Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Ah the paywall! Thanks anyway!

This is good news anyway, the new cases have levelled off last 3 days.

If they are only counting people who have been ill enough to go to hospital though, i wonder what the real number of cases we’ve had in the UK is, could easily be 10, 20 or even more times the total we know.

Have they though? It's been up and down a bit but the last two days have been the highest two days?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Have they though? It's been up and down a bit but the last two days have been the highest two days?

New cases wise it’s been 2800>2500>2400 the last 3 days. Deaths have been higher past 2 days but I think we all know unfortunately that is going to happen.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
To put the number of stiffs into context, it would be useful to know as well (a) total number admitted to hospital and (b) total number discharged home. Is that info available at all?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

Someone on here the other day said the only reason Germany has such a low death rate is because they only register a death by the virus if it’s the main contributing factor to a death, whereas most other countries if you have it in your system at all it goes down as a virus death. Not sure if that’s true and I know Germany have excellent health care but the numbers there don’t seem realistic.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I know China did some pretty extreme things to try to stop the spread.

I'm starting to think they may have also just lied about the numbers tbh.

26393284-8151029-image-a-27_1585144831316.jpg

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-second-highest-tally-coronavirus-deaths.html

When mortuaries opened back up this week in the Hubei capital, people had to wait in line for as long as five hours to receive the remains of their loved ones lost during the epidemic.

One photo published by Caixin shows a truck loaded with 2,500 urns arriving at the Hankou Mortuary. The driver said that he had delivered the same amount to the mortuary the day before.

Another photo shows stacks of urns inside the mortuary. There were seven stacks with 500 urns in each stack, adding up to 3,500 urns.

Taken together with the new shipment, the number of urns on hand at the mortuary looks to be more than double Wuhan’s death toll.

Urns are reportedly being distributed at a rate of 500 a day at the mortuary until the Tomb Sweeping Day holiday, which falls on April 4 this year.

Wuhan has seven other mortuaries. If they are all sticking to the same schedule, this adds up to more than 40,000 urns being distributed in the city over the next 10 days.

http://shanghaiist.com/2020/03/27/u...ll-raising-more-questions-about-chinas-tally/

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Has anyone got the latest comparisons between Italy 14 days ago, and the UK?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

Not got the updated version but we are quite far behind them now. 1200 to 1800 from an equal point a week or so ago. We are also a thousand or so behind on the infection rate Italy on the 15th had 3590 new cases compared to our 2400 today.

.A7F91CD0-E07A-4E98-9CB7-65396553F614.jpeg

D

Deleted member 22389

Does look like Italy and Spain are finally on the turn, which is great news. Italy and Spain where registering 8,000 new infections a day a week ago, now it's down to 5,000+

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not got the updated version but we are quite far behind them now. 1200 to 1800 from an equal point a week or so ago. We are also a thousand or so behind on the infection rate Italy on the 15th had 3590 new cases compared to our 2400 today.

.View attachment 121573
Thanks

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

matumaini

Feb 25, 2018
To put the number of stiffs into context, it would be useful to know as well (a) total number admitted to hospital and (b) total number discharged home. Is that info available at all?
"Stiffs" - not really the best use of phrasing at this sensitive time hey!!!!

Sent from my Power using Tapatalk

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

It all partly depends on where you start from. Yes - the previously quoted figures of 'two weeks behind' are encouraging, but actually, we're on the same trajectory if you take a different start point. As shown on FT graph. This graph also indicates that we started our lockdown around four days earlier than Italy, so would hope to reach the peak four days earlier, which would mean smaller numbers overall. Hopefully.

http___com.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-eu.s3.amazonaws.png

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
This graph also indicates that we started our lockdown around four days earlier than Italy, so would hope to reach the peak four days earlier, which would mean smaller numbers overall. Hopefully.

Italy implemented a lockdown in stages. Northern towns from 21 Feb. National from 9 March.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It all partly depends on where you start from. Yes - the previously quoted figures of 'two weeks behind' are encouraging, but actually, we're on the same trajectory if you take a different start point. As shown on FT graph. This graph also indicates that we started our lockdown around four days earlier than Italy, so would hope to reach the peak four days earlier, which would mean smaller numbers overall. Hopefully.

View attachment 121574

Thanks for posting this. It's the most comprehensive comparative graphic I've seen so far. Looking at it, it just confirms my real current fear for the US (my longer term fear is for those countries with poor health services and/or a dreadful strategy).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thanks for posting this. It's the most comprehensive comparative graphic I've seen so far. Looking at it, it just confirms my real current fear for the US (my longer term fear is for those countries with poor health services and/or a dreadful strategy).

Absolutely this. Have felt for a while that the US will have a really bad time of this, compared to most other countries.

Regarding some poorer countries, hopefully by the time it is taking hold in those places, they will be getting a lot of help and resources from countries already coming out the other side of the initial wave. Hopefully.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I’m hoping sub-tropical climates added to few international travellers will help these developing Countries out, we’ll see.

Russia is an interesting case, seems that the average Russian’s ‘constitution’ is far too strong for Covid-19. I’ll be surprised if high death rates are reported there.

On a side note, Iran’s figures are as comical-as-Ali. It appears that their government has capped reported death rates at 150ish per day. It would be no surprise to learn that the real figures are closer to Italy.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here