Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lyricist cracks GOSBTS enigma.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Credit to whoever has put the new arrangement of the 'entry on to the field' tune together - it completely re-writes the original, and misses a whole eight lines (the "For we're the men from Sussex" bit) - but it suits Albion fans' understanding of how GOSBTS should be sung - with "And we're going up ..." fast-tracked forward.

If the words are going to be re-written as well, we need to decide first what version of the tune to use. BrixtonA23 has restored "For we're the men ...", so his version obviously won't fit the version of the tune that is now played at the Amex.

Incidentally ... Who did re-arrange the tune? They've done a cracking job, in my opinion, to get something that works as well as it does.
oh dear... this is the type of thinking that will sustain the dog's dinner and which I'm afraid is the dominant view amongst those who could easily influence this at the club (i.e. Reynolds & Co.)...

the current effort is COMPLETELY HOPELESS... most of the kids in the Family Stand would be capable of understanding the issue better and could also generate the solution (i.e. a "Powerpoint" type presentation to go up on the big screen accompanied by the proper tune...) given half an hour and a computer...

oh dear... this is the type of thinking that will sustain the dog's dinner and which I'm afraid is the dominant view amongst those who could easily influence this at the club (i.e. Reynolds & Co.)...

the current effort is COMPLETELY HOPELESS... most of the kids in the Family Stand would be capable of understanding the issue better and could also generate the solution (i.e. a "Powerpoint" type presentation to go up on the big screen accompanied by the proper tune...) given half an hour and a computer...
... but it's LESS hopeless than the Withdean arrangement that we put up with for years ... totally disconnected with the way Albion fans relate to the anthem.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Dont like the "the Brighton" bit, replace with just "Brighton".

As in, "So when you see Brighton"

just change " the Brighton" to "the albion", and it'll fit perfectly

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I don't think the wrong words are the problem.

If you're looking at West Ham, Liverpool, Leeds, Birmingham, their songs are shorter (as the version of SBTS we've sung as long as I've supported Brighton is), at least the parts that are sung en masse. There are more lyrics to most of the songs, but they don't neccesarily sing the whole thing. I can see why some would like the full version or something like it to be sung, but I don't think it's ever likely to happen.

Esepcially when over the last few years our singing has become more and more basic, I don't know why, but wanting to go from that to full 5 minute renditions of Good Old Sussex By The Sea with the first world war lyrics are wanting too much.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I don't think the wrong words are the problem.

If you're looking at West Ham, Liverpool, Leeds, Birmingham, their songs are shorter (as the version of SBTS we've sung as long as I've supported Brighton is), at least the parts that are sung en masse. There are more lyrics to most of the songs, but they don't neccesarily sing the whole thing. I can see why some would like the full version or something like it to be sung, but I don't think it's ever likely to happen.

Esepcially when over the last few years our singing has become more and more basic, I don't know why, but wanting to go from that to full 5 minute renditions of Good Old Sussex By The Sea with the first world war lyrics are wanting too much.
pre kick-off is the unique opportunity to push for better... the optimal version (blend of original and Albion chorus) comes in around 90 seconds I should think...

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
... but it's LESS hopeless than the Withdean arrangement that we put up with for years ... totally disconnected with the way Albion fans relate to the anthem.
I agree it is LESS hopeless but it is a distant second best to the marvel that would be 3 stands BELTING OUT Sussex By The Sea...

Why have second best when something so good is achievable so easily and at minimal expense of time or money...?

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
I'm totally opposed to updating the traditional words.

the irony being that "and we're going up to win the cup" bit has nothing to do with the original words or sentiment whatsoever.

i actually really like this - the archer lines are superb.

the fact that the club have played two verse versions as the team come onto the pitch calls for an appropriately long version of this imo.

edit:
i don't agree with poyet's name in the tune. archer defines our current situation. but any living player or coach could end up elsewhere and has no place in an anthem.

Last edited:

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

eh.??

Wasn't that the same version that we had at the Goldstone.

As played by the band of HM Royal Marines

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
the irony being that "and we're going up to win the cup" bit has nothing to do with the original words or sentiment whatsoever.

i actually really like this - the archer lines are superb.

the fact that the club have played two verse versions as the team come onto the pitch calls for an appropriately long version of this imo.

edit:
i don't agree with poyet's name in the tune. archer defines our current situation. but any living player or coach could end up elsewhere and has no place in an anthem.
How is that ironical? It was you who talked me into going back to "Tell them all that we stand or fall" in the first place!

However IF the words are altered - then they should at least make sense; and "going up to win the cup" patently is just a load of nonsense. Also it rather illustrates the point that once you alter lyrics then no one ever agrees what they should be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here