Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lua 4 - 4 - 2

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Do you think we'll play 4 - 4 -2 with Lua Lua back ?

Was always part of a 5 man midfield and I think Gus personally prefers this formation.

Would mean Barnes to the bench and perhaps the need for a striker is now less so ?

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Gus said we would play 442 if we had the right players (I.e Lua Lua) so yes. Barnes and Murray upfront.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Get the feeling Gus wants to go 442 if we have the right players. Perhaps we will now with KLL.
Also think we need to play 3 central midfielders with Kish in the side just because someone needs to do his running.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Gus has been saying for a while that he wants to play with 2 strikers.
Ankergren
Calderon Elphick Greer Painter
Bennett Dicker Sparrow Lualua
Murray Barnes

With 2 strikers and pacey wingers we force their defence to play deeper meaning that their midfield have to drop to reduce the space in front of the centre backs.
Sparrow will try to fill that space as often as he can leaving Dicker to sit deeper and pick out passes to keep the game moving.
This should also help bring Calderon and Painter into the game as a option to pass to when we are trying to keep the ball and Bennett and Lualua are further upfield in attacking positions.

We look a little thin in the midfield tackling role but with the opposition having to drop deep whe we have the ball this should allow us to squeeze out teams in possesion rather than chop them down

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Brezovan
Bennett Sparrow *Kishishev Lualua
Murray Barnes

*Kishishev to be replaced by Dicker after 65 mins.
A winning team.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Brezovan
Bennett Sparrow *Kishishev Lualua
Murray Barnes

*Kishishev to be replaced by Dicker after 65 mins.
A winning team.

Yep that would be my team, think Kish can play that defensive role better than Dicker. Also noone really knows too much about Bridcutt yet so theres that option too.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
no chance. he has always favoured his 433/451 formation. lua lua will play wide left attacker.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think we will see much more rotation of players, especially in midfield, game-to-game than we have previously with Bennett Sparrow and LuaLua nailed on for home games and Kishishev ahead of Bridcutt and Dicker then Caskey for the final place in a 4-4-2 and changing to 4-5-1 depending on the opposition. Away I would expect us to play one man up front as often as not. I think Bridcutt will surprise people - he is potentially very good indeed at this level.

With a new striker to come we are beginning to look like potential contenders for the play-offs

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Was it just me, or was there a tactical shift at HT on Saturday that turned the game?

I thought we were playing more like a 442, but went 433 (definitely not 451) in the second half and we were a far more effective attacking force.

FFF

Apr 3, 2010
Brezovan

Calderon
Elphick
Greer
Painter

Bennett
Sparrow
Navarro
Kishishev
LuaLua

Murray

Subs.
Barnes
Ankergren
El-Abd
Bridcutt
Dicker
Smith
Battipiedi/Baz/Hart/Caskey/Holroyd

Is our strongest team.

Obviously, we are not likely to see it with Navarro's injury.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Was it just me, or was there a tactical shift at HT on Saturday that turned the game?

I thought we were playing more like a 442, but went 433 (definitely not 451) in the second half and we were a far more effective attacking force.

I thought in the first half that Bennett was playing behind the strikers? It left Calderon and Painter exposed as we had a narrow midfield three of Dicker, Kish and Battipedi. I think the HT change was more attiude than anything.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
4-4-2 at home 4-5-1 away simples

:thumbsup::thumbsup: With the slight exception now and again - for example if you're playing a strong team such as the South Coast (managerless) Club you may need to go 4-5-1 at home IMO.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Brez

Calderon
Greer
Elphick
Painter

Bennett
Kishischev
Sparrow