Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Long range shots in decline

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Further confirms my thinking that football these days is trying to be too clever for it's own good, and it sucks the joy out of the game. Percentage play, tiki-taka, xG, false 9s and all that bollocks.
Nah, its infinitely better than it was previously. And a lot less "clever".

For a long while, kids went to play football for fun and then when they grow older they were supposed to play in a highly systematic "football" revolving around kicking the ball long to the big guy next to the short fast guy.

Today football is a lot more similar to how young boys and girls actually want to play football.

Very simplistic, grumpy "better before" imho... In reality I don't think anyone in here could watch something like Everton - Wimbledon from 92/93 and stay awake.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Speaking just for us, our average shot distance went down by about a yard under RDZ (though we also had 100-150 more shots a season than Potter's version of the Albion). We're essentially unchanged so far under Hurzeler from RDZ's shooting stats. Compared to Hughton's first season in the PL, we're shooting (on average) about 2 yards closer to goal and taking almost double the amount of shots.

Statistically at the very least, the distance shots are taken on average in the Premier League has gone from 18.045 yards out (17/18) to 16.72 yards out (23/24). So yes, on average, shots are being taken closer to the goal now than compared to our first season in the PL.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
For a long while, kids went to play football for fun and then when they grow older they were supposed to play in a highly systematic "football" revolving around kicking the ball long to the big guy next to the short fast guy.
For reference, I’m not advocating some sort of Dycheball as being the zenith, far from it. But I much prefer our play with pace and quick breaks over Pep Guardiola boreball.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think we will see more long shots from our side this season.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
For reference, I’m not advocating some sort of Dycheball as being the zenith, far from it. But I much prefer our play with pace and quick breaks over Pep Guardiola boreball.
If you're saying that Kloppball is better than Pep boreball, I'm with you. Still love Pep ball though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here