Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

M4 Speed cameras, a warning.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
We were on holiday in Germany in May and there is no speed limit on the autobahns

Duncan H said:
Without trying to be flamed, it does seem to me that if these cameras are true, they are better than the normal ones.

I say this because the normal ones just catch one instant of time. So you could drive along at 70 for 100 miles, accelerate for just one minute, and get fined. These new cameras require you to keep an average speed above the speed limit. This means that drivers who are mostly law-abiding, but occasionally go over the speed limit won't have any problem from them.

The issue is what speed is set as illegal. But if all motorway cameras were like this I'd prefer it; I'm fed up with drivers going at 95 on the "fast" lane all the time, and driving only a foot or so behind me if I'm there, overtaking someone, but not doing 95.
I agree drivers doing 95mph two foot from your bumper is stupid and dangerous. However, drivers do that at 70 too. If done properly, there is absolutely nothing wrong with driving at 95mph if the conditions are good.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Yorkie said:
We were on holiday in Germany in May and there is no speed limit on the autobahns

I think the speed limits over here are a bit of a joke when driving conditions are good and the road is clear. They were set years ago when cars couldn't handle the speeds they can now.

As for Germany, a driver over there told me that although there's no limit, over a certain speed (100mph?) you become automatically responsible for ANY accident. It's no excuse saying 'he just pulled out in front of me'.

To my mind, more dangerous than the person doing 90 in a big, safe car is the idiot doing 50 in an old banger. They're the ones that cause chaos.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The expression used by the campaigners as present is Speed Kills

It doesn't or else every Formula 1 driver would die.

Inappropriate use of speed kills.

I agree that doing 95 on the motorway when the conditions are clear is not dangerous and travelling up and down the country I do drive at that speed.

Last Friday evening the conditions were quite busy at 6pm so I kept to a steady 70 but as the evening wore on and the roads became quiter I increased my speed.

I always try to leave a good gap between myself and the vehicle in front of me and get back in after overtaking as soon as I can.

Yorkie said:
The expression used by the campaigners as present is Speed Kills

It doesn't or else every Formula 1 driver would die.

Inappropriate use of speed kills.

I agree that doing 95 on the motorway when the conditions are clear is not dangerous and travelling up and down the country I do drive at that speed.

Last Friday evening the conditions were quite busy at 6pm so I kept to a steady 70 but as the evening wore on and the roads became quiter I increased my speed.

I always try to leave a good gap between myself and the vehicle in front of me and get back in after overtaking as soon as I can.
That's how it should be. The problems will arise when large stretches of road have these cameras. Then watch as the accident rate skyrockets as people are forced to travel at 70 and they get impatient and sit two foot behind each other.

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
The way I see the argument is that there is nothing wrong with speed cameras. They are there to enforce the limit that is in the law. Forcing people to travel at 70mph is a good thing if that is the legal limit.

If prosecuting speeding drivers also makes cash, so what. So long as this is then spent improving public services I don't really care. And I don't buy in to this claptrap about persecuting innocent drivers - if you are speeding you are breaking the law. If I was caught speending I would be peeved, but would have to hold my hands up and say "its a fair cop guv".

The argument about the level of the speed limit is entirely different. I agree with many on here that in fine weather conditions faster speeds than the current limit are entirely safe. Perhaps energy would be better spent lobbying for a higher limit, which could then also be enforced by cameras, than by criticising the use of cameras to enforce the law.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
What do you mean if you got caught speeding Highfields?

You were doing 90 on the way back from Hartlepool :lolol: :lolol:

Herman Munster

Sep 14, 2003
Ashington
:eek:

If you do get an NIP you'll be asked to state the name and address of the person driving. There is some case law that states that this self incrimination is contrary to The EU Convention on Human Rights. Secondly there is a time limit during which the NIP has to have been sent (not received) so always keep their envelope including post mark. Dont try this without a decent brief......... which incidentally happens to be my line of work!!

:angel:

Locky

Oct 2, 2003
Brighton
A sensible solution IMHO would be to remove speed limits from motorways. However anyone found doing over 100 MPH should get a 3 month ban.........as said earlier in this thread, cars these days are far safer than those of 20 years ago, and speeds of 85/90mph are quite safe in the right conditions.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I have no issue with speed cameras in accident blackspots and other locations such as close to schools.

I do have an issue where they are placed in locations where they are solely to trap people - places such as where the speed limit drops suddenly.

Speed doesn't kill - bad driving kills. The Chief Inspector (or whatever the title is) of Durham has it spot on - reduce accidents through driver education - they do not have a single fixed speed camera in the whole county.

And to the blokes that set fire to the camera up the road from me where the limit goes from 60mph to 30mph - good work fellas!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I am for the idea of having a driving test every 10 years.

There are far too many people driving around who never use their mirrors.

Hilton

Jul 5, 2003
Norman, Oklahoma
I've got nothing against the cameras as I think people should be fined for braking the law, however, it is a very stupid law and the speed limit on motorways and main roads is stupidly slow.

They should be spending more time catching people speeding along roads through towns where more damage can be caused from people speeding. It should be 30 along my road but as it's one of the main roads through Shoreham people are quite happy to do 50 along it.

Hilton

Jul 5, 2003
Norman, Oklahoma
Yorkie said:
I am for the idea of having a driving test every 10 years.

There are far too many people driving around who never use their mirrors.

And NEVER indicate, and cut back in about a foot in front of you. GRRRRRRRRR:angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here