Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Until you get an opinion which supports your existing position?

I listened to the whole broadcast with Boris and his advisors - it all seemed to make reasonable sense to me and seems a very measured and balanced response. Maybe we are in a better position to contain the virus than other countries. Again, they might be wrong and only time is going to tell one way or the other but you can't be 100% certain that they are. Whatever they chose to do, someone would disagree with. There is no perfect position or solution here, they're doing the best they can based on the information they have. I have no doubt they have more information than we do.

For Johnson ala Cummings, this isnt to bad, losing those draining the pension pot and social care budgets whilst still keeping the economy turning over.

And if it all goes tits, he has a couple of fall guys to blame for their crap advice

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So the latest advice is don't go on cruises and wash your hands , lucky we are so healthy we're not shutting schools, locking down places to control it before it spreads more

I heard one medical expert saying that shutting schools could be counter-productive. The virus infection rate amongst the young is very low (although I think they can be carriers). He couldn't explain why that is.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I heard one medical expert saying that shutting schools could be counter-productive. The virus infection rate amongst the young is very low (although I think they can be carriers). He couldn't explain why that is.

I am pretty sure it was the same with SARS and the only reason they could think of was that the lungs hadn't been too impacted by smoking or pollution etc. as well as natural degradation over time. I only read a couple of bits about it at the time so by no means an expert and this could just have been a guess by the authors

However, there are a few other reasons as to why the schools closing would be good in terms of stopping the parents mingling and passing it on to each other as well as reducing the amount of the workforce that are travelling as they would stay and work from home. However, having just watched some of the bits on Sky they raise a good point that many kids would be pushed to spend time with the grandparents and that could increase the risk to them.

At the moment I think just something would be good at reducing the fear and panic that some are feeling and then getting angry that 'nothing is being done'

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
While he may be an "expert", might his membership of the Labour Party have something to do with his mention of "this lot" ie the Government.

Political point scoring is the most pathetic and sad thing during these times. Quite a bit of it on this thread too.

D

Deleted member 22389

Not sure about this, however we need to put trust in it. On the other hand people are being more cautious anyway and thinking about where they go and hopefully doing the sensible thing and self isolating if they have the symptoms now.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Updated:

updated.png

https://www.ft.com/content/a26fbf7e-48f8-11ea-aeb3-955839e06441

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Seems like an appropriate response for the moment. Measured. Taking all factors into account. I hope I’m not wrong but I think the U.K. is reacting the correct way thus far. Our low level of infection bears this out. For now.

I know some here were looking for a heavy lock down and I haven’t read all the reactions but I hope this has tempered their anxiety rather than raised it.
Let’s hope we’ve got it right.

Last edited:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Political point scoring is the most pathetic and sad thing during these times. Quite a bit of it on this thread too.

I trust that this is not aimed at me, because I agree with you. I suspect that a certain "expert" might need to be tolld what you are writing.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Seems like an appropriate response for the moment. Measured. Taking all factors into account. I hope I’m not wrong but I think the U.K. is reacting the correct way thus far. Our low level of infection bears this out. For now.

Yes, I take the same line as yourself. One thing does bother me, however; BJ is sensibly taking advice from medical experts, and has chosen this path. Fair enough, as this makes sense. But The Irish and scots are presumably having the same advice, yet have gone to more drastic measures. WHY?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
In 50-100 years time people will look back in history and say "what the **** was the UK doing"

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
New York joins California, Washington, etc in banning targe gatherings - to include Broadway, sporting events etc. Seems like UK is lagging behind here. Effective 5pm today.

NHL, MLB, MLS all suspended indefinitely today so far... seems crazy to keep the premier league going?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yes, I take the same line as yourself. One thing does bother me, however; BJ is sensibly taking advice from medical experts, and has chosen this path. Fair enough, as this makes sense. But The Irish and scots are presumably having the same advice, yet have gone to more drastic measures. WHY?

Whiskey?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

I agree, although our infection levels aren't exactly low. Estimated to be 5-10k currently.

I see a lot of people criticizing Boris Johnson, saying things like "He says many will die, but we aren't going to do anything to prevent that, ****ing disgrace" etc.

What those people are failing to realize is that sadly many will die regardless of what we do. The only question is how many, and I do think that our approach is more likely to result in fewer deaths than would be the case if we didn't approach this correctly.

Either way, sadly, this is going to be tragic for a lot of people. It isn't going to be the Tories fault, or Labours fault, or Trumps fault, or - insert your ideological opponent here -'s fault.

It's just nature, and we are vulnerable humans. Nature can be savage, but we can be strong-willed in the face of it. We have to be.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9275149 said:
While I'm a total European and was totally gutted, angry and dumbfounded by Brexit perhaps one small good thing that this viral outbreak will do will be bring people together again for a common goal (defeat virus!) after 4 years of division.
Bring people together! No chance. Just look at how the supermarkets shelves have been emptied of toilet paper, medicines etc by people just thinking of themselves!

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green

I know some here were looking for a heavy lock down and I haven’t read all the reactions but I hope this has tempered their anxiety rather than raised it.
Let’s hope we’ve got it right.

Not disagreeing but you say low level of infection according to the experts the real figure is between 5,000/10,000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here