Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Luke Williams gone...?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
You mean buy players in.

I take your points, but ultimately you need a DS coach and an incumbent manager that has a policy to promote youngsters.

The very nature of giving youth a chance means unless your Rooney'esk you are likely to be giving up a place of a better player, either by club policy, injury or suspension.

The young goalkeeper cost in access of £200 000, it isnt really the ethos of having a successful Academy.

An Academy needs to have a coach dealing with promising youngsters, then through the skill and the hard work of an innovative coach you can get rewards.

Although for me Wilkins fits the bill, I am guessing that Oscar has some expertise in this area too !!!

The DS team needs to rely on youth coming throught the ranks for the DS coach to work with and take on...

that will take years to change and currently wont happen, so to supliment the squad we have been bringing in released players. so we have local lads, who probably wont cut it at championship level with players released from the prem, no matter how good the coach is, you will not be seeing many DS players coming through to the first team if they are not good enough.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The DS team needs to rely on youth coming throught the ranks for the DS coach to work with and take on...

that will take years to change and currently wont happen, so to supliment the squad we have been bringing in released players. so we have local lads, who probably wont cut it at championship level with players released from the prem, no matter how good the coach is, you will not be seeing many DS players coming through to the first team if they are not good enough.

Mine wasnt a comment on Luke Williams, definitely not.

Of course the players need to be good, but do not underestimate the importance of opportunity and a desire from within the club to deliver it.

Oxlade-Chamberlain was sub for their youth team and playing a year below at times, he wasn't particularly highly regarded, I guess Bridcutt too might argue he wasnt given the support some others had whilst at Chelsea, its fine lines.

Nearly every successful professional footballer has a story to tell, a coach or manager to thank a circumstance that offered an unlikely pathway.

So of course you need to be good, but you needn't fly in another kid just because he isnt from Sussex or have just been handed an embellished CV from a persuasive agent.

Last edited:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
With the greatest respect to Luke Williams, we can probably do better.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I thought the Development Squad won their league last season, & were runners up to Charlton this season?

Littlebit

Jun 27, 2013
I agree in the main he was working with players released from other sides and the bright prospects (JFC and to an extent Solly March) seem to have been stuck in a sort of no mans land. Should be playing first team football to continue their development but deemed not good enough to break into that side.

Luke Williams has been very committed and loyal to his players, mangers and club and I think it is disgusting the way this man has been treated. The reason he lost his job was nothing to do with his performance. Him and his team didn't lose many games last season specially near the end of the season they were on a winning streak for many months.

He gave his players all his support and time. The fact of the matter is that Gus brought this man into the club and certain members of higher management wanted him out so came up with an excuse to get rid, and the excuse that was given is an absolute pile of s**t.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Luke Williams has been very committed and loyal to his players, mangers and club and I think it is disgusting the way this man has been treated. The reason he lost his job was nothing to do with his performance. Him and his team didn't lose many games last season specially near the end of the season they were on a winning streak for many months.

He gave his players all his support and time. The fact of the matter is that Gus brought this man into the club and certain members of higher management wanted him out so came up with an excuse to get rid, and the excuse that was given is an absolute pile of s**t.

Luke? If that is you just dish the dirt mate, no one reads NSC anyway. We'll protect you. Its like the mafia on here. :wink:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Hi Luke,

Firstly thanks for the service at the club. You appear to have done a great job.

However, as I am sure you know, this is football, and stuff like this happens, usually through no fault of your own. You appear to be a bright young coach, with a good number of years ahead of you, and I am sure you will find another club very soon, in some capacity.

All the Best,

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I thought the Development Squad won their league last season, & were runners up to Charlton this season?

For what it's worth, you finished fourth behind Charlton, Cardiff and Brentford (though I think you were second for a lot of the season).

In 2011-12, Albion finished 2nd in a league that had only 6 teams (Forest Green Rovers, Bournemouth, Cheltenham, Torquay and Crawley).

In 2012-13, in the new Professional Development U-21 league, Albion finished 3rd; Charlton were champions ahead of Cardiff on goal difference, 2 points ahead of Albion. Brentford finished 4th, 2 points behind Albion.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
In 2011-12, Albion finished 2nd in a league that had only 6 teams (Forest Green Rovers, Bournemouth, Cheltenham, Torquay and Crawley).

In 2012-13, in the new Professional Development U-21 league, Albion finished 3rd; Charlton were champions ahead of Cardiff on goal difference, 2 points ahead of Albion. Brentford finished 4th, 2 points behind Albion.

Ah, aplogies, I was going by the table on the U-21 League 2 Wiki page, which on rechecking is a few games short of being the final table for the season.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
When Gus arrived there was a clear-out of the old retainers as it was thought there shouldn't be any legacy employees in the new regime (White and Booker) who didn't fit in with the new strategy. History is repeating itself and there is another "re-alignment" now Oscar has arrived.

Littlebit

Jun 27, 2013
Hi Luke,

Firstly thanks for the service at the club. You appear to have done a great job.

However, as I am sure you know, this is football, and stuff like this happens, usually through no fault of your own. You appear to be a bright young coach, with a good number of years ahead of you, and I am sure you will find another club very soon, in some capacity.

All the Best,

Hi

Not Luke, just a fan of his.
He has done a great job its a shame and i am saddened to see him go after all his hard work.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Talking local lads, we get the 2nd teir ones currently! The best go to Chelsea etc.

This WILL change when we have the academy and THIS will be the main reason we will start to bring quality Champ level players through rather than L1 and L2 types.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Talking local lads, we get the 2nd teir ones currently! The best go to Chelsea etc.

This WILL change when we have the academy and THIS will be the main reason we will start to bring quality Champ level players through rather than L1 and L2 types.

Don't automatically assume you will get Category 1 status when the new training ground is built. Charlton thought they met every requirement for Cat 1 but were given Cat 2. We're now Cat 2 Southern champions at both U-21 and U-18 plus national champions at U-21 and have England internationals (several of them captains) at pretty much every age group from U-18 down, but still no closer to Cat 1. The FA/PL make it up as they go along. #closedshop

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here