Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mac advice needed.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
tonebha said:
sorry MYOB but you seem to have missed my point.

which is? The only one I didn't counter was about them being slagged, which might happen if he goes on a design course full of utter brand obsessed wankers. Wankers with far too much money, as the entry-level Apple laptop that doesn't fall directly into "slaggable heap of crap" (e.g a Powerbook) is €1599.

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
WATFORD O said:
Is it compatible with word etc?

I could be wrong and i'm sure MYOb will jump me, but microsoft now make office for the macs first now, where before macs used to get the cast offs about 4 years later. Mr Gates after all is a major share holder in Apple.

tonebha

Jul 11, 2003
>>>utter brand obsessed wankers. Wankers with far too much money<<<

oh for fucks sake, you do have a problem don’t you? i give up. bye.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Black Country Seagull said:
I could be wrong and i'm sure MYOb will jump me, but microsoft now make office for the macs first now, where before macs used to get the cast offs about 4 years later.

No, its 1 year late rather than 4 now. Mac's have Office 11 now, as does Windows. However, Windows got it in 2003, MacOS in 2004.

Mr Gates after all is a major share holder in Apple.

Never was, never will be. Microsoft (the company) was but isn't anymore.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
MYOB said:
considering the file formats are identical between Windows and OSX versions of applications these days [blah] sharing files isn't an issue.

You'd think wouldnt you, but its not the case. Time and time again we've had problems with transfers files when we tried we tried to migrate our designers off macs, but in the end gave in. Especially fonts, they just dont render correctly on the PC apps. If you do desgin work, Mac is essential simply because everyone else in desgin uses them - do a creative in PC Quark, send it to the printers who have Macs and it will be f***ed.

Originally posted by MYOB
In addition, 95% of Mac users don't understand the inner workings of their machine - you ever seen the inane problems people go back to the Apple Store with? You're more likely to find someone able to help with a PC problem than a Mac problem due to force of numbers.

HAHAHAHAHA. has it ever occured to you that Mac user dont *need* to understand the workings of their machines? In fact ANY system that requires you to have intmate knowledge of under the bonnet stuff has failed for 95% of its users. It should just f***ing work.

Originally posted by MYOB
One thing - the number of mouse buttons required to use a computer is directly proportional to the average knowledge of how the machine works among its userbase. :lolol:

Actually have to agree with the point about the dumb one mouse button thing, but have to also highlight that 2, 3 and rolly buttons have been supported for years (at least as long as USB)

Id also like to pull you up (again) for your claims of the speed difference between mac and pc... its just a stupid Mhz number your basing that on, and the IBM chip does more per MHz than the Intel

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
beorhthelm said:
You'd think wouldnt you, but its not the case. Time and time again we've had problems with transfers files when we tried we tried to migrate our designers off macs, but in the end gave in. Especially fonts, they just dont render correctly on the PC apps. If you do desgin work, Mac is essential simply because everyone else in desgin uses them - do a creative in PC Quark, send it to the printers who have Macs and it will be f***ed.

Never had the displeasure of using Quark, been InDesign all the way.

HAHAHAHAHA. has it ever occured to you that Mac user dont *need* to understand the workings of their machines? In fact ANY system that requires you to have intmate knowledge of under the bonnet stuff has failed for 95% of its users. It should just f***ing work.

If it did just f***ing work they wouldn't need to. Go into a bookshop with a large computer section, look at the number of Mac self help books. It'll be the same or more than Windows. For about an 11th of the userbase. Hrm.

Actually have to agree with the point about the dumb one mouse button thing, but have to also highlight that 2, 3 and rolly buttons have been supported for years (at least as long as USB)

Supported but not sold by Apple till this year.
I have a three button ADB mouse BTW, so its not just USB, plus my 1997 Motorola StarMax Macintosh Clone has PS/2 and takes a two button PS/2 fine.

Id also like to pull you up (again) for your claims of the speed difference between mac and pc... its just a stupid Mhz number your basing that on, and the IBM chip does more per MHz than the Intel

Somewhat true, although remember that Apple lied for years, and years, and are having to move to x86 themselves.

However, the laptops don't use IBM chips, they use Freescale Semiconductor chips, which are slower, cycle for cycle, than any decent x86 chip. Compare a 1.4Ghz G4 to a 1.4Ghz Pentium III and the PIII will come out well on top, despite having a lower internal bus speeed, being unable to use DDR memory, etc.

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
quote:
Supported but not sold by Apple till this year.
I have a three button ADB mouse BTW, so its not just USB, plus my 1997 Motorola StarMax Macintosh Clone has PS/2 and takes a two button PS/2 fine.

So i have been using a two button mouse with scroller on my mac for the past 2 years. hmmmmmm hows that happened

just becuase the apple store don't have there own bloody ipod two button mouse means you could not just plug a usb mouse into your keyboard or machine and scroll away?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Black Country Seagull said:
quote:

just becuase the apple store don't have there own bloody ipod two button mouse means you could not just plug a usb mouse into your keyboard or machine and scroll away?

I never said you couldn't, my point was that Apple didn't sell one, or indeed even promote that they worked, until this year even though they were working in at least 1997. Reason: Steve Jobs thinks the idea of a second button confuses people. Wonderful indictement of his userbase.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
MYOB said:
I never said you couldn't, my point was that Apple didn't sell one, or indeed even promote that they worked, until this year even though they were working in at least 1997. Reason: Steve Jobs thinks the idea of a second button confuses people. Wonderful indictement of his userbase.

and... it does. ask 100 people to "right-click" and 10 of them will ask you what you mean, 50 of them will click with the left first (its the right as in "correct" button you see) and a few will ask you to do it for them. And this is people in their 20-30 who've known computer there whole adult lifes. guess what? the average computer user doesn't care. The actual answer was for Apple to have used 2 buttons and put icons on them like the macs square sqiggle thing or the window key.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
You will find that a G4 just dont cut it on OSX, this is why a lot of Mac users are now installing Linux distros becuase of the raw speed and because they cant spend over £1000 on a new machine.

Im running Linux Ubuntu and have been for the last fortnight, Im Windows free and dont miss it one bit. NO viruses or spyware either which is a bonus.

People may say that as Linux becomes more popular more viruses will appear but I just cant see this coming true.

Once more vendors get out of Microsofts arse they will find that supporting Open source projects will eventually pay off.

MYOB is correct OSX is a complete and utter resource hog. How much does one of those desktop applets drain?

Last edited:

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
I switched to a 17" PowerBook over a year ago from a Dell Inspiron and haven't regretted it.

Mac - It just works. No viruses, No Blue Screens of Death, No having to reboot every five minutes because of a security update.

Windows - Viruses, Blue Screen of Death, the list is endless.

It will take a little while to adjust to OS X after using Windows, but once you're up and running with it, you won't want to go back. Macs will plug into any network and will communicate with Windows without any problems. I've had no problems with doing this.

Check out NeoOffice . It's OpenOffice but with a Mac Gui front end and extremely User Friendly and best of all it's free.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Ok but be honest how many applications can you run in OSX Tiger before your powerbook starts chocking to death and what about that beachball in Safari how many times have you seen it whilst trying to load a webpage

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
adrian29uk said:
Ok but be honest how many applications can you run in OSX Tiger before your powerbook starts chocking to death and what about that beachball in Safari how many times have you seen it whilst trying to load a webpage

I don't run OS X Tiger. I'm still using Panther 10.3.9. I shan't upgrade to Tiger until I get a new PowerBook which wont be for another year or two.

I don't use Safari either, I use Opera as my main browser. The only time I use Safari is when I need to access Nat West Online Banking although Nat West are working with Opera to be able to use their browser.

I've not had any problems with Panther having plenty of applications open at any one time. e.g I can have iTunes, Opera Browser, NeoOffice and Final Cut Express (video editing app) open without any problems.

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
NeoOffice is also -glacially slow-. It gets better with the latest patch from the Trinity page, but its still like waiting for paint to dry to start.

4 apps is very, very few; particularly on an OS that just dumps an app to the dock rather than closing it on hitting the close button on a window. I've currently got Firefox, Vision (IRC), Beam (email), GP2 (office), BeShare (chat client, despite its name), and a large number of Tracker (file manager) windows open. Using 222MB RAM. With no speed issues

Try doing that on any version of NeXTSTep, err, MacOS X. Not going to be possible.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
tell you what MYOB, my company is the biggest DR company in the world.

We have thousands of MACS and PC's.

Now as you think MACS are such crap, do you think a company that has just been bought for 14Billion USD would invest in these machines?

In case it had missed your vision, every national newspaper works on MACS....of course if they had listened to you, they would all be wrong wouldn't they?

BTW I have a IPOD...6gb jobbie...superb sound, easy to use , easy to get tracks on to it, lovelly .....but not according to you?

I think it fair to say that the IT world does not revolve round you mate.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
dave the gaffer said:

Now as you think MACS are such crap, do you think a company that has just been bought for 14Billion USD would invest in these machines?.

MAC is something entirely different, its a component of a network card. I doubt you mean that, but if you do, every recent computer has at least one MAC, even a Macintosh.

Anyway, companies work in unusual ways. Theres also such things as kickbacks, managers personal preferences, an actual need for them (there is some software which is Mac-only), or simply style, which has to be the worst reason for buying hardware, particularly as anything designed under Jonathan Ive dates incredibly badly - the original iMac and iBook look like VTech toys now when they were cutting edge in the 1990's/early 2000's.

My first employer bought Dell and nothing else, even when others were more competitive price wise, because the managment were taken out for christmas dinner and drinks by a Dell sales rep every year. Deal ongoing from when Dell entered Ireland till at least 2003 - can't say if it still is now, I don't work there anymore.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I personally think that Windows has made people stupid and lazy when it comes to computing. Computing was never made to be easy.

When you start using Linux or Beos at least you are learning something again. You are entering a community and you are also learning how an operating system works.

The amount of knowledge I have gained through using Linux makes Windows admin childs play and I mean childs play.

At the end of the day Windows is a shit OS. Microsoft has been distributing shit for the last 25 years and I am glad we have secure alternatives like Linux and Beos.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here