Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Judging by previous weeks, I’m imagining and dreading the potentially high death toll today, as it’s the first day outside of weekends/bank holiday death recording.
Same here. Just hoping it's not worsening, but noises from the government haven't give much cause for hope.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Same here. Just hoping it's not worsening, but noises from the government haven't give much cause for hope.

Hospital capacity and new infections have levelled off, as shown with other countries but unfortunately the death toll gets to a certain point stabilises for a while and then drops slowly, and is the last thing to come down.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sorry, you lost me at C4 News.

Ah right, fair enough. Tho for the benefit of the equally hard of thinking: C4 News is twice the length of BBC News, it's twice as smart, half as shrill, digs deeper into issues and gives more respectful amounts of time to ordinary people to share their story, while still finding time to snick in the thoughts of an influential thinker of the times in the final third of the broadcast. Beats the crap out of anything any of the other networks puts up against it. But then it always did. IMHO like

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Ah right, fair enough. Tho for the benefit of the equally hard of thinking: C4 News is twice the length of BBC News, it's twice as smart, half as shrill, digs deeper into issues and gives more respectful amounts of time to ordinary people to share their story, while still finding time to snick in the thoughts of an influential thinker of the times in the final third of the broadcast. Beats the crap out of anything any of the other networks puts up against it. But then it always did. IMHO like

you are stating the bleedin obvious, it's a shame it was necessary

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hospital capacity and new infections have levelled off, as shown with other countries but unfortunately the death toll gets to a certain point stabilises for a while and then drops slowly, and is the last thing to come down.
Yeah obviously we're expecting the number of deaths to come down some time after the number of cases drops, I'm just hoping the number of deaths isn't higher than we've seen before, as we don't yet know what the peak number is.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Agree with all this. Not sure why people would be critical of it?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Is 801 the full uk figure today bit lower than I expected

Yeah, 651 England. Much lower than I had feared, hopefully we have ‘peaked’ but let’s not forget that’s still 800 families losing a loved one, easy to forget that when looking at figures.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Great post-holiday numbers in Sweden. Was fearing a sizeable increase but its all calm and steady. There are a lot of people who doubt it, but I still think that the temperature, humidity and sunlight is doing a job and that it wont be much (though the rest of April could be grim) worse until the fall.

To be honest the figures are becoming so confusing 1 min they say 600+ deaths in Scotland then it's nearly a thousand!

Agreed, people should stop dying for a while as we get this sorted,

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Yeah, 651 England. Much lower than I had feared, hopefully we have ‘peaked’ but let’s not forget that’s still 800 families losing a loved one, easy to forget that when looking at figures.

I know I find the desensitization to it weird to feel relief at such an awful figure because I had expected worse. thoughts with all those affected

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world

Not sure we can infer that we have peaked; the deaths declared each day are the sum of deaths from several days, with today's figure including a death from 23 March. Deaths outside of hospital or not tested for Covid-19 are not included. It's hard to base any sound conclusions on such data.

Are we being cajoled into believing we have peaked so that lockdown restrictions can be lifted? We may have peaked, of course.....

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not sure we can infer that we have peaked; the deaths declared each day are the sum of deaths from several days, with today's figure including a death from 23 March. Deaths outside of hospital or not tested for Covid-19 are not included. It's hard to base any sound conclusions on such data.

Are we being cajoled into believing we have peaked so that lockdown restrictions can be lifted? We may have peaked, of course.....

Don't think so - the Government seem more concerned about maintaining lockdown for the time being and are being pressured the other way...............

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Also as we’ve seen, many of the deaths announced today after from the prior week and earlier. Doesn’t make it ok of course.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Agreed, it's a bit of a mess.

Are we being cajoled into believing we have peaked so that lockdown restrictions can be lifted?
No I don't think so. I don't think the government want us out of lockdown. When they do ease restrictions (for the sake of the economy) they'll still want us socially distancing etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here