Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Madrid's Away Support

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Is shocking.

300 people for a match within the capital.
30 Supporters just 20km away

Athletic ripping United fans off | Andy Mitten - Yahoo!

But 20km distance to travel, and only 30 people could be bothered :eek:

mmm...

Sorry, Spain is different. They simply don't do the away thing like we do. Quite well known and I have no idea why. Only got to watch a game on the TV when the crowd goes silent when the away team score.

Possibly that the distances can be really far, worse than here.

Kick off times are confirmed late.

Games kick off late - so it always involves a stay over or a very long drive.

Public transport of any use came late to Spain. Even now it can be difficult to get to A to B if you haven't got a car.

A number of factors that lead to almost non existent away travel culture and few tickets available for away supporters.

Can't have a go at their passion for the game though, football only newspapers, TVs in restaurants.

Last edited:

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Errrr.....clueless comment as the OF play each other four times!
And Rangers took over 150,000 to Manchester for the UEFA Cup final - the biggest movement of football fans in the history of the game!!

Fine but where were they when they played other outer off the way scottish clubs , only once a year they can show support , it's a lot of bollocks like scottish clubs playing abroad they show up in thousands once a year but their home game are not sell out's anymore , you having a laff bluenose

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
get a grip of reality , make it looks millions of supporters , onece a year , but other scottish clubs away the attendance is minimal , and even your home games are not sell out now . Live on your one game a year if it makes you happy

D

Deleted member 18477

Spain don't have the same percentage of allocation given to away fans. There were only 500 Barcelona fans at madrid for el Classico last season I seem to remember.

Plus it's a big country.

Plus the league is boring apart from el Classico.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Fine but where were they when they played other outer off the way scottish clubs , only once a year they can show support , it's a lot of bollocks like scottish clubs playing abroad they show up in thousands once a year but their home game are not sell out's anymore , you having a laff bluenose

get a grip of reality , make it looks millions of supporters , onece a year , but other scottish clubs away the attendance is minimal , and even your home games are not sell out now . Live on your one game a year if it makes you happy

Average gate of 45,000 and part of the reason not selling out is because the away fans aren't filling their end!!
Not quite like your host nation (despite your slightly incoherent ramblings I assume you are British?!) where in a country of 10 or 11 million (twice that of Scotland!) Slavia Praha get around 5,000 as an average whilst Sparta who are top get around 8,000!!

Last edited:

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
everyone raves about the spanish league.

i can tell you most clubs have no history, no passion, and are attending by ppl wanting a nice social afternoon out.

it is on a par with englands league 2.

saying that, the players are amazing technically and at a young age are taught the right things.

there are two different layers in the pie.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

i can tell you most clubs have no history, no passion, and are attending by ppl wanting a nice social afternoon out.

saying that, the players are amazing technically and at a young age are taught the right things.

there are two different layers in the pie.

what a load of shit. Really, you don't have a clue.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Average gate of 45,000 and part of the reason not selling out is because the away fans aren't filling their end!!
Not quite like your host nation (despite your slightly incoherent ramblings I assume you are British?!) where in a country of 10 or 11 million (twice that of Scotland!) Slavia Praha get around 5,000 as an average whilst Sparta who are top get around 8,000!!

Never seen a game in Czech , does not really interest me , the quality is not as good as it was here . STH at Brighton and go to most home games and some away. Don't watch hardly any Spanish football so did not realise the away support was so crap , even with the distance involved you would of thought more away fans would make the effort.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think that the major reason is simply that there isn't the tradition of travelling to away games in Spain. It isn't the done thing like it is in the UK.

sant andreu

Dec 18, 2011
I think that the major reason is simply that there isn't the tradition of travelling to away games in Spain. It isn't the done thing like it is in the UK.

This is true, in part cos it's self perpetuating. There isn't the tradition of it - so there is no compulsory allocation for away fans - so it is not possible for more away fans to go - - -

There would hardly have been any tickets available to the R Madrid fans - I think that ground only holds about 15,000. Check out Sid Lowe on the Guardian website for a fuller story

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia

Bilge. Try the Mestalla or the Vicente Calderon for passion. Or Betis v Sevilla. Betis, who, for example, filled a 50,000 seat stadium for a game in the Segunda when they secured promotion back to the top flight. How many League Two clubs could do that in England, even if they had a ground capable, which none of them do? The support is there, it's just being negatively affected by the ridiculous duopoly of Real M and Barca, but the history of many of these clubs goes back over 100 years, just as here. It's not ALL about the big two, if you care to look beyond the TV deal (which the other clubs are beginning to come together to do something about).

The lack of away support is a cultural thing, as others have said, but even if it wasn't, getting to away games that can have kick-off times confirmed as late as five days before the game, which could be after 9pm, and could be countless hundreds of miles away, ain't easy for anybody.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here