Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

macs...

cw00

Mar 29, 2009
Manchester
been given an old ibook g4 and was just using it to play around really never used macs and had a grudge against them. after using it for a couple of days i can reassure they are awful!

cannot install the applications i want on it:censored:(firefox msn etc), i have a feeling this is because of old mac software (os x 10.3.9). i thought there must be some mac users on here so was wondering is there anyway i can update this, or what other applications should i try instead of msn etc.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Older versions of Firefox will be compatible with older versions on OSX assuming its an older version (whats the current one?) that is down to Mozilla not apple, MSN is made by microsoft who incase you hadnt heard make windows, they are hardly going to make free software for their only rival are they? Miranda is a common alternative.

I f***ing hate apple, but the fact you cant use the same software isnt their fault

cw00

Mar 29, 2009
Manchester
Older versions of Firefox will be compatible with older versions on OSX assuming its an older version (whats the current one?) that is down to Mozilla not apple, MSn is amde by microsoft who incase you hadnt heard make windows, they are hardly going to make free software for their only rival are they? Miranda is a common alternative.

msnmessengerformacosx.jpg

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
You are far more attached to being right about your pre-existing views about macs than actually using them. Give it up

cw00

Mar 29, 2009
Manchester
You are far more attached to being right about your pre-existing views about macs than actually using them. Give it up

i am giving it a go, after all they are still quite populer, but the smallest things are made so hard!

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I've finally gone over to all apple/mac kit after years of other stuff. So much happier (and probably smugger) now. Oh and women find me more attractive.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
i am giving it a go, after all they are still quite populer, but the smallest things are made so hard!

As opposed to installing a million and one drivers for everything on Windows? There's a thread from a few months ago here when Football Manager came out, some people with PCs literally couldn't get it to work for days. I on the other hand put the disk (the same one) in my Mac, installed it and started playing.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Dirty old man
Dirty old man
Dirty old man
Dirty old man

BTW, why don;t you use Safari? I though that was the Ds Bs as was ALL software written by Apple

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I cant afford a Mac, I don't like Windows so I use Ubuntu @ home. Like I say, Mac is too expensive. Lower the cost by 300-400 quid and I might be interested. I saw one guy parting with over 1500 for a Mac Book and some software. First thing that came to my mind was, ripped off. Each to their own.

Ubuntu has the terminal, just like Mac so what you can do on a Mac terminal you can do on Ubuntu. That's something Windows does not have and will never have.

Last edited:

BeardyChops

Jan 24, 2009
I cant afford a Mac, I don't like Windows so I use Ubuntu @ home. Like I say, Mac is too expensive. Lower the cost by 300-400 quid and I might be interested. I saw one guy parting with over 1500 for a Mac Book and some software. First thing that came to my mind was, ripped off. Each to their own.

Ubuntu has the terminal, just like Mac so what you can do on a Mac terminal you can do on Ubuntu. That's something Windows does not have and will never have.

If you are stuck on Windows and a techie, then you probably want Cygwin Information and Installation

but if you're a techie you probably already know about it :)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Windows Command Prompt ??? Is that not exactly what Mac/Ubuntu Terminal is? If not, then could you explain the differences to a non Mac/Umbungo user?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here