Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] LWB candidates - Ryan Sessengon

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
I’ve been mulling over this apparent obsession with LWB and wanting competition for Solly. He is finally coming into his own in that position and now we are insisting on a back-up/competition.
We are not saying that about Lamprey because he is so good but does he have back-up? That’s when it dawned on me that yes we do. Solly could cover that position if needed!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’ve been mulling over this apparent obsession with LWB and wanting competition for Solly.

Solly was showing this kind of form at an away game at Derby when he was stretchered off (to the booing of a toxic crowd) with an ACL injury that ruled him out for the season and more.

Judging by the ref we have for Saturday, the lad is going to be unprotected from the Everton thugs and will probably receive a right good bruising (as will Lamptey).

If/when he gets injured, we need a like for like replacement. We don’t yet have one I believe. Bernardo is not the man. Alzate is more influential bossing the centre of the pitch and Cochrane is too inexperienced.

Naylor has been banging on about us needing a LWB and March’s phenomenal form has not changed this. Hopefully we get a natural left footer.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Whilst I'd agree about the money being thrown about being mad, I'd trust that Bloom, Barber and Ashworth would be balancing these concerns with long term planning. If there is any chance that they could pull of a loan with an option to buy deal for Sessegnon, it would hold such potential reward that it could be too good to refuse regardless of the impact on a great servant like Solly.

Sessegnon's career has stagnated at Spurs, but we are talking about a player who is 20 years old and yet already has several seasons of experience in both the Championship and Premier League. He could be ideally suited to our current formation and has the potential to be the player to fill England's gap at left back. Much as I love Solly, I don't think that you could say the latter of him.

I get the impression that our current policy is to get the jigsaw pieces as the opportunities arise rather than to put all of our efforts into one position. If there isn't a deal to be done at striker, but there is an opportunity to get a player with Sessegnon's potential we'll be pushing against the open door rather than 'doing a Leeds' by throwing increasingly reckless bids after someone who isn't available.

Yup, this.^ I like the jigsaw pieces analogy, and think you're right -- Lamptey would be a perfect example of that. Bloom seems happy to 'gamble' on the striker position too: it's been a regular concern amongst fans since we've been in the PL, but we've survived so far and, at present, look more likely to thrive* than survive.

*before someone jumps in, I do think we need another striker (although the club might view Izquierdo and, more pertinently, Andone recovering from injury as filling that gap)

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
Solly was showing this kind of form at an away game at Derby when he was stretchered off (to the booing of a toxic crowd) with an ACL injury that ruled him out for the season and more.

Judging by the ref we have for Saturday, the lad is going to be unprotected from the Everton thugs and will probably receive a right good bruising (as will Lamptey).

If/when he gets injured, we need a like for like replacement. We don’t yet have one I believe. Bernardo is not the man. Alzate is more influential bossing the centre of the pitch and Cochrane is too inexperienced.

Naylor has been banging on about us needing a LWB and March’s phenomenal form has not changed this. Hopefully we get a natural left footer.

Good points but I am hoping he can handle things better these days. Lamptey though is going to get a lot of rough treatment especially with the publicity. He does look like he can handle it, we can only hope, but he doesn’t have a like for like replacement either.
That was the point I was trying to make.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I thought Celtic didn’t have any money hence why little old Brighton is paying half of The Duffy wage, who knew!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Celtic are bidding for £20m players but we're subbing Duffy's wages something has gone wrong somewhere along the line!!!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Would like to think can compete with Stains.

Celtic is a big draw for players.

Leeds also is , despite what people refuse to believe

Players are going to want to play for Bielsa. Some players are going to see Celtic as a better choice.

We have to look like a good prospect in terms of playing time and set up though

Hopefully we can get this over the line.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I’m really keen on this. Despite Solly’s decent form, this would add goals/assists to the team which we desperately need, and where Solly’s record is poor (his shooting remains atrocious). Starting to look like the competition may be too hot for us again though.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
If Celtic are bidding for £20m players but we're subbing Duffy's wages something has gone wrong somewhere along the line!!!

Yeah what is this?

“Sorry we can’t afford to pay Duffys wages, covid ‘innit. Oh but here’s £20m for Sessengnon”?

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
Damn, I'm keen on this.

If we intend to primarily play a wing-back system you need excellent wing-backs.

It doesn't matter how much you love Solly and Tariq, we need back-ups for injury or fatique in what will be a very demanding season.
Not just back-ups - players in contention/competition for the first team.

Ideally we'd have two decent wing-backs on the left and on the right.
On the right we have Lamptey and Veltman (although we haven't seen much of Veltman in that position).
On the left we have Solly and Bernardo...

Would rather it was Sessegnon and Solly.

Right now I just don't think we have enough coverage on the left for a system we are heavily relying on.

Hopefully Sessegnon will look at what Lamptey has achieved, with his football and career, and follow suit.
Of course, I doubt it's up to him. I imagine negotiations between Brighton and Spurs, Bloom and Levy are not easy.

And I doubt Mourinho's ego could handle Sessegnon becoming the next Tariq Lamptey. The media questioning why he's not first choice at Tottenham. Unless we can play to his ego and say it was all his idea or something - a masterstroke of genius!
Celtic would probably be a better fit in that sense. Different league. Different standard. Nobody is really sure if you are brilliant.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Celtic would be an awful, awful choice.

SSN reporting the Scotch club are no longer an option, very sadly and disappointingly, the same is said of us.

“10:26
HOFFENHEIM WANT SESSEGNON

Hoffenheim want to sign Ryan Sessegnon on loan from Tottenham.

They are one of two German clubs interested in the left wing-back along with Hertha Berlin.

Sessegnon has fallen down the pecking order under Jose Mourinho following the signings of Sergio Reguillon and Gareth Bale.

Brighton and Celtic had been among the British clubs looking into loaning the England youth international but are no longer believed to be in the running.”

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
SSN reporting the Scotch club are no longer an option, very sadly and disappointingly, the same is said of us.

“10:26
HOFFENHEIM WANT SESSEGNON

Hoffenheim want to sign Ryan Sessegnon on loan from Tottenham.

They are one of two German clubs interested in the left wing-back along with Hertha Berlin.

Sessegnon has fallen down the pecking order under Jose Mourinho following the signings of Sergio Reguillon and Gareth Bale.

Brighton and Celtic had been among the British clubs looking into loaning the England youth international but are no longer believed to be in the running.”

Can see Spurs seeing an overseas move as much preferable to a Premier League side.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
The one draw back to the success of Lamptey is no other club wants egg on their face like Chelsea.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Because they were forced into selling a player due to lack of first team exposure and are reminded about it nearly everyday by the networks.

I don't think Chelsea are 'forced' into anything. If Brighton weren't forced into anything by Leeds, why would Chelsea be forced into anything by Brighton.

I think it's more likely Brighton enquired about the lad and Chelsea thought you know what he's not getting anywhere near our first team we might as well let him go to Brighton if he wants to go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here