Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LuaLua, is there a reason why?...

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
He's, seemingly, got a bit of an attitude problem. But Gus did pull out all stops to sign him.

Just like he tried last season before last to sign harley then missed out but then went back in for harley last season and how good is harley? Gus's jugement on players are baffling.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Lua lua used to be fast and he used to have an incredible shot on him. Confidence seems shot at the moment and he is woeful.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Poyet should be utterly ashamed that with 80 minutes on the clock tonight and us going absolutely nowhere as usual, he chose to bring on Dean f***ing Hamond instead of KLL. Hammond, the slowest, most predictable, uninspiring and least likely to score player we have, on at a time when we desperately needed a goal. And a winger who, while unpredictable, has the ability to score or make an assist, sits on the bench. Absolutely shameful.

Sadly, I have to agree. I really don't think Hammond's return has been successful so far. KLL is still a potential match winner.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Poyet should be utterly ashamed that with 80 minutes on the clock tonight and us going absolutely nowhere as usual, he chose to bring on Dean f***ing Hamond instead of KLL. Hammond, the slowest, most predictable, uninspiring and least likely to score player we have, on at a time when we desperately needed a goal. And a winger who, while unpredictable, has the ability to score or make an assist, sits on the bench. Absolutely shameful.

Spot on as always, seriously, you'd think when losing a game 1-0 you'd at least try and use up all your attacking substitutions to at least go for a point rather than accept yet another predictable 0-1 reverse.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Do you really think football is that simple? :lolol:

Not all wingers rely on pace. I rather liked that David Beckham bloke, who would create a yard for a cross and then put it wherever he chose to. You don't have to barrel past everyone if you have the technical ability that he does. Elliott Bennett is very quick, but he was more reliant on his technique than running away from people and if we're being honest, we have never replaced him.

I do agree though, I've never liked inverting wingers. Left footers on the right, right footers on the left. Where's the logic? I've never liked it and never will.

Totally agree with your Bennett comment more so than people realise. I'd also say we've never replaced Murray but that's a different story.

I'd also say that football can be as simple from a tactical perspective as a coach makes it and Leicester are proving that with a basic old fashioned 4-4-2 formation. They knew that their wingers and strikers should push onto our back four to stop us from playing from the back and keeping hold of our possession which forced us to go longer than we usually do.

As for Beckham...I do get what you say however he was an exceptional player and didn't need to use his pace...again though you would never see him having to cut back into his right from being played on the left.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
If I was Lua Lua, Dobbie, Lopez, Toby, Harley, and possibly JFC, I would be looking to move on, he is so focussed on Barnes and Dicker that there is little chance any of these guys getting a regular spot.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't know about SHAMEFUL but that was indeed a quite baffling decision.

As for KLL, he has been almost useless for us in this division. However, why bother having him in the squad at all if he isn't even going to get a run out with us chasing the game just a goal behind?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
If I was Lua Lua, Dobbie, Lopez, Toby, Harley, and possibly JFC, I would be looking to move on, he is so focussed on Barnes and Dicker that there is little chance any of these guys getting a regular spot.

I partially agree but none of those 6 do the same jobs as the two mentioned. In fact, in our system, only the chronically unfit Lua Lua can play LW and Harley for swap for Dicker. Dobbie would only indirectly compete with either.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Must admit I am suprised by how little he plays and would like to see him on the pitch more but Gus obviously doesn't trust him to do a job at the moment.

In fairness to Gus, Lua Lua did have an opportunity when he started against Ipswich but was really poor, admittedly against a very good opponent in Carlos Edwards, but he offered nothing that game.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Must admit I am suprised by how little he plays and would like to see him on the pitch more but Gus obviously doesn't trust him to do a job at the moment.

In fairness to Gus, Lua Lua did have an opportunity when he started against Ipswich but was really poor, admittedly against a very good opponent in Carlos Edwards, but he offered nothing that game.

Fair point, but how many chances does Barnes get?

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
The problem is that he is only quick over the first 10 yards. How often to you see him making 20-30 yard runs to get in behind the defender or just trust his pace and knock and run past his man. Every time he gets the ball he stops, waits for the defender to get flat footed and then hopes that he can get that burst in before the defender can recover. That might work on the lesser ful-backs but anyone who has done their homework on him will just stand a yard off him and show him onto his weaker foot.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Kaz has been under-used. He looked like the only player likely to create anything when he came on against Birmingham. The guy sitting next to me, who had never seen Brighton play before, couldn't believe he hadn't been playing since the start.

He did have a poor game against Ipswich, but strange how everyone seems to remember that rather than how good he's looked when he's come on for us in other matches.

Maybe the reason he 'hasn't done anything for us' for a while, is because he rarely gets the opportunity except to come on for the last ten or 15 minutes when we're chasing a game. I also can't think of anyone else in the side (apart from Vicente AWOL Rodriguez) who can take a decent free kick when we get one on the edge of the box.

He's still our most exciting player, IMO - and as the OP stated, the one player most likely to create something out of nothing. God knows why Poyet didn't bring him on last night - I am inclined to think there is a bit of an issue between them, but if that was the case why didn't he offload him and keep Noone instead?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

I LOVE this and summed up quite quite BRILLIANTLY.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Lua lua used to be fast and he used to have an incredible shot on him. Confidence seems shot at the moment and he is woeful.

I don't think he'll ever recover from the serious injury he had and is never going to be the same. Such a shame as he was a joy to watch.

I think Gus took a gamble on him doing so but the club seem to be unable to sort out injury problems with our best players, ie LuaLua, Buckley, Vicente

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

And exactly the reason why it appears there is player discontent, and why there may be a rush for the door if opportunities arise once we get to January. I reckon the club will be having a bit of a challenge keeping our best players, nobody will want Barnes and Dicker sadly.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I believe that he is still getting back to full fitness, so hardly suprising that he is not quite the KLL that we are used to. Added of course to the thought that a lot of clubs have seen what he can do and now plan for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here