Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mac Vs Windows

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I would buy a mac tommorow if they where cheaper. I feel like a mug paying Apple. that amount of money, when I could build a PC with more specs for less money.

Get me a top of the range mac for under £600 and you got a customer.

At the moment I use both XP for work & Ubuntu as a test server.

Whatever people say about Linux Ubuntu being hard has got it all wrong. The other week I installed Ubuntu on a Centrino Duo, it detected everthing apart from the wireless card.

I then installed Automatix and got all the codecs, fonts, realplayer working and it absolutely flies now. It runs better than WinXP. and to be quite honest with you EyeCandy wise, I dont see Vista or Leopard doing anything up to the standard of XGL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjL0CkFHBws&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih1TYQ_Ut-A

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Mac Mac Mac Mac.

Had one for the last 7 months, I absolutely LOVE it.

Took a bit of time to unlearn bad habits picked up from using Windows, but once you do it is Awesome!

Never go back to Bill Gates now.

No viruses ever invented for the Mac!

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
There are viruses around for mac and Linux. It's still not as many as Windows but when the OS become even more popular you will see them appear. Give it time.

Linux and Mac are safer becuase you have to give the system a root password before changing any critical files, however viruses exist that can bypass this.

Ask MYOB see what his opinion is on it before a world war 3 starts lol.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
adrian29uk said:
Ask MYOB see what his opinion is on it before a world war 3 starts lol.

I'll just add my MAC! MAC! MAC! support before MYOB arrives.

robbied69

Sep 20, 2005
North London
I've been thinking about getting a Mac. I would like to get my head round them. Been bought up in a Windows environment.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
You dont have to get head around anything.

The only stumbling block will be when you want to play games. Games are few and far between on the Mac.

People will say, why dont you dual boot with Windows on Mac, but whats the point.

You use Mac to getaway from Windows in the first place.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
adrian29uk said:
I would buy a mac tommorow if they where cheaper. I feel like a mug paying Apple. that amount of money, when I could build a PC with more specs for less money.

you say that, but you should have a look inside one of those Mc boxes. you're buying a mercedes, not a ford. they just shout quality. In 5 years supporting a team of desginers, ive not had a single hardware fault. Im no fanboi (never owned a Mac), but you have to compare them with say an Alienware on cost.

of course, if you roll your own, thats different. not everyone can or is inclined to.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I think it'll be a Mac then - after February of course!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bevendean Hillbilly said:

No viruses ever invented for the Mac!

:lolol: :lolol:

Yeah, right.

I bought a Mac when I was flush with cash and it was a bad decision, it constantly broke down and cost a fortune in support. Since then, I've had four PCs all of which lasted ages (my Dell laptop is seven years old and survived a bookshelf falling on it).

And that's before you mention the prices. I've just bought a new Dell desktop for 600 quid incl VAT and delivery: Intel Core Duo processor, 2 gig of RAM, 19 inch monitor; an equivalent Mac would cost twice as much.

If you're in design, then a Mac is probably a better bet, but for anything else, a PC will do everything you could want and will be much, much cheaper.

Sep 12, 2006
i have a mac. its good, i'm a photographer/designer so its suits me especially with applications like aperture. but if you don't use a computer for creativity get a pc. far cheaper....

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
adrian29uk said:
lol. I honestly would Mac Mac Mac if the price was right. But its still not right and I dont think it will ever be.

That's just the initial up front cost though, and this is a bit of an urban myth now.

Go to the Dell website and spec your own machine that has the equivalent specs to a Mac and then come back to me. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

For me it's more of how much quality time do I want to spend in trying to sort out my PC removing viruses, re-installing Windows becuase it screws up, etc.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Toronto Seagull said:

Go to the Dell website and spec your own machine that has the equivalent specs to a Mac and then come back to me. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

As I said above, I did this just last week and the Dell was about half the price of the Mac.

And in 16 years of using PCs, I've only had to reinstall Windows once (and I think that was a problem with my dual-boot Linux/Windows set-up rather than a pure Windows problem.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Mark Ormerod's Gloves said:
i have a mac. its good, i'm a photographer/designer so its suits me especially with applications like aperture. but if you don't use a computer for creativity get a pc. far cheaper....

But the final image is only as good as the printer. I have always wanted to know why is a Mac better than Windows for design?

If we both created the same flyer using indesign, exported to .pdf and then gave this to the printers would they come out the same?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
adrian29uk said:
I have always wanted to know why is a Mac better than Windows for design?

because thats what nearly 100% of designers train on, and all the major design apps are made for the Mac then ported to Windows.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here