Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

London to Brighton the film

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Just finished watching it, what a great film.. dark as hell but superb.

Undoubtedly been numerous threads on this but search is screwed.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Whats is about?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Vastly overrated film. Is good for what it is but felt like a very well done TV drama to me.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Vastly overrated film. Is good for what it is but felt like a very well done TV drama to me.

Agreed. I also didn't realise that outside the All night café is supposed to Brightons red light district?

Actually, the only "Brightonians" in it are a bunch of monged out losers in a dingy basement, and the only bit of backdrop is Madeira Drive and the A23.

The pimp bloke and the gangland boss are very sub Lock stock, and the whole thing was just a bit low rent.

That said, I did watch til the end and it was interesting enough for me to write this, so, hey ho.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Agreed. I also didn't realise that outside the All night café is supposed to Brightons red light district?

Actually, the only "Brightonians" in it are a bunch of monged out losers in a dingy basement, and the only bit of backdrop is Madeira Drive and the A23.

The pimp bloke and the gangland boss are very sub Lock stock, and the whole thing was just a bit low rent.

That said, I did watch til the end and it was interesting enough for me to write this, so, hey ho.

I didn't dislike it, in fact I thought it was well done on the budget and for what it was but am definately a bit miffed at all the praise it got. Also one of the monged out basement people was Kev Leach in Clocking Off and the stuttering Martin in Shameless so he isn't even remotely a Brightonian.

People should check out Red Road, far and away the best British film of last year.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)

But then wasn't 12 Angry Men just that too?
And The Lives Of Others had that feel to it too.
I am not looking to discredit your opinion or review, merely adding the view that often accidents, the unchosen, form greater artistic products than the planned.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
But then wasn't 12 Angry Men just that too?
And The Lives Of Others had that feel to it too.
I am not looking to discredit your opinion or review, merely adding the view that often accidents, the unchosen, form greater artistic products than the planned.

To be honest Meado I don't have a clue what point you're making.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
To be honest Meado I don't have a clue what point you're making.

2 things: a) a tv drama can be a truly great thing, and maybe not an accurately lessening critique.
b) 12 Angry Men was a made-for-tv film, but too good to remain at that level and needed to be seen on the big screen, even though the setting is just one room, theatrical and miniscule and unnatural. So, this wasn't meant to be the perfectly characterful drama blasted from small screen to large. Twas an accident, in ways, and somehow half-finer because of it.

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
2 things: a) a tv drama can be a truly great thing, and maybe not an accurately lessening critique.
b) 12 Angry Men was a made-for-tv film, but too good to remain at that level and needed to be seen on the big screen, even though the setting is just one room, theatrical and miniscule and unnatural. So, this wasn't meant to be the perfectly characterful drama blasted from small screen to large. Twas an accident, in ways, and somehow half-finer because of it.

I rest my case.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005

But this was a film that felt like a TV Drama not a TV film that felt like a film.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
But this was a film that felt like a TV Drama not a TV film that felt like a film.

Having watched Channel 5 in the afternoon, i'd say the TV drama holds a higher level of production and meaning than the TV film. It's an utter rarety for the latter to be decent, while the former are carefully-constructed and tend to be emotionally-catching as they must retain the viewer.
Although obviously to be shown at about 12.45am, i'd say Red Road has a tv drama feel to it. Quite a strong one, in fact, haunting and scarring in it's graphic, muddled realism; part-Crimewatch, part-Prime Suspect.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Having watched Channel 5 in the afternoon, i'd say the TV drama holds a higher level of production and meaning than the TV film. It's an utter rarety for the latter to be decent, while the former are carefully-constructed and tend to be emotionally-catching as they must retain the viewer.
Although obviously to be shown at about 12.45am, i'd say Red Road has a tv drama feel to it. Quite a strong one, in fact, haunting and scarring in it's graphic, muddled realism; part-Crimewatch, part-Prime Suspect.

I disagree, London To Brighton was much more narrative led, a stable characteristic of TV Drama while Red Road was character led. This combined with it's visual style, using mis-en-scene and composition to explore its themes more than London To Brighton does marks it out as a more filmic experience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here