Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Maheta Molango set to Replace Gordon Taylor at PFA

SAC

May 21, 2014
I've no recollection of him and had to look him up on Wiki.

Good luck to the fella, he will need it.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Selection panel are an eclectic bunch:

the new non-executive directors - TikTok head of marketing Trevor Johnson, Amazon Web Services managing director Darren Hardman, youth activist and five-time world karate champion Geoff Thompson and Ebru Koksal, chair of Women in Football and former general secretary of the Turkish Football Federation

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...heta-molango-emerges-surprise-choice-succeed/

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Because it would be an absurd appointment? :shrug:

Why Tom ?

And as an aside I think Gordon Taylor is a complete ****.

Refused to send out a strong message against homophobia in football by discussing a televised campaign using professional players because he thought that would leave them wholly open to ridicule ...... ok Gordon.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Why Tom ?

And as an aside I think Gordon Taylor is a complete ****.

Refused to send out a strong message against homophobia in football by discussing a televised campaign using professional players because he thought that would leave them wholly open to ridicule ...... ok Gordon.

Give the fella a break, a poor choice of worlds doesn’t make someone a racist which is what I think some are alluding to. Unexpected appointment maybe, I think most of us would have expected a higher profile ex player.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Sorry, what?! Maheta Molango is going to be head of the PFA! As someone who has certainly not followed his career since leaving us, I find this both absurd and hilarious :)

I'm sure it's very well deserved, but that is a quite ridiculous headline to open NSC to :lolol:

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011
This has to be one of the few roles for an ex-professional footballer where their actual footballing ability doesn't matter at all beyond that they were good enough to earn a living by playing football. Funny how a jerk reaction for many of us was a variation of "WTF" which for me was due to seeing an ex Albion player given the role, seemingly out of the blue (obviously Southgate wasn't consulted). And then you read about him for less time that it takes to watch a highlights reel and he seems ideal for the job.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A mate of mine, a Canadian, visited some years ago and I took him to a Brighton game (away at Watford). He was stunned by the away support. I also got a shirt made for him with Molango's name on the back. I just emailed him to pass on the news. If he sends me a pic of his shirt later I'll post it. Probably a unique shirt....

Could be a very interesting appointment.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Whatever our own comic recollections of him at Brighton a former player, club CEO and employment lawyer seems like a very good fit to me as someone to represent the players.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Give the fella a break, a poor choice of worlds doesn’t make someone a racist which is what I think some are alluding to. Unexpected appointment maybe, I think most of us would have expected a higher profile ex player.

Indeed. He may have a suspect and, frankly, deplorable attitude to 80s music, but he's a good lad, and no racist.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sorry, what?! Maheta Molango is going to be head of the PFA! As someone who has certainly not followed his career since leaving us, I find this both absurd and hilarious :)

I'm sure it's very well deserved, but that is a quite ridiculous headline to open NSC to :lolol:

So many fans think that footballers don’t have brains let alone academic abilities. He is a qualified lawyer and has been CEO of a club.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When he was injured at Withdean he'd pop into the PA box sometimes and I had a few chats with him. He came across as an extremely clever, articulate bloke with a real all round grasp of football and he can speak vast amounts of languages. Of course if how many goals you've scored for a big club is the main qualification for the job then he wouldn't being in the running.... but it isn't, it it? It's being able to represent your fellow professionals, and he would be an ideal candidate on that score.

Reminds me of the Italian manager who, like Molango, only had a bit part as a player, who was asked how he could manage top level professionals given his previous status.

His reply is my favourite quote in football.

'I didn't realise that in order to be a jockey you had to have been a horse first. '

Fabrizio Piggott?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Good luck to him. He's had quite the journey since his debut at Reading!

Great opening day - despite losing - remember telling reading fans after to cheer up as they won - looked like miserable zombies! Remember Jakes goal on the turn in front of us - fun memories :thumbsup:

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I remember finding him pretty useful in whichever version of Football Manager/Championship Manager I was playing at the time. I can only presume they based his hidden stats off his pre-season performances.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here