Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Longleat advice please

Apart from the obvious "don't get out of the car to feed the lions" any advice on how to make the best of a visit as we are going there next week.

Is one day enough to take it all in or would you advise two?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Buy an old car and drive like the wind.

Seriously though as you drive round you have the option to skip the monkeys, IF you don't want your car damaged skip it, little buggers will rip anything off they can. Great trip around the rest though.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Buy an old car and drive like the wind.

Seriously though as you drive round you have the option to skip the monkeys, IF you don't want your car damaged skip it, little buggers will rip anything off they can. Great trip around the rest though.

And they appear to have taste as well. One time we went they ripped the shit out of a BMW in front of us, but left us alone in our clapped out old Astra :laugh:

Stevegull

Sep 9, 2005
Lewes
I think it depends on the weather that you get while there, it will be a long day. We stayed on the Carvan club site in the grounds and manged to make the activities last all week. I would suggest one very full on day or two more relaxed days if you want to do everything.

Have a good time, I'm going back next year

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1. Drive the wife's car.
2. Make sure you have plenty of cleaning fluid in your reservoir, or take a water pistol. Those monkeys will climb onto your windscreen but don't like getting wet!
3. They WILL strip any rubber that is exposed and flapping in the breeze. Tape it down

Pat McCrotch

Lurker
Oct 25, 2005
Shoreham-by-the-sea
We went last summer and the monkey enclosure was shut due to disease. Having been to chester zoo though, i'd agree to put your foot down when visiting these beasts as they show no mercy.

The rest of Longleat was ok, certainly not 2 days worth though. 2-3 hours for the drive through bit, and hour or two max in the house itself. Avoid the cafe which is down in the old servants quarters - overpriced slop, take your own picnic instead.

The bat cave is well worth a visit.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I assume you're taking the kids? Ours also enjoyed the maze, train ride, boat ride on the lake and the show with performing parrots. We didn't bother with going round the stately home though.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
If you are doing the other attractions as well as the safari park then do the safari park at lunch time: eat a picnic in the car, because it's much quieter, unless the weather is hot then do it at the end when the animals will be around more but it is quieter. Will you have kids with you? What age?

Mammoth

Kickin' back
Jan 28, 2011
Manchester Ship Canal
It's a lovely part of the world. Stay in Frome if you are there for a night- Warminster is an army town- nuff said! Best real ales in Frome at the Griffin. My missus certainly liked all the arty crafty shops on cheap Street and Catherine Hill- the 13th century architecture is also mildly diverting.
Nearby Heaven's gate is a nice spot for a picnic.
If you've got young kids, kite flying on nearby cley hill or Westbury White Horse Hill could be a good diversion.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Center Parc is just down the road, pricey but good for the kids, food in restaurants is very poor in my opinion.

Longleat is a day only with small kids, we started to do the stately home but the bin lids weren't interested (4 & 7 then)

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
do safari first in the car then drive to he car parks and do the attractions- but do boat first as Q get long

good day out, food expensive though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here