Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lower league Pompey

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Interesting that HMRC did not oppose administration and got their administrator appointed. Deals done methinks.

Best possible outcome for them today with a new administrator. FL haven't yet announced how many points will be deducted - rumour is 17 but my guess is they will get off with 10 which puts them level on points with Cov and Forest and outside the bottom 3 on goal difference. Looks like they will also be allowed to bring players in on loan to bolster their matchday squad rather than have to play academy products - in terms of committment I think they may be making a mistake tbh as what they need right now is fighters.

Big question of the day is whether Liam Lawrence will continue to sit in his armchair with his leg up or whether, now the sympathy vote isn't needed anymore, he will miraculously declare himself fit :lol:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I think they'll get more that 10 points deducted. The punishment is 10-20. for a first offence 10 is appropriate but doing it again and again (and so soon after the last time), then it *has* to be in the region of 15.

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Some highly entertaining Twitter action re this today, with the guy from TalkSport stating boldly that they should be automatically relegated, followed by dozens of whiny Pompey fans complaining that (1) it's not the fans' fault :yawn: (2) none of us really UNDERSTAND :cry: and (3) the FA/Football League/Harry Redknapp are to blame :facepalm:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If the FL impose a points deduction that will virtually relegate them they will be doing both Portsmouth and football in general a favour. Football because they will be seen to be doing something and Portsmouth because they will not need players like Lawrence and Kitson on 20k a week in Div 1 so can sell them and help their finances and then replace them with cheaper versions earning a lot less. Even with those players they will not reach the premier in the next 12 months.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Some highly entertaining Twitter action re this today, with the guy from TalkSport stating boldly that they should be automatically relegated, followed by dozens of whiny Pompey fans complaining that (1) it's not the fans' fault :yawn: (2) none of us really UNDERSTAND :cry: and (3) the FA/Football League/Harry Redknapp are to blame :facepalm:

Is That Adrian Durham by any chance? If so, he just wants to keep his beloved Posh up at any cost!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Is That Adrain Durham by any chance? If so, he just wants to keep his beloved Posh up at any cost!

I believe it was- it was certainly either him or the West Ham one.

Either way, I think it's reasonable that clubs who've kept their house in order at the expense of success on the pitch object strongly to clubs like Pompey. That said, I have a feeling the likes of Forest and Coventry will keep quiet on this subject, as there's every possibility of one or both finding themselves up shit creek financially in the next few months, so perhaps it'll be a case of what goes around comes around- and they don't want to put themselves at risk of a revenge vote in the future.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I believe it was- it was certainly either him or the West Ham one.

Either way, I think it's reasonable that clubs who've kept their house in order at the expense of success on the pitch object strongly to clubs like Pompey. That said, I have a feeling the likes of Forest and Coventry will keep quiet on this subject, as there's every possibility of one or both finding themselves up shit creek financially in the next few months, so perhaps it'll be a case of what goes around comes around- and they don't want to put themselves at risk of a revenge vote in the future.

Sounds more like Durham than the Moose.

Agree on Forest and Coventry. I was on one of the Forest Forums the other day. They are playing badly under Cotterill and they are petrified that they are going to go bust now that Doughty has passed on.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
I was on one of the Forest Forums the other day. They are playing badly under Cotterill and they are petrified that they are going to go bust now that Doughty has passed on.

the Forest board must be the only people surprised that "it isn't our fault" Cotterill is screwing up big time

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
the Forest board must be the only people surprised that "it isn't our fault" Cotterill is screwing up big time

Absolutely. They are going down. If any of the current bottom 3 can get out of it, following Pompey's administration, I can see it being Cov.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
a small example why, if anyone is tempted to feel sorry for Pompey, they should think again...................

Pompey sold Jason Pearce to Bournemouth who, as they were equally broke at that time (before Russian money transformed them) failed to pay the installments due on his transfer. As the player had improved greatly away from Fratton Park, Pompey re-signed him on reportedly advantageous terms. Had they not done so he would have gone to Peterboro (but this would have meant Bournemouth not only having to pay what they still owed but also giving Pompey a substantial sell-on percentage). Peterboro had already agreed a wage with Pearce of £3.5K a week (according to Anthony Darragh, Posh's owner). Portsmouth only had to match this wage to seal the deal and they knew (according to Darragh) the figures. So what did Pompey do? They offered Pearce £7.5K a week. That is £4,000 a week/£16,000 a month/£208,000* a year MORE than they needed to pay (please note these figures exclude tax and NI as Portsmouth don't pay any). This is just one case of financial mismanagement. There are doubtless many more.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Why do ANY companies do business with Portsmouth? You are basically doing the work for free.

Allowing them to go into administration for 4 or 5 million is a ridiculous decision,they will repay there creditors next to nothing and survive again,while small local businesses go bust because pompey cannot pay there bills . Will they do the same every 2 years while squandering the millions they get from television rights and parachute payments living beyond there means

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I think they'll get more that 10 points deducted. The punishment is 10-20. for a first offence 10 is appropriate but doing it again and again (and so soon after the last time), then it *has* to be in the region of 15.

Think Palace only got 10 for their second administration.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
The rules say 10 points for administration.

There are bigger penalties if they exit administration other than by a CVA (which is a system that pretty much guarantees no-one except football creditors get paid in full and as such is obviously opposed by the taxman).
There are also added penalties if they are still in admin at the beginning of next season (which is what has hurt the likes of Luton, Leeds and Southampton so hard in the past).

For now however the only guaranteed penalty no matter how many times a club defaults on its debts via administration is 10 points. The FL does have options to deduct extra points but they would pretty well certainly be challenged with the league being dragged through the courts for however long it took...... not a route they would want to go down tbh.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Strong suggestion that the FL will have no objection to Portsmouth signing a couple of players on a short term loan to help with their injury crisis - both WBA and Man Utd are prepared to let them have a player at no cost from the rumours I am hearing.

Anyone fancy opening a book on whether the Liam Lawrence injury suddenly improves once the need for public sympathy is removed?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Strong suggestion that the FL will have no objection to Portsmouth signing a couple of players on a short term loan to help with their injury crisis - both WBA and Man Utd are prepared to let them have a player at no cost from the rumours I am hearing.

Anyone fancy opening a book on whether the Liam Lawrence injury suddenly improves once the need for public sympathy is removed?

See? There is no God.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What a gutless bunch the FL are they should refuse permission and make them use the players they have as they must have reserves or youth. The FL are not helping them get straight in their financial dealings or helping other member clubs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here