Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Losing the love for the albion

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've been supporting the mighty stripes for over 20 years, been solidly going to 35+ games a season for about 15 years now, a football club is about the fans and the club for me are so out of touch & have completely forgotten where we've come from & the ones that ensured were here today to a level thats quite obsurd!

Rant over

It's a great rant but it doesn't quite add up, especially the bit about going to 35+ games a season for 20 years. A simple search shows that you were working in Madeira in 2007, moaning that you couldn't get to games.

I am not sure what people expected but reading through most of these comments I can't help but feel that this is more of people's own insecurities that they are no longer part of a small clique of supporters rather than the way the club is now being ran. Like a band you first saw in a pub before they were famous that years later have 'sold out' because they are playing the O2 and your dad now has their CD in his car.

there are valid comments with regard to 'modern football', and I believe football is expensive (I still go though) and I believe wages are too high, however this comment is the money shot in most cases

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
it would be nice to get some input from gus about todays game .......and perhaps if he is not 100% sure he could ask for some help....:flounce:

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
What the hell am I reading ?

Isn't this what everyone campaigned for over all those years ? Didn't we moan how 'tin pot' we are and that we needed a more professional approach to running a club ?

Well that's what we've got and I for one am loving it , no more are we a club that people look down their noses at. TB and Gus have a mission to turn us into a top club and I'm afraid that doesn't come without a more corporate feel.

I'm bored with the phrase ' well the club aren't listening to the fans' maybe sometimes the fans should listen to the club an accept their view as well.

If you want to support a club with a local feel or a club where you are 'in the know' maybe you should try Eastbourne or Crawley
Hit the nail right on the head! some of the comments are unbelievable.

Jez, if the pies n beers are too expensive for you don't buy them! you have a choice! When seats were being sold at the pre opening of the Amex it was explicitly mentioned that the back 4-5 rows of the NS would be standing, hence that is where i bought my seat. Moan off FFS, if you don't want your seat-sell it.

Jan 30, 2008
Jez, if the pies n beers are too expensive for you don't buy them! you have a choice! When seats were being sold at the pre opening of the Amex it was explicitly mentioned that the back 4-5 rows of the NS would be standing, hence that is where i bought my seat. Moan off FFS, if you don't want your seat-sell it.
the novelty has worn off which is understandable, GRASSING UP HOTLINES, INCREASE IN FOOD PRICES, don't sing this and don't do that, it's always going to be an issue for some. ???

oh ah stantona

Oct 19, 2008
I no exactly what you mean i have held a season ticket for 15 years now....im not slating the stadium its awesome, the brand of football is great, the ambition of the club is great...i think when we were at Withdean & that other unmentionable ground in kent...with gates of 3'000 in kent and between 6-9k at withdean...the fans were the lifeblood of the club hence we were important to them Dick Knight always kept us informed and was one of us always had time to talk with individuals and actually remembered your name if he spoke to you more then once, the players were more assesable and down to earth..there was a real feeling of togetherness...now we have massive gates of 25k plus, those few who have stuck with the club through thick and thin i guess we feel we have done our job in keeping the club alive and maybe the club has got to big for us and to corporate...as i said im not slating the clus thats progress fair play to them maybe the club has left a few of us old boys behind maybe we should put our support behind a local non league club that needs the revenue....once again not slating the club i love b4 all you teenagers and keyboard warriors get out of your prams its just progress...

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
Last year I really enjoyed the 7 times that I was able to get to the Amex. The Amex is such a great place to watch football and sometimes I forget just how good the Amex experience is. I went with a mate to Fratton Park a few weeks ago and that is really rubbish; and they charged £25 for that cr@p! However, the Amex Park & Ride really annoys me and the lack of shelter when waiting for the Park & Ride really needs to be addressed. At my age I can't afford to be so cold for so long! When I went to Hull earlier this year we were home (we live in Lincoln) in less time than I would have even reached my car at the Mill Road Park & Ride if I had been at the Amex. Have I lost the love for the Albion? No, of course not.

lfc

Sep 2, 2011
Some really good points, and I find myself in agreement with you.
I think you will have to look back at the roots of any football club to find the answer. Scouse family, brought up in Sussex. LFC has all the typical Pl tendencies. foriegn management, superstar wages, big ego's, money grabbing at every opportunity, and the all important "Brand".
The big difference is the support, the crowd. The game going fans are a fixed part of the club, so the management whoever they may be at a given time are not that important, only the club. In some parts of the ground the humour, language, banter is the same as it was 100 years ago. In other parts, because of the kids, ladies, easily offended whatever people mind their behaviour. The stewards however do not interfere. The people around the abusers do the stare's, an elbow a few words. You do not make the club look bad.
You make the club look bad, you make yourself look bad. That not only refers to the club, but also the community they live in, strong and united when needs must.
Brighton used to be in the 70/80's a great team to support. Family team, passed down from father to son, good atmosphere and there was all the rubbish also associated with that period. Now a great new shiny stadium, new fans, a brand, all the things you need to bring about PL football. Now it is a very up market, cosmopolitan, expensive place to live. Not exactly a football hotbed is it?
Possibly this was why LFC's owners decided to expand Anfield instead of a big new shiny stadium, they didn't want to lose the club and community's soul.
We still have the old generations from the 60/70/80's at the Amex. When they fade away and the memories of the Goldstone will be books and photos in the club's museum the club will have changed completely.
Going to the Albion will be an "Experience". It will be like that and in the end all football clubs will be this way.
May take a little longer to change LFC, but in the end all clubs will be the same with different kits.

Southern Scouse, Liverpools home games these days are an embarrassment when it comes to support - thousands upon thousands of weird, Soccer am generation nu-age fans shipped in from all over the world with no affiliation to the city who tenuously claim to support LFC but are so out of place its untrue. The thing is, its got to the point where they are the majority, if you are a normal Scouser you are an alien in Anfield on match days. The club are happy with this as they will spend their money in the club shop etc, but it makes for a weird, grim atmosphere. A lot of the hardcore are stopping going, as its so far from what it should be, that its no fun any more - its also far too expensive for most working class people at nearly 50 quid for a ticket.

Brighton with all due respect have nowhere near the worldwide fanbase LFC have, but, if you get promoted, prices will surely go up again, you'll invaraibly get more gloryhunters etc etc....its all well and good for the first couple of seasons, but honestly, paying 50 quid a game for midtable Premier league football in sterile atmospheres full of gloryhunter supporters is no fun.

Its an interesting topic because I'm sure the majority are made up with the Amex and rightly so, but it does have its downsides
I know Brighton

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I don't want to go back to fighting the good fight at Withdean, much as we had some fantastic times there. Too many nights soaked to the skin. Let's enjoy the Amex experience, embrace the new generation of fans and look forward to future success.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
There is no denying that our stadium is very good, seat prices reasonable and food is expensive which of course can be avoided,however there are negative items for instance the time between leaving home and returning which affects meals and evening events for the rest of the family,last season football was first choice on most occassions,however this year after sitting through games that we had so much possesion,mainly in our own half yet dropping points its no problem to leave early or miss the odd match.
We need entertaining and winning results at home to keep fans coming back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here