Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mac Vs Windows

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Alright, I know I SHOULD know why I should buy one over the other, but can anyone convince me why I should buy Windows Vista in 6 months or Mac in 6 months?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
"Am I bovvered, Aaron?"

bovverd-catherine-tate.jpg

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Vista is huge, it will take up a lot of space.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Music & photos, basic internet stuff...plus a few word-esque documents

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
I switched to a PowerBook just over two years ago from a Dull laptop running Windows XP. Since then I've not had to worry about Blue Screen Of Deaths, Viruses, Trojans, etc.

With the latest Macs if you need to, you can get Windows running on a separate partition using Boot Camp, Parellels or VmWare virtualisation technology.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you are going to use a computer for music, photos, desk top publishing, dont want to be invaded by viruses, want great after sales service (the apple help line is very very helpful) which is all under one roof (i.e. as the hardware and software are both Apple they dont fob you off with the 'sorry, that's a software issue, we only make the machines' line. And then when you ring Microsoft they tell you it must be the hardware) all houses in dead sexy computer then go Apple.

I bought one a year ago and will never go back to Microsoft.

And as Toronto says, if you really do need a bit of windows it can be done.

They are the dogs.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Many thanks all - good stuff

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
These threads pop up every so often. I hope to see you blathering on about how great Macs are next time.....

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Is cost an issue as I would imagine that a mac with an equivalent spec would be more expensive.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Rangdo said:
Is cost an issue as I would imagine that a mac with an equivalent spec would be more expensive.

I'm not sure if they are. My Macbook came bundled with loads of software pre-installed (GOOD software - unlike the fillers you often get with Windows). The DVD writer is built in.. and the webcam.. and the bluetooth... and the wireless internet connectivity. All in all a really neat package, and very user friendly e.g. took the ethernet cable out of the Xbox 360, stuck it in the Mac and, hey presto, online... not a single thing to set up. It just worked it out for itself.

Anyway, what I'm saying is, by the time you add all the little bits and pieces to a PC I don't think there's too much in it price-wise.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its interesting that the option given is Windows or Mac... when it should be PC/Mac or Windows/MacOS. enough nerding.

what i was going to say was, since you can run XP (and probably Vista too) on the Mac hardware, you're better off with a Mac so you have the choice.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
beorhthelm said:
its interesting that the option given is Windows or Mac... when it should be PC/Mac or Windows/MacOS.

No no no.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I now use a Macbook for all my home stuff - it's my first Mac machine and I love the little fella.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here