Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Luke Williams gone...?

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
With the new academy just around the corner perhaps we are just bringing in a top notch team who will be able to get the best out of the youngsters. This will ultimately/hopefully ensure they make the first team so that we can avoid having to keep buying players. Didn't Zaha come through the academy of that lot up the road.

Its just a thought, however am now expecting to be shot down in flames by the NSC mafia because of my view.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
So, if TB made the final decision, does that mean Barber 'investigated'? If he did then he must be doing a very thorough and professional job...TB is not a fool and the more the pieces are coming together the more I am being impressed with TB's long game. Could just mean that Barber coming in was the first piece of a master plan by TB. All designed around his overall 5 year plan?...

Not entirely sure what your first sentence means in this respect, but I agree that Barber's appointment was central to TB's long term plan, and that imo he's doing a very good job so far.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We may seem more people leaving as Tony clears out the areas that aren't up to scratch in his view.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
Not entirely sure what your first sentence means in this respect, but I agree that Barber's appointment was central to TB's long term plan, and that imo he's doing a very good job so far.

Sorry, I was referring to your original view that TB & co assessed the DS operation so was saying the assessment (investigation) was done by Barber and the decision to replace Williams was done by TB.

After the last few weeks my sentences seem to always have the word 'investigation' in them!! Assessment is better suited in this case!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I wonder if these changes were in plan pre Gus going? Were they instigated by him or now happening because he is out of the way?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I think it's bit harsh for people to say he didn't get the best out of players. How would anyone on here really know? You can only work with what you've got (and at times given) and you can't make a 1st team manager give the players a chance. If the club want to changes things fine, but it's a bit harsh to say he wasn't doing a good job.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Sorry, I was referring to your original view that TB & co assessed the DS operation so was saying the assessment (investigation) was done by Barber and the decision to replace Williams was done by TB.

After the last few weeks my sentences seem to always have the word 'investigation' in them!! Assessment is better suited in this case!

Ah, I see, thanks. Yup, that's probably the size of it.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I think it's bit harsh for people to say he didn't get the best out of players. How would anyone on here really know? You can only work with what you've got (and at times given) and you can't make a 1st team manager give the players a chance. If the club want to changes things fine, but it's a bit harsh to say he wasn't doing a good job.

I'm not suggesting Luke wasn't doing a good job, I have no idea. But maybe he wasn't doing as good a job as is required for the stage we're now at. Subtle but important difference.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I really hope the rumour about Wilkins is true. I would love to see him back involved with the club. Heading up the Dev Squad is perfect for him.

This, wrongly sacked by Knight, I would welcome him back with open arms. Love that man.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I never said that (if that was aimed at me). I simply asked how anyone knew that he WAS doing a good job. I have no idea at all, either way, as I've never seen him, or indeed the DS in action.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
This, wrongly sacked by Knight, I would welcome him back with open arms. Love that man.

Members of the bloom family held the view he was a coach not a manager. This would see them keeping to their word

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Presumably part of Oscar's remit will involve assisting with the structuring of the academy. He was heavily involved with Barca's La Massia, which is by far the best academy in the world right now, so makes perfect sense to ensure Oscar's knowledge is utilised.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Tony Bloom has a couple of very sharp axes, and is doing some crazy windmills this week.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

I agree in the main he was working with players released from other sides and the bright prospects (JFC and to an extent Solly March) seem to have been stuck in a sort of no mans land. Should be playing first team football to continue their development but deemed not good enough to break into that side.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
so who came through/was brought in then thats had a sniff of some first team action? (I can only guess these were in the Luke Williams era)

JFC
Solly March
Lewis Dunk
Grant Hall
George Barker
Toby Adgestein

In terms of getting them near to the first team, not a bad result. In terms of consistent playing time the only person who had a run was Lewis Dunk...?

Wonder how this compares to other clubs

Lush

Mods' Pet
We need to have the DS players coming through, not least because they're potentially a way of making money/help to cope with FFP?

JFC and Toby should be flying by now.Looking forward to Dunk and Barker putting the off field events of last season behind them too.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
We need to have the DS players coming through, not least because they're potentially a way of making money/help to cope with FFP?

JFC and Toby should be flying by now.Looking forward to Dunk and Barker putting the off field events of last season behind them too.

How often do you go and watch them?

Toby is not even close to cutting it in the first team.

JFC, went out on loan and didnt enjoy it at Oxford, He still in my opinion has a bit of work to do on his game, but has the potential to be a baller.

The problem with the DS team is the first team have jumped up several levels compared to the level the youth team and the DS team are at.

Until we start signing players specfically for the DS team we will struggle to see players coming through, just taking Top Prem clubs realesed players will not work, as if they had the potential to play in the championship at 18/19 they would be kept on.

Signing the young GK from Plymouth is the way we should continue to go and grow players through our DS team, not relying on out of contract prem players.

By the way this was not all aimed at you apologies.

Lush

Mods' Pet

JFC, went out on loan and didnt enjoy it at Oxford, He still in my opinion has a bit of work to do on his game, but has the potential to be a baller.

The problem with the DS team is the first team have jumped up several levels compared to the level the youth team and the DS team are at.

Until we start signing players specfically for the DS team we will struggle to see players coming through, just taking Top Prem clubs realesed players will not work, as if they had the potential to play in the championship at 18/19 they would be kept on.

Signing the young GK from Plymouth is the way we should continue to go and grow players through our DS team, not relying on out of contract prem players.

Good points. No probs. :thumbsup:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

You mean buy players in.

I take your points, but ultimately you need a DS coach and an incumbent manager that has a policy to promote youngsters.

The very nature of giving youth a chance means unless your Rooney'esk you are likely to be giving up a place of a better player, either by club policy, injury or suspension.

The young goalkeeper cost in access of £200 000, it isnt really the ethos of having a successful Academy.

An Academy needs to have a coach dealing with promising youngsters, then through the skill and the hard work of an innovative coach you can get rewards.

Although for me Wilkins fits the bill, I am guessing that Oscar has some expertise in this area too !!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here