Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lucasfilm sold to Disney

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
George Lucas has sold off his film label for $4.09 billion (£2.5billion) pounds to Disney. They now plan to make episode 7 by 2015 and other new ones every 2-3 years. Really not sure to make of this, I'm a big star wars fan but Lucas made some terrible judgements in the newer star wars films. And I can't stand the Disney franchise but they can make really good kids films.
Thoughts?

Glad this popped up as was about to post thread on same subject.

Whilst I know that it is something Lucas always talked about and eventually decided to ditch, whilst there is certainly material to work on, in terms of the extended star wars universe that carries on from where episode 6 left off, I feel it's been left too late for them to make a new trilogy it in terms of bringing that material to the big screen.

If they make 7-9 then it is to be expected that it will still be focusing on Luke/Han/Leia, and the likelihood is they will look for other actors to play those roles than Hamill, Ford and Fisher because they are at an age which would not fit where they want the characters to be. IMO no other actors can do those roles justice because of how iconic they and the original trilogy are. Whilst I have no doubts Disney will treat the reverence that is held about the saga by many with due respect, it is simply a cash cow exercise in my view.

I would have no issue if they decided to make other films that didn't encroach on the original trilogy or past the end of "Return of The Jedi". Having played "The Force Unleashed" video game, I feel that would make a brilliant movie, because it fills in the gaps between episodes 3-4 in terms of the birth of the Rebellion. Another video game that would make a great film is the one based on Jango Fett, which give you the back story on the creation of the Clone Army.

Nothing more to add really...may the force be with us all!!

Last edited:

Dec 29, 2011
I can't see them making a decent return on that investment unless they have something seriously innovative up their sleeve.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
a big fat "meh". watching the series on back to back weekends at the moment, showed how weak the first series was, in particular how contrived the third is to deliver us to the point picked up in A New Hope... which had me stuck in the front for the whole time. still a quality film. unlike III whatever its called which is just awful, with absoutly no good reason given why Aniken should trust and believe in Palpatine rather than everyone else.

what can disney do with this? well it cant be any worse. but it'll never be as good as the first.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
This position is what is referred to as a 69.

George+Lucas+Star+Wars+Celebration+V+Disney+q3SZiUADSael.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here