Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

macs...

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
i have a feeling this is because of old mac software (os x 10.3.9). i thought there must be some mac users on here so was wondering is there anyway i can update this, or what other applications should i try instead of msn etc.

10.3.9 isn't that old - Jaguar i think.

write to Graham - Gman <macmadosx@yahoo.co.uk> and he'll sell you all sorts of nice software to make it better; about £20/£30 for 10.4/10.5.

Saying that, i've had two iBook G4's go down on me due to dry solder issues.. yours may not last until post arrives..! :lol:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/tips/iBookG4_vreg_repair/ibookG4_vreg_repair.html

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
The terminal is very powerful in Linux. Anything you can do using the GUI you can do via the terminal and more.

For instance you can install programs through the terminal in Ubuntu, no need to visit any websites to download setup files.

example:
sudo apt-get install {name}

There are loads of things you can do.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Windows Command Prompt ??? Is that not exactly what Mac/Ubuntu Terminal is? If not, then could you explain the differences to a non Mac/Umbungo user?

cmd.exe can't do half as much as BASH.

Bash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

saying that, Windows Powershell is pretty good.

The terminal is very powerful in Linux. Anything you can do using the GUI you can do via the terminal and more.

For instance you can install programs through the terminal in Ubuntu, no need to visit any websites to download setup files.

example:
sudo apt-get install {name}

There are loads of things you can do.

Bloody package managers, what's wrong with compiling from source? :p

tar -zxvf package.tar.gz
cd package
./configure
make install

simple.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
iBooks are VERY old now and I wouldn't say really cut it for more than a bit of casual surfing and typing. You can get newer versions of a lot of the software you may want but it's all going to be designed for more powerful machines.

Even the most recent iBook's were last updated almost five years ago.

Having been primarily a PC user it will take a bit of getting used to the superior operating system of OSX over Windows XP/Vista, and bear in mind that depending on how old your OSX is and which Windows you're used to using you'll probably find a lot of the originally intuitive and revolutionary features of the operating system have since been ripped off by MS so won't seem so exciting anyway.

It's still going to be a decent enough machine for light use (assuming it's not one of the original clamshell jobbies from 1999) but sadly as mentioned above they don't always age well and if it goes tits up you've basically had it as Apploe wont' want to know and the cost of repair wouldn't be worthwhile, if even possible.

With regards the Macbook standard vs Pro vs Air question I would say the standard Macbook is a very decent machine if you're going to be using it for the vast majority of every day tasks (office suite apps, web browsing, movies and music etc.) whereas the Pro has that extra beef for those who need to do serious video editing and use complex graphic design software. The Air on the other hand is only worth plumping for if portability REALLY is an issue. The Standard Macbook is hardly a heavy machine and fits very neatly in a shoulder bag but if you really wany the ultralight luxury of the Air bear in mind the sacrifices you make in performance, battery life and input (there is no CD/DVD drive).

Also I'm fairly sure the student discount is applicable across the range and not just on the entry level Macbook

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It's still going to be a decent enough machine for light use (assuming it's not one of the original clamshell jobbies from 1999) but sadly as mentioned above they don't always age well and if it goes tits up you've basically had it as Apploe wont' want to know and the cost of repair wouldn't be worthwhile, if even possible.

I managed to get 10.4 installed and working on my orange clamshell iBook!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
iBooks are VERY old now and I wouldn't say really cut it for more than a bit of casual surfing and typing. You can get newer versions of a lot of the software you may want but it's all going to be designed for more powerful machines.

Even the most recent iBook's were last updated almost five years ago.

They were sold in to early 2006, and a 5 year old PC laptop is still perfectly usable with modern software - its just that the Motorola PowerPC the G4 iBook used was a f***ing ATROCIOUS chip, something the Apple fanbois of the time refused to admit, to the point of claiming it was faster than anything Intel had....

Assuming its a >1Ghz iBook, shove as much RAM in to as it will take, get a faster hard drive and put 10.4 on it - it should be usable to a point and will run most software.

And use Adium not MSN, even when the proper client works its a resource hog.

cw00

Mar 29, 2009
Manchester

And use Adium not MSN, even when the proper client works its a resource hog.

thanks for the helpful comments:clap:

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
I've finally gone over to all apple/mac kit after years of other stuff. So much happier (and probably smugger) now. Oh and women find me more attractive.

Me too. I've been using Windows (and MSDOS) ever since Gates was a boy; I bought a Mac last year, and haven't looked back. I'm still a shite lover though; it's done nothing there.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
On the cost front, as long as you research thoroughly, know what you want to do on an iBook and bid sensibly, you can easily land a high spec G4 iBook for £120-200.

I'm typing this on a Macbook I got off eBay for £200 - around 3 years old and apart from a couple of minor sleep issues it does everything I need it to. Luckily I work in publishing so I don't have to touch PCs with a bargepole :bigwave:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
They were sold in to early 2006, and a 5 year old PC laptop is still perfectly usable with modern software - its just that the Motorola PowerPC the G4 iBook used was a f***ing ATROCIOUS chip, something the Apple fanbois of the time refused to admit, to the point of claiming it was faster than anything Intel had....

They were discontinued in 2006 but had no major hardware upgrades after 2004/early 2005.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still choose a later model iBook over a similar aged and spec'd Windows notebook, but I'm just saying you wouldn't want to get all excited that this pretty looking gizmo is going to piss all over your more modern PC because frankly it won't.

Now the old discontinued G4 Powerbooks DO hold their own by todays standards, which is why you'll still find them changing hands for more than the price of many brand new machines, even those that go back as far as 2003!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here