Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Sorry, did not mean to alarm. All I know is we have been advised to prep for a fuller lock down that will be enforced.

My understanding is that essential trips for food, medicines etc will be allowed.
Sorry if my wording caused alarm. I have no doubt that people will be able to travel for all essentials but that the measures will stop people just jumping on a bus for a day out. Which I’m hoping people have already stopped doing.
As I say, those abiding by the existing advice should notice very little difference. I am not “in the know” and only going under advice from work.
Apologies, did not mean to be alarmist.

Just been on amazon looking at fitness equipment as obviously gyms are closed, luckily enough I already have lots of equipment but the extortion going on is absolutely disgusting quite frankly, obviously you expect people to try and cash in but to the degree that’s happening on Amazon it’s a joke.

Will online deliveries of 'non-essential' items like books and so on be stopped. I think what I'm asking is whether the suggested lock down applies to public transport, or everything moving? In a way, it shoud be the latter - because if you order a book from Amazon, someone has to pack it - and that will generally involve travelling to get to the warehouse, stopping for petrol, and other opportunities for social interaction.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The simple truth, is everyone is second guessing what the government will do. My guess is it won't be a total lockdown - yet - probably just more advice!

I hope I'm wrong...

Looking at other countries it will probably start as an adviced lockdown and when people still turn out to be idiots you enforce it with police, military, drones etc

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Will online deliveries of 'non-essential' items like books and so on be stopped. I think what I'm asking is whether the suggested lock down applies to public transport, or everything moving? In a way, it shoud be the latter - because if you order a book from Amazon, someone has to pack it - and that will generally involve travelling to get to the warehouse, stopping for petrol, and other opportunities for social interaction.

I really don’t know. What’s happened in other countries?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Sorry, did not mean to alarm. All I know is we have been advised to prep for a fuller lock down that will be enforced.

My understanding is that essential trips for food, medicines etc will be allowed.
Sorry if my wording caused alarm. I have no doubt that people will be able to travel for all essentials but that the measures will stop people just jumping on a bus for a day out. Which I’m hoping people have already stopped doing.
As I say, those abiding by the existing advice should notice very little difference. I am not “in the know” and only going under advice from work.
Apologies, did not mean to be alarmist.

Thanks for clarifying

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The one thing I would advise ordering if one still can at a reasonable price is a decent first aid kit. I got one last year from Amazon, really comprehensive and well stocked for I think £30.
Especially if you have kids at home for the duration. Bumps and scrapes are bound to occur and a decent first aid kit could well avoid a trip to A&E (not in all cases obviously, ALWAYS go to A&E if required) but something that could result in a trip to hospital might be easily treated at home with the correct kit and relieve the pressure in the NHS.

But again I stress ALWAYS get expert medical treatment if required.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Advised by whom?

Sorry, missed this. It’s from my work, we provide residential social care. It’s not gospel, just what we have been advised.
If I’m honest, I’m expecting some firming up of measures soon anyway but who knows? Government has been very reluctant so far, so nobody really knows anything for sure.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Think the gradual tightening will continue. Public transport restricted to key workers only, non-essential car parks closed to prevent crowding (seafront etc) and much more direct orders about gatherings (Germany banning 'groups of more than 2' for example)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
[MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] - do you reckon going out for exercise will still be allowed?

I honestly don’t know. I would imagine this will be assessed day to day. At this point I wouldn’t rule any measure out but my feeling is it will be allowed to continue as long as we don’t see the numbers we had this past weekend gathering in public spaces.

I also think people will settle into only going out for individual exercise and not gatherings.

It’s only been a few days in reality and I think people will quickly adjust and become more sensible.

The phrase “lock down” is so ambiguous it could mean anything.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I honestly don’t know. I would imagine this will be assessed day to day. At this point I wouldn’t rule any measure out but my feeling is it will be allowed to continue as long as we don’t see the numbers we had this past weekend gathering in public spaces.

I also think people will settle into only going out for individual exercise and not gatherings.

It’s only been a few days in reality and I think people will quickly adjust and become more sensible.

The phrase “lock down” is so ambiguous it could mean anything.

It seems to vary across Europe, but I think making a lot of people who regularly run / hike stay indoors for three months (or more) of spring to become considerably less healthy physically and mentally would be a mistake.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
reading between the lines, there wouldnt be a full lockdown until the Coronavirus bill is passed and put into effect.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It seems to vary across Europe, but I think making a lot of people who regularly run / hike stay indoors for three months (or more) of spring to become considerably less healthy physically and mentally would be a mistake.

I agree. Common sense dictates, choose your location and your timing and I think we’ll all still be able to head out for exercise in a sensible fashion.
I’m hoping this weekend’s vast numbers out and about was a last hurrah and now people will take it seriously.
Steady as she goes.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Within the next 4-5 days according to the radio this morning...............first reading today I think

Thanks. I’m guessing we’ll see some changes at that point.

And to all, Remember , what looks like chaos is just people adjusting and organising. It will settle.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Our small town on the Cumbria coast was heaving over the weekend. Today it is like a ghost town, even the promenade only had a few people on it. Normally it would be far fuller and busier, even on a Monday. I think much of the problem over the weekend was the rather confusing messages about 'outdoor exercise is okay', then suddenly it wasn't so good as some areas got too busy. I have a feeling that it might settle down a bit now, as people come to realise a bit more what is the right thing to do. After all, it's quite difficult to change the habits of a lifetime in such a relatively short space of time.

It seems to be the evening press conferences where new measures are announced, but in general they seem to be trailed during the day as 'we might. it's possible...' I think tonight will be an appeal to 'non-essential' retail shops to close - followed by an order to close tomorrow (like with the pubs). And more requests to stay at home, re-inforcing the 'don't go on holiday' message.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here