Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

M.K.Dons new Stadium

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT said:
Didn't really want to get dragged into this... but this rumour is totally untrue.... presumably another rumour AFC fans have been spreading.

If it happened to Brighton I'd be sick to the teeth and I'd fight tooth and nail to stop it happening.

However..... it happened.... time passed on and a new team was born with a new set of fans... AFC fans and the like need to get over it and stop blackening a team whose only sin today is that Winkelman is the chairman. With or without Winkelman the team goes on.

Actually it's not. The information I have came from a senior member of their supporters association and a member of their trust board. They have told me that it happens. Admitedly it does not happen as much as it used to but it still happens. It has been extensively discussed on their message boards in the past, and not by AFCW fans either.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Frutos said:
No really 'your' local team though, is it?

Just someone else's that's been plonked on your doorstep.

but it just so happens that it is fairly recent. What about Arsenal? they played for years at Woolich and then were " plonked" in North london!

My concern in all of this and why I do not have that much sympathy with AFC, is we chose to stay and fight...we organised marches, demostrations, we fought tooth and nail to save B&HA...AFC supporters gave up and created their own team...good luck to them, but please dont tell me othetr non league teams are happy with AFC, because that is far from the truth. There are many non league fans work in our offices and they all hate the way AFC have come in all billy big bollocks and had the finances to lever their way through the divisions

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Dave the Gaffer said:
but it just so happens that it is fairly recent. What about Arsenal? they played for years at Woolich and then were " plonked" in North london!

but Arsenal stayed in the same city and only moved, what, 5 or 10 miles at most. MK Dons aren't even in the same county.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Buzzer said:
but Arsenal stayed in the same city and only moved, what, 5 or 10 miles at most. MK Dons aren't even in the same county.

It was more the principle I was getting at...but yes you are correct

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Then you have that hilarious creation called FC United, created by a load of Mancs who took exception to an American buying their club, strange people...did anyone think of starting an FC Chelsea when Abramovich started pumping his millions into the club, don't think so.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
A look back at History shows that even Arsenal moved in what was a controversial event of its time 100 years or so ago.

Lets face it in 50 years time no one will remember what happened with Wimbledon, its sad, but its evolution and many other clubs may merge/move in that period of time like has happened on occasion over the last 50 years.

Milton Keynes wasnt there 50 years ago, its a thriving city with a young population and will in time be able to support a League 1/CCC side with a good stadium and probably a healthy support, the people of the city didnt really fight to have a league side, so how their fans can be plastic is beyond me, they have in good numbers taken to having a football team plonked in their town and by incentivising kids to go along I hope they do well, they have the right idea.

Resentment about their stadium is just a waste of energy, its easy to build in Milton Keynes, they are Guaranteed events there because of its central location and due to the amount of financial institutions and multinational companies based there now they will be able to get the sort of finance that we can only dream about.

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Dave the Gaffer said:
It was more the principle I was getting at...but yes you are correct
If Brighton moved to Shoreham its still in the Brighton area, and the team will still rightly be called Brighton. If we moved to Ashford and were called Ashford Gulls it'd be the same as what happened to the Dons.

From what I've heard from a good source, only a max of 20 Wimbledon fans watch MK Dons. Many thousands have switched to AFC and I think god forbid, the same would happen with the Albion. Suddenly a team would be formed in Brighton and have a lot of financial clout.

I just feel sorry for Wimbledon because it's all too close to home and familiar (in Albion terms). Out of every team in the league, we should probably be the most sympathetic. It's happened, the precedent is set, it could happen again. To see MK with a nice new ground, is worrying.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Rougvie said:
Milton Keynes wasnt there 50 years ago, its a thriving city with a young population and will in time be able to support a League 1/CCC side with a good stadium and probably a healthy support, the people of the city didnt really fight to have a league side, so how their fans can be plastic is beyond me, they have in good numbers taken to having a football team plonked in their town and by incentivising kids to go along I hope they do well, they have the right idea.
Still doesn't make it right though, if they wanted a league club then they should earn it, not just stel another clubs place.

Dave the Gaffer said:
My concern in all of this and why I do not have that much sympathy with AFC, is we chose to stay and fight...we organised marches, demostrations, we fought tooth and nail to save B&HA...AFC supporters gave up and created their own team...good luck to them, but please dont tell me othetr non league teams are happy with AFC, because that is far from the truth. There are many non league fans work in our offices and they all hate the way AFC have come in all billy big bollocks and had the finances to lever their way through the divisions

No they didn't 'give up and create their own team'. Can I suggest you go and look at the timelines involved in this entire affair. You will find that AFC Wimbledon was formed AFTER the 3 man commission handed down a legally binding descision to permit the move to MK. Once that descision was handed down Wimbledon FC effectively ceased to exist and the choice was made to form a new team, AFC Wimbledon. The team was not formed until after the legally binding, non-appealable descision was made.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Billy the Fish said:
Still doesn't make it right though, if they wanted a league club then they should earn it, not just stel another clubs place.

The fans didnt tho did they ?

Some contributers to this thread appear to think that Clubs 'belong' to the fans, they dont, sure the directors have a duty of responsibility to the fans, but its a bit rich to condem anyone who goes along to watch 'local' football, whats forgotten is that Wimbledon were in freefall when they were relegated from the Premiership, its was hardly a long journey to Sellhurst Park, 10 mins to Clapham, then 20 or so mins on to Norwood/Sellhurst, but the fans didnt travel in numbers when the glory days ended, interest dwindled and there was only ever going to be two options, go bust completely or let the club be sold off and moved.

Blaming Merton Council is an easy option, but Wimbledon FC had every oppertunity to pay the council in order to gain control of the stadium, but if memory serves defaulted on more than 5 times over the long period they had to pay the council in installments.

If the fans had backed the club in numbers after the initial relegation things may have been different, but they didn't, I miss Plough Lane, for those who can remember it, it was a good day out, often with a trip to the dogs after, but Wimbledon were a shambles of a club behind the scenes and the fairweather Premiership fans who deserted have a lot to answer for too.

Last edited:

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Rougvie said:
The fans didnt tho did they ?

Some contributers to this thread appear to think that Clubs 'belong' to the fans, they dont, sure the directors have a duty of responsibility to the fans, but its a bit rich to condem anyone who goes along to watch 'local' football, whats forgotten is that Wimbledon were in freefall when they were relegated from the Premiership, its was hardly a long journey to Sellhurst Park, 10 mins to Clapham, then 20 or so mins on to Norwood/Sellhurst, but the fans didnt travel in numbers when the glory days ended, interest dwindled and there was only ever going to be two options, go bust completely or let the club be sold off and moved.

Blaming Merton Council is an easy option, but Wimbledon FC had every oppertunity to pay the council in order to gain control of the stadium, but if memory serves defaulted on more than 5 times over the long period they had to pay the council in installments.

If the fans had backed the club in numbers after the initial relegation things may have been different, but they didn't, I miss Plough Lane, for those who can remember it, it was a good day out, often with a trip to the dogs after, but Wimbledon were a shambles of a club behind the scenes and the fairweather Premiership fans who deserted have a lot to answer for too.

Sounds Familiar, don't you think?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Rougvie said:

I miss Plough Lane, for those who can remember it, it was a good day out, often with a trip to the dogs after, but Wimbledon were a shambles of a club behind the scenes and the fairweather Premiership fans who deserted have a lot to answer for too.

:lolol: :lolol: I remember Plough Lane.....stepping on a police dogs tail and watching the Brighton "Fans" chasing the wombles up the road throwing anything they could get their hands on! Not clever Kids:p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here