Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lottery Winners + Work

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
According to BBC news (1pm), Stagecoach was on the verge of cutting hours for all staff to cut costs. Instead, with the Lottery winners now out of the way, remaining drivers can keep their hours thereby not losing as much/any pay.

In this case, I'd say the Lottery winners did the right thing.

D

Deleted member 22389

Have a different opinion on this. I think those bus drivers should have done the right thing and at least worked their notice out, regardless of how they feel towards the company. It was probably only a months notice.
It's all about doing the right things, and what they did here is not one of them. Best of luck to them in the future thou.

Rabeen

Jul 11, 2003
Worthing
I know that I would work my 'notice'. I'm a school teacher (primary) and would hate to leave the children in the lurch unnecessarily. About £3 million and we could easily survive on the interest.

It is a sensible plan to not up and leave, especially if you won a gigantic amount - it would draw attention to the win (potentially).

A lovely dilemma to have to ponder...

Right, I'd better teach this lot something...

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I'd phone in and ask for a 3 day holiday ( to celebrate ). If they were reasonable and gave me it, I'd work my notice. If not, they wouldn't hear from me again after putting the phone down.

Definitely what I would do

well that and start playing the Lottery..

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Depending on your individual state of affairs and age etc. I doubt most people could not afford to give up work on £1m and not work again - especially at the moment, with low investment rates.

Your million pounds will earn you: 1 day: £110, 1 month: £3,333, 1 year: £40,742, 5 years: £220,997, 10 years: £490,833, 20 years: £1,222,582, 30 years: £2,313,498. A small difference in the interest rate makes a big difference and Compound interest can grow your money by a huge amount over time.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I work for a major corporation, who get rid of people on a whim. So, I would be doing cartwheels through the office on my way to the exit door telling the management where they could shove their job as I pass them, along with details on where to send my final salary.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Your million pounds will earn you: 1 day: £110, 1 month: £3,333, 1 year: £40,742, 5 years: £220,997, 10 years: £490,833, 20 years: £1,222,582, 30 years: £2,313,498. A small difference in the interest rate makes a big difference and Compound interest can grow your money by a huge amount over time.

At what interest rate ? Besides, that's not how it happens is it - most people have a mortgage. I don't know how big the average mortage is, but say, even if you don't move house, it's £200k. You buy a new car and maybe pressies for friends and another £50k is gone. I would think your income from thiss alone is nearer or less than £20k. Then, what are you going to do with your time now, presumably something that doesn't cost much money.

All I'm saying is, that £1m does not give you a luxury lifestyle and not having to work again - though if you don't like your job, it gives you great options.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Have a different opinion on this. I think those bus drivers should have done the right thing and at least worked their notice out, regardless of how they feel towards the company. It was probably only a months notice.
It's all about doing the right things, and what they did here is not one of them. Best of luck to them in the future thou.

Unless they've been completely brainwashed by the usual touchy feely H.R. teambuilding style claptrap, few people with umpteen million in the bank are going to return to work. Especially if its a big company who wouldn't think twice about getting rid of staff or tinkering with terms & conditions of employment given half a chance.

Like Stagecoach for example?

D

Deleted member 18477

if i won 1 million to 5 million i'd work until i was 45ish. Maybe 50 because i'm greedy and don't hate work.

if i won 5 million + depending on how much i had won i'd consider earlier retirement.

if i won something ridiculous on the euro millions id work for another month (to hide the fact i had won whatever jackpot it was), work out who my true friends are, decide how much im going to give family and friends and then i'd quit work and drop the bombshell on them. and no i would not go public to the press. what kind of twat wants their picture in the paper as a multi millionaire winner. the world is a crazy place these days and some people are desperate for money!

Last edited by a moderator:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
How much would people have to win to completely stop work?
I've got another 11 years till I get my work pension. If I went now I've enough accrued to give me a living wage on 75% pension. So I need enough to live for 11 years; once you take tax/NI out of wages, and costs associated with going to work (clothes,car etc)and pay off my mortgage, I could live on £1500/month without changing my lifestyle.
So I could retire on just shy of 200k. be nice to have another zero on it though...

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

The "right thing" is to enjoy the money. The company can go fvck themselves, what obligation do any of those drivers have?

here's what one of the bus drivers said:
"I like doing what I do, don't get me wrong, I love my job, but I can't go driving a bus around when I've got an Aston Martin and I want to go to the race track."

THAT is the right thing!!

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Its all about whether the company has earned your loyaly. Loyalty cuts both ways. If the company has shown loyalty to you, then the right thing to do is reciprocate. If not then stuff 'em.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
I've got another 11 years till I get my work pension. If I went now I've enough accrued to give me a living wage on 75% pension. So I need enough to live for 11 years; once you take tax/NI out of wages, and costs associated with going to work (clothes,car etc)and pay off my mortgage, I could live on £1500/month without changing my lifestyle.
So I could retire on just shy of 200k. be nice to have another zero on it though...

Thank you for a sensible answer. The other 3 I got weren't as sensible!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
You could say the right thing to do is to leave instantly, so someone who desperately needs a job can take over sooner

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I'd give it a lot of thought then after 5 seconds I'd forget I ever worked for the company-but it would need to be 2 or 3 million. Put it in my Bulgarian Bank account, earn around 9-10% until I decided where to live although that's an easy choice, follow the sun and never be cold again.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Mellotron more like mellodramatic to be honest:lol::lol::lol:

I used to do Drama at school. My nickname was "dramatic" for obvious reasons.

I'd like to quash any rumours right now though and state that I HATE musicals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here