Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

look what's lined up for Brighton seafront

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The do-nothing, build-nothing Tories have lost their majority remember. It might have a chance now.

I would imagine it is more down to the locals. Brighton has not always been Tory, has it? It took 254 years to build something on the Brighton Station wasteland. Fact is, there are too many people standing in the way of progress (not that I like this particular proposal from the outset).

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Your right it'll never happen but how boring if it did,there's far better things to construct like a pretty skyscraper or something.Also it gets windy on the south coast and a wheel with no spokes is worrying

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Is the i360 definitely going to happen?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Is the i360 definitely going to happen?

They started clearing the site, but it was meant to be funded by Northern Rock. I would imagine it shall happen eventually, but bound to be a while. £50m + on a tourist attraction is not a priority. However, I am sure that, in times of depression, British holidays are more likely to thrive... Hmmm...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Probably not, while the utterly worthless bobble-hats of The West Pier Trust have anything to do with it. What a disgrace these people are. Wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

What do you actually know about the West Pier Trust before dragging their name through the dirt?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What do you actually know about the West Pier Trust before dragging their name through the dirt?

I know from the local TV evening news that every time a bit of the Pier fell into the sea or there was a Mystery Fire there'd be an utterly blase 'Dr' Geoff Lockwood giggling on the beach, doing his best Black Knight act: 'Pah! Tis but a scratch!' while every single viewer with eyes to see knew that the bloke was pissing in the wind. Five or six times the bloke had the gall to say they'd rebuild it good as new. I also hear from independent sources that quite a few members of The West Pier Trust 'earnt' a healthy retainer from their involvement.

I repeat: wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

Besides, since when has the i360 had anything whatsoever to do with The West Pier - apart from it standing on the site of the pier's land-based end? Why are The West Pier Trust even involved with this dreary derivitive tourist trap?

Unless of course somebody forgot to cancel the retainer? ???

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Why not write to the Argus regarding the 'retainer' business if you care so much? Or is that further scurrilous slur from you?

It has always been important for Sir Geoff Lockwood to maintain a positive exterior. He, along with the trust, are trying to preserve the future of the greatest pier ever built. What do you suggest? Appear live on TV saying that the end is a nigh, whilst trying to coax investors? You should send your CV if they ever have a PR position available.

The i360 is engineered to raise money to secure or rebuild the West Pier. Dreary? As opposed to the rest of the seafront attractions? :lol: The i360 would be a crowd puller. Portsmouth and Southbank have benefited from the high buildings as have many cities across the globe.

Wouldn't trust them as far as you could throw them? Thankfully for them, you have nothing to do with such an important project for the city. Unless of course they have a computer screen on the blink or some such...

I can remember the views from Chantry Hill and Springhead above Storrington being pretty stunning, as they are from Chanctonbury Ring above Steyning...from all three you can see the sea, the coastal strip and the Weald.

Another place with great views is Boxhill near Dorking, looking south over one of the most beautiful parts of England, you can even see planes coming in and out of Gatwick.

Leith Hill is even better - about 10 miles south of Box Hill, less crowded and higher. You can see the sea at Shoreham, most of the London landmarks and the planes like moving Airfix models at Gatwick. Nice pub in the village nearby.

Remind me what this thread was about??

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It has always been important for Sir Geoff Lockwood to maintain a positive exterior.

The bloke in the anorak giggled while The West Pier burnt. Most breathtaking local level of complacency since Micky Adams last Autumn. Lockwood's a disgrace. The i360 will be there forever, efficiently coining in the tourist euro, and the West Pier will be allowed to rot for another 50 years before being quietly dismantled for scrap. No doubt Man Of Harveys will be on here in the morning banging on about the grand job the West Pier Trust are doing and similarly slagging off yours truly. But you're both wrong. The West Pier Trust have betrayed The West Pier bigtime and should hang their heads in shame. Or at least give the money back.

Would happily stay on and argue the toss - but NSC has gone into Stupidly Slow Mode for some reason. Oh well. There's always tomorrow night.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would imagine it is more down to the locals. Brighton has not always been Tory, has it? It took 254 years to build something on the Brighton Station wasteland. Fact is, there are too many people standing in the way of progress (not that I like this particular proposal from the outset).

.....and they finally got the planning permission for the 'Brighton Station wasteland' in 2003.... under a Labour council.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Hey, I've been away from Brighton for the last 8 months in Oz have they actually started building the i360 yet?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The West Pier Trust's website states:

"The Brighton West Pier Trust was created in 1978 to save the pier and return it to public use. Its aim is ultimately to achieve a full and authentic restoration of the pier to look as it did in its heyday, the late 1920's, and to ensure that it never again falls into a cycle of decline."

Epic FAIL there then.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Should have built them Gehry Towers innit.

I'm hoping this gets re-visited. Otherwise it will have turned out to be an incredible waste of tax-payers money. The best idea is to moth-ball the plans and extend the planning timeline until such time as Karis can build it. The tories never wanted it and the minute they were in a position to stop it they did. It would not be so bad if they had a plan themselves..but all they want to do is waste even more money proping it up for a few more years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here