked about it and completely refuted it - saying he did get the invite (to join as an associate member) and straight away said yes. He also said that, as of today, nothing had been delivered anywhere in the EU. Somebody's not correct but I can't say who (unless they're talking about different things).

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
None of the equipment cited has happened. Anywhere. It is a non story.

When the decision was taken not to join was it known that none of the equipment would materialise?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Of course, strains don't know what's happening (which is why I used need rather than want
Same difference. The virus neither wants or needs to mutate. It just mutates anyway.

but, if they've got an opportunity to carry on regardless (which they have at present), that's the course they'll take.
Ok, I don't agree with you. They won't take just that one course, they'll take all courses. The virus mutates and if one mutation is able to replicate in the host and also pass to another host, it will. And if it's able to continue passing between hosts, it will, and it will do so alongside any other mutations that can do the same. Some mutations will be so similar that they won't be called different strains. Others can be different enough to be called a different strain. While I appreciate you probably already know/agree with most of that, the point is that the virus can take multiple courses, and it won't not do so purely because the original strain was able to carry on regardless.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Hancock said he said yes to joining the scheme for the non-existent equipment.

A different scheme which started some time after the ventilators scheme being discussed.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why then hasn’t my wife been tested, nor any of her fellow care workers nor her colleagues who are in self-isolation due to having Covid19 symptoms - meaning agency staff have to be used, who haven’t been tested either.

management of the testing? lots of layers going on, not always pulling in same direction at same time. there is antibody testing going on thats been rolled out by private sector, hopefully that will show some promising results soon.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Up to 319 now. I've been looking at this regularly, and it's been trickling up. We can only speculate as to why but, for comparison, Bristol's number is about 50% higher whereas their population is double B&H. If we are on the low side, two factors might be high % of residents able to WfH, and also a comparatively younger population.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Up to 319 now. I've been looking at this regularly, and it's been trickling up. We can only speculate as to why but, for comparison, Bristol's number is about 50% higher whereas their population is double B&H. If we are on the low side, two factors might be high % of residents able to WfH, and also a comparatively younger population.

Someone pointed out Brighton was one of the first areas affected in UK - loads more May have had it way back when it first started and hardly tested

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Someone pointed out Brighton was one of the first areas affected in UK - loads more May have had it way back when it first started and hardly tested

That was my GP and then her friend from Hove became the first UK ‘super spreader’. They traced back his subsequent movements to a yoga class, The Grenadier, her’s to a large Hollingbury doctors surgery. Some people in contact must have got the virus, but self healed and so never knew.

My family work on empty covid-19 prepared wards at Brighton and Worthing. Some staff are now standing down to go back to original duties.

Could this be the calm before the storm, or have the good people of Sussex (in the main) taken social distancing really seriously over the last month or so?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here