Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

M4 Speed cameras, a warning.

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
M4 Speed cameras, a warning.
I have lifted this from elsewhere, as i know that a lot of you are motorists, and it may affect you. This is just the start of this, and it's bound to spread:-

Dear All - thought you should be aware of the following:
You know those new electronic signs on the M4? Well they were switched on by some transport minister on Tuesday. Now the bad news, they are rigged with the SPECS speed cameras.

SPECS is a camera based system. As you go past a camera software detects and reads your number plate. When you go past the next camera, it detects and reads your number plate again. It knows how far apart the cameras are so it can work out your average speed between the two cameras.

The system is fully automatic and will automatically issue a ticket without any form of human intervention. It does this for every single vehicle that passes a camera! You will not know you've been nicked as the cameras don't flash. There's no film in them either, they're digital. Images of you in your car, together with the date and time are stored on disc (I assume they only keep them if you've been nicked).

It works 24/7, 365 days a year, and theoretically, there's absolutely no limit on the number of tickets that it can issue.

The whole section of the M4 between Theale (J12) and Membury Services (between 14 and 15) is wired, both ways. It is believed that the system is set to trigger a ticket at 78 mph.

The bad news gets even worse. For those who've got radar detectors, they won't work. SPECS is entirely passive, there's no radar or laser beam to pick up.

This is from a VERY highly placed source at Thames Valley Police traffic control
Have a nice day!!

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
:jester: :jester: :jester:

and 78 is higher than 70

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I might naive here but I thought Government guidelines said that speed cameras shouldn't be 'hidden' in any way but painted bright yellow and clearly marked as such.

There is a big case going on in Yorkshire at present with an ambulance driver delivering a donor liver from Manchester to Papworth Hospital. He was driving an ambulance car and was clocked at 104. He has been prosecuted for speeding and yet his mandate was to deliver the organ as quickly as possible as the recipient was all prepared to go to theatre.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Its to prevent everyone leaving Reading too quickly!

Theale area cameras are always like that. Ditto most of the outskirts of Reading and Newbury. You get screwed at any speed. All part of the traffic-calming measures that are in most of London. Basically everything that goes to London first goes to Thames Valley 2nd, and then the rest of the country after that.

Watch out for anything around the M4. They'll pick you up for anything over 15% of the speed limit.

Bono

Jul 18, 2003
Buckinghamshire
If you get a ticket (Notice of Intended Proscecution: NIP).....
Complete it.....BUT DON'T SIGN IT.....
Send it back.....

It's the Dwight Yorke loophole.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Another money making scheme to clobber the " cash cow " motorists who Labour absolutely love to hate. The speed limit of 70 mph was set 30 years ago when that was the full capacity of most cars. Cars now can drive safely at 90mph and with much better breaking systems would be equivalent to driving at 70 mph 30 years ago.

No logic in road safety or preventing accidents just a money making scheme.

It would be possible to be issued with 4 tickets driving at 80mph over a 2 mile stretch and lose your licence !.

:lolol:

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
scrap the speed limits on motorways!

In Germnay the Autobhans have none and they have one of the best saftey records in Europe.

dont know why they bother on the M25 , you can rarely do above 50mph!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Actually when the motorways were first built at the end of the 60's there wasn't a speed limit.

The 70mph speed limit was brought in after the fuel crisis in 1973
to conserve petrol supplies.

Mr Popkins said:
scrap the speed limits on motorways!

In Germnay the Autobhans have none and they have one of the best saftey records in Europe.

dont know why they bother on the M25 , you can rarely do above 50mph!
I think the German Autobahns now do have speed limits, although they're higher than ours - 85 or 90mph I think. But you're right, we should either abolish speed limits on motorways (in fine weather) or set them at 90-95mph. 70mph is so outdated.

It was introduced after a trial period in the late 60s but whilst they were trialling it they also brought in another safety measure (can't remember what it was)....they claimed that keeping people at 70mph reduced accidents, but in reality the other safety measure probably had more of an impact. We got it anyway :(

joe

Oct 15, 2003
if the source is 'someone high up in the Thames Valley traffic police', it must be a load of tosh. There's so many rumours that it's a waste of time listening to them until someone actually gets prosecuted using this technology.

joe said:
if the source is 'someone high up in the Thames Valley traffic police', it must be a load of tosh. There's so many rumours that it's a waste of time listening to them until someone actually gets prosecuted using this technology.
I believe it. Those SPECS camera have been being trialled now for several years at various locations in the UK. It was only a matter of time before they were used properly. Doesn't make it right though.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Without trying to be flamed, it does seem to me that if these cameras are true, they are better than the normal ones.

I say this because the normal ones just catch one instant of time. So you could drive along at 70 for 100 miles, accelerate for just one minute, and get fined. These new cameras require you to keep an average speed above the speed limit. This means that drivers who are mostly law-abiding, but occasionally go over the speed limit won't have any problem from them.

The issue is what speed is set as illegal. But if all motorway cameras were like this I'd prefer it; I'm fed up with drivers going at 95 on the "fast" lane all the time, and driving only a foot or so behind me if I'm there, overtaking someone, but not doing 95.

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
From www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk

Motorway and A Road drivers can expect to see more SPECS cameras. High surveylance video that time you from point to point.

These are designed to prevent motorists from braking at the GATSO camera and speeding up later as they calculate your average speed between points, upto a mile and if you're over the limit, you're booked.

These are normally mounted on bridges or easily identifiable ganties and can be spotted by the infra red detectors either side of the camera.

These cameras are currently undetectable by standard radar detectors but will be by GPS, satellite tracking system, such as the Origin Blue i, Geodesy Plus or the new Road Angel and Snooper S6 R Neo.

no mention of where they have been implemented though.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here