Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
er ... I did, but deleted it as I thought it was a prank text

Same. Just assumed it was a scam text. Especially as it came through on my work mobile, which nobody outside my company has the number of. Plus I didn't get it on my personal mobile. #TwoPhoneWanker

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Only two completely different messages.

You work in a factory. Wake up in the morning think 'I should stay home'

Boss rings up expecting you to come in and says the official government advice (on its website) says you can go in to work if you aren't able to work from home.

What do you do?

It's hugely ambiguous.

Out of interest, what line of work and industry are you in?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The problem in helping self employed

More now on financial help for the self-employed in the UK. As our assistant political editor outlined a little earlier, things could be about to change.

So far, the UK government has said it will pay the wages of employees unable to work due to the pandemic. But that does not include the self-employed.

Speaking in the Commons a few moments ago, Chancellor Rishi Sunak said there were "genuine practical and principle reasons" to roll out a similar scheme for freelancers.

"Of course there have been people whose incomes have been impacted by what is happening," he said.

"But there are also millions of people who are self-employed whose incomes may not have been impacted and indeed might be increasing.

"The ability for the government to distinguish between those people based on tax returns that are over a year and a half out of date, poses some very significant challenges in terms of fairness and affordability."

He added that the Treasury had been looking into measures in "intense detail" over the past week, but would not commit to a date when more help would be made available.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Software supply to core institutions.

Not allowed to WFH.

Any company that in this day and age ( and even before the virus ) doesn't allow WFH for roles that can is quite frankly not worth working for. Always one of my interview questions and I've turned down job offers as they didn't offer WFH.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Someone has just said that gardeners have been told they can’t work because they would touch petrol pumps .....they said it’s official.....is this true?
It may be that gardeners shouldn't work, but that reason sounds like Facebook fake news.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Dramatic measures announced in Sweden now: restaurants will now only have table service in order to decrease queues.

That'll do the job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here