Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lower league wages..

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
A former player for us earned about £85k a year when we were in the Championship, dropping to about £60k when we were relegated.

Apparently the win and appearance bonuses have not been increased for 8 years!

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
You can always base wages on football manager 2009:lolol:can't be far off surely?;)
The gulf is huge between the championship and league 1 so it seems,wouldn't be surprised if forster is on 4-5k a week and to be frank he should be the highest earner,if virgo is the highest earner its a fu$king joke:censored:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I have a mate who is a Bury season ticket holder. None of their squad is on more than 30k a year, and many are on about 10-15, especially if they have come through the youth ranks.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
You can always base wages on football manager 2009:lolol:can't be far off surely?;)
The gulf is huge between the championship and league 1 so it seems,wouldn't be surprised if forster is on 4-5k a week and to be frank he should be the highest earner,if virgo is the highest earner its a fu$king joke:censored:

I also read the same article in the Sun, it did say that Virgo was our top earner on either 150 or 160 thousand pounds. I guess it is worth remembering that we signed Virgo from under the noses of a few championship clubs and it is therefore unsurprising that he is the top earner.

I am not saying he is our best player - but it does not surprise me one bit.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I also read the same article in the Sun, it did say that Virgo was our top earner on either 150 or 160 thousand pounds. I guess it is worth remembering that we signed Virgo from under the noses of a few championship clubs and it is therefore unsurprising that he is the top earner.

I am not saying he is our best player - but it does not surprise me one bit.
Yeah i understand that although forster has the exsperience and is the captain,so if i was him i would be pretty pi$$ed off;)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I remember Geoff Pitcher saying a few years ago that to leave Woking and the money he recieved from them on a part time basis, and his full time job (builder ?) he had to take a drop in money. So unless you are one of the two or three star names in a team I think about twelve hundred a week is about right.

When you think how many hours they actually work in a week its not bad.

Shinbreath

Nov 1, 2008
Hove...
In summary, they have a comfortable lifestyle playing 'pro' soccer'. Then they hit the real world and have to work for a living!

I'm sure that is a reality for a lot of players and for me that would seem like a huge fall from grace... One minute your someones hero, then next, your digging foundations for their extension...

Dunno wether i'd want it in the first place...

I remember Geoff Pitcher saying a few years ago that to leave Woking and the money he recieved from them on a part time basis, and his full time job (builder ?) he had to take a drop in money. So unless you are one of the two or three star names in a team I think about twelve hundred a week is about right.

The top part-time players with reasonable jobs have it made; I believe most Conference clubs have at least some players on £500 per week, funded by ridiculous ticket prices.

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006
Some players in the Hellenic League are on 150 quid a game - 6000 a year to play level 9 football in front of 50 people...

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

I know its not League 1, but this was something they encountered a lot in Wales when some teams (TNS, Llanelli) started going full-time pro, supposedly on English lower league budgets. The plan was that they'd easy be able to raid the best players from the rest of the league, but I remember one Aber player who worked out he'd have much more money from his part-time wage at from ATFC and working as a labourer, so thats not to mention the many part-time players who have quite good, well-earning jobs.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Some players in the Hellenic League are on 150 quid a game - 6000 a year to play level 9 football in front of 50 people...
Is 50 , the number of viewers when its shown on Setanta ? :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here