Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lower league wages..

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It makes me laugh when you get commentators stating that the players of lower league "minnows" are paid a pittance- which in reality is generally more than the rest of us are paid. There are countless Blue Square Premier players earning more than I do (not saying my job is special, merely using it as an example of the inequality of such things).

Even if our players are on, say, £60k per year, i'd wager it's still more than many posters on here are on. And yes, you can tell me their careers are over by (say) 37...but then again they get more than adequate time to retrain, not to mention assistance from the PFA. If you or I got made redundant, would your union or employer fund a degree course for you for whatever vocation you chose?

No, so please don't give me the poverty-stricken-footballer bullshit, whatever level they play at, because there are plenty of options open to them, and there are a million people who would happily swap places, even for a mere year or two.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Macclesfield manager (Keith Alexander?) said on tele yesterday that his players wages ranged from £100 to £700pw.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Possibly, but the £100pw would be the lowest apprentice, while the £700pw one still equates to £2800 per month, more than your average road sweeper, or nurse, surely?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
apparently, joe gatting is on £200 per week of the season at whitehawk

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Exactement, and he can take a proper job too, therefore forgive me if I'm not that sympathetic to the unfailingly sub-standard performances dished out by lower league footballers.

Poverty-stricken, MY ARSE.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Exactement, and he can take a proper job too, therefore forgive me if I'm not that sympathetic to the unfailingly sub-standard performances dished out by lower league footballers.

Poverty-stricken, MY ARSE.

I don't think people are saying they are poverty stricken though. And for every footballer who goes on to play to 37 there is another John Piercey, Ben Roberts, Gerry Ryan, Gary Howlett etc, whose careers ended far earlier.

At League 1 the majority of players are on 1 or 2 year contracts, with no guarantee of continued employment beyond that period.

I don't feel sorry for them, as we all would like to play football for a living, but at the same time our players don't live WAG style existences.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I presume you mean he is not paid during the closed season.
I think Brian Powney was on £30 a week as player-manager of Southwick shortly after leaving the Albion. It was a surprise to realise he was an accomplished striker up to semi-pro standard!

We played 1 game when we only had 12 fit players on the books due to illness and so we named Tony Burns (goalkeeper) as a sub and the plan was if somebody got injured he was going to come on in goal and Brian Powney was going to go up front with the players shufling around to fill the injured players position.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It makes me laugh when you get commentators stating that the players of lower league "minnows" are paid a pittance- which in reality is generally more than the rest of us are paid. There are countless Blue Square Premier players earning more than I do (not saying my job is special, merely using it as an example of the inequality of such things).

Even if our players are on, say, £60k per year, i'd wager it's still more than many posters on here are on. And yes, you can tell me their careers are over by (say) 37...but then again they get more than adequate time to retrain, not to mention assistance from the PFA. If you or I got made redundant, would your union or employer fund a degree course for you for whatever vocation you chose?

No, so please don't give me the poverty-stricken-footballer bullshit, whatever level they play at, because there are plenty of options open to them, and there are a million people who would happily swap places, even for a mere year or two.

..and dont forget it is a part-time job as well.

I also roll my eyes when footballers say it is a short career. Why is this? Are they totally unemployable in any profession once they hang up their boots?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't begrudge them it, so long as they look like they're actually TRYING...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here