Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LV County Championship - Division One: Surrey v Sussex Day 1

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That doesn't seem right. If the captains each opt to forfeit an innings going for a result, then I can just about see (although not totally) why it would be effectively the first, and not the second innings forfeited and therefore no bonus points would be played for.

But when through three days of bad weather no play has been possible and the match is automatically reduced to a one-innings match, it seems wrong that both teams should be deprived of the chance of getting bonus points, it could make a big difference this season.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
That doesn't seem right. If the captains each opt to forfeit an innings going for a result, then I can just about see (although not totally) why it would be effectively the first, and not the second innings forfeited and therefore no bonus points would be played for.

But when through three days of bad weather no play has been possible and the match is automatically reduced to a one-innings match, it seems wrong that both teams should be deprived of the chance of getting bonus points, it could make a big difference this season.

It encourages a result though. If you start that late, a team will have no chance of getting to the big batting points, so they will just grind it out taking no risks so that the opposition don't get their full bowling points.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Still raining in south London and has been most of the day. Silly game cricket.

Yorkshire making hay. Good decision by Warwickshire to bat first
Yorkshire 1st innings R M B 4s 6s SR
AW Gale lbw b Thomas 21 109 41 4 0 51.21
MP Vaughan c Ambrose b Anyon 5 104 29 0 0 17.24
A McGrath lbw b Thomas 58 115 85 11 0 68.23
Inzamam-ul-Haq c Ambrose b Anyon 8 24 14 1 0 57.14
JA Rudolph not out 147 251 193 23 2 76.16
GL Brophy lbw b Thomas 38 68 59 7 0 64.40
AU Rashid not out 52 94 86 9 0 60.46
Extras (b 8, lb 2, nb 31) 41

Total (5 wickets; 82 overs) 370 (4.51 runs per over)

To bat TT Bresnan, D Gough, A Shahzad, MJ Hoggard

Fall of wickets1-25 (Vaughan), 2-29 (Gale), 3-50 (Inzamam-ul-Haq), 4-133 (McGrath), 5-231 (Brophy)

Bowling O M R W Econ
SM Hole 12 4 43 0 3.58
AC Thomas 20 2 71 3 3.55 (7nb)
JE Anyon 15 3 80 2 5.33 (3nb)
HH Streak 13 1 72 0 5.53 (5nb)
DL Maddy 13 4 48 0 3.69
AGR Loudon 5 1 30 0 6.00
JO Troughton 4 0 16 0 4.00

Toss Warwickshire, who chose to bat first
Points Yorkshire 3*, Warwickshire ?

bellsize seagull

Mar 1, 2004
north london
just got back from the oval so gutted at no play...looked brighter when i turned up at 11.00 but then rain from 12....surely the only place in the uk for rain today then !....title race to the wire then !!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
4 points. f***ing great.*

*It has happened this year to both Yorkshire and Wankershire though, so let's not bleat about it like feeble-minded Northern monkeys.

larus

4 points. f***ing great.*

*It has happened this year to both Yorkshire and Wankershire though, so let's not bleat about it like feeble-minded Northern monkeys.

Why not. If I wanna bleat like a feeble-minded Northern monkey, I've got every goddam right to.

Can we complain like Kent and say that we should be allowed to play it again somewhere as it really is exceptional circumstances.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Why not. If I wanna bleat like a feeble-minded Northern monkey, I've got every goddam right to.

Can we complain like Kent and say that we should be allowed to play it again somewhere as it really is exceptional circumstances.

No we may not. We are upstanding Sussex folk, who will take the injustice in our stride before smiting our foes. Leave the mealy-mouthed whining and underhand shennanigans to the f-m-n-monkeys [and Kent].

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I don't really understand why it's been called off. I live about 6 miles west of the Oval and it's been DRY but CLOUDY here all day. Maybe it's SOGGY, or maybe SLURREY just want to STOP us getting the POINTS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here