Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] London commuters appear to attack XR protestor

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Support XR as a concept and have been on several actions but it is very decentralised as a movement and some are bound to get it wrong as I think these guys have.
Pretty horrible mob mentality on the platform though - men of course with nowhere else to direct their rage and impotence!

Really it was only a couple of people. Not sure it was a 'mob' mentality

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Comes from Brighton I believe, always very frustrating when that pulls in at Lewes, 2 car train and always a bun fight to get a seat, even off-peak, but at least it’s not the ex-London 1980s rolling stock Southern have still got the balls to run on the Seaford line.

Does it still come as a diesel, from Eastbourne to Brighton, might do but I know they messed around with it last year and I'm not sure if you can so the whole way from Brighton to Ashford without changing now

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Pretty horrible mob mentality on the platform though - men of course with nowhere else to direct their rage and impotence!

They weren’t impotent. A bunch of narcissistic troublemakers with no jobs were trying to stop people from getting to their jobs. They dealt with it. Job done.

Northern_Gull

Mar 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Counter productive to delay something that could be used to reduce over all carbon emissions, don't support violence but surely that's got to make them reconsider their strategy and actually come up with something that makes sense, and doesn't alienate a group you should be encouraging ???

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Support XR as a concept and have been on several actions but it is very decentralised as a movement and some are bound to get it wrong as I think these guys have.

If you take direct action you need to expect a response... wasn’t the brightest thing to do. XR need to be more adult on targets. At this stage it’s about hearts and minds ..... pissing off commuters is not the way ahead.

Be interesting to see what they think of losing social media etc as this would be the first move to a non industrialised society ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Global aviation only produces about 2% of all man made CO2 emissions and 12% of all transport sources. Road transportation on the other hand produces nearly 3 quarters. On top of that, the majority of flights cover distances where there is no practical alternative mode of transport.

Please try to use actual facts and figures to back up claims like that.

Mrs T is a keen recycler, yet will use three pints of hot water washing bits of tuna out of the tuna tin before putting it into recycling. I have trid to explain, but....

Anyway, pretty sure most of our recycling ends up in land fill in China.....

All for reducing our carbon footprint but not in favour of using a great big carbon stick to shove it into someone else's carbon pit. .

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It's good to officially know that when we run out of food and water itll be complete anarchy

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Cerys Matthews on Sunday 6music show interviewed neuroscientist Professor Shane O'Mara who has written a book called In Praise of Walking: The new science of how we walk and why it’s good for us

O'Mara not only talks about the merits of walking physically, he scientifically looks at it being essential for the health of the brain.

"Walking is good for our muscles and posture; it helps to protect and repair organs, and can slow or turn back the ageing of our brains. With our minds in motion we think more creatively, our mood improves and stress levels fall. Walking together to achieve a shared purpose is also a social glue that has contributed to our survival as a species."

He believes that our obsession with planning for the automobile has been a flawed concept for 90 years, and that we must organise our town and cities to prioritise walking and cycling over the automobile.

A huge number of commutes in London and our other cities and towns could be made by walking or bike. There will be thousands and thousands that get out of town trains into London only to get a tube for 2 or 3 stops that likely barely saves them any time over walking.

Might think about giving it a read, sounded a really interesting guy.

He’s right about that. But the thing is, London is perhaps one of the best cities in the world for a “walker”. I often go weeks without using a car. Try doing that in LA, or most big cities for that matter. But of course everything about London is evil apparently, not least that we don’t give all the money we earn to the provinces for people to spend on mung beans (even though Londoners pay far more in tax than they get back in services and benefits).

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Then the question is 'Why do it ?' - I've purposely stayed out of London my whole career on purpose ( bar the odd meeting ) - it's meant less money and less promotion prospects but it's perfectly do'able.

I understand what you mean , but depending on one's line of work, staying out of London isn't always that easy.
I worked in London for part of my career, but was fortunate that I also travelled to many other parts of the UK in the course of my work.
I didn't mind working in London and because I wanted promotion and more dosh, it was a no-brainer.However, I was damn' pleased that when the day was done, I could head back to leafy Reigate and relax: no doubt like Simster does these days, in the very same town!
My youngest lives and works in London, because that is where the main opportunities exist for him in his chosen career. He's only 25 and so loves it, but he also loves coming home now and again to the quiet West Sussex coast to recharge his batteries!
Each to their own.:thumbsup:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It's good to officially know that when we run out of food and water itll be complete anarchy

What's this got to do with 2 tw*ts on top of a train?

It's been raining everyday for about 12 days, don't think we are running out of water for a while. :wink:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
What's this got to do with 2 tw*ts on top of a train?

It's been raining everyday for about 12 days, don't think we are running out of water for a while. :wink:
We'll be alright, I'm gonna bypass the meter and get free water [emoji23]

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Cerys Matthews on Sunday 6music show interviewed neuroscientist Professor Shane O'Mara who has written a book called In Praise of Walking: The new science of how we walk and why it’s good for us

O'Mara not only talks about the merits of walking physically, he scientifically looks at it being essential for the health of the brain.

"Walking is good for our muscles and posture; it helps to protect and repair organs, and can slow or turn back the ageing of our brains. With our minds in motion we think more creatively, our mood improves and stress levels fall. Walking together to achieve a shared purpose is also a social glue that has contributed to our survival as a species."

He believes that our obsession with planning for the automobile has been a flawed concept for 90 years, and that we must organise our town and cities to prioritise walking and cycling over the automobile.

A huge number of commutes in London and our other cities and towns could be made by walking or bike. There will be thousands and thousands that get out of town trains into London only to get a tube for 2 or 3 stops that likely barely saves them any time over walking.

Might think about giving it a read, sounded a really interesting guy.

Most of us know that walking and exercise are good for us, but to say that planning for the automobile has been a flawed concept for 90 years is a bit strange. What should our ancestors have done all those years ago to boost trade, jobs and the general wealth of the country, without having the means to efficiently transport goods and people around the country? It couldn't all have been done by steam trains! One must also remember the social benefits, that car owning bought to many people, the freedom to go where they wanted when they wanted and this freedom continued to be spread well into the 1950's and early '60's when car ownership reached the less well off.Some people even got out of their cars and walked in the countryside and visited places they would never have dreamt of previously! :smile:Now, that must have been good for the soul and general well-being of many ordinary folk.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Most of us know that walking and exercise are good for us, but to say that planning for the automobile has been a flawed concept for 90 years is a bit strange. What should our ancestors have done all those years ago to boost trade, jobs and the general wealth of the country, without having the means to efficiently transport goods and people around the country? It couldn't all have been done by steam trains! One must also remember the social benefits, that car owning bought to many people, the freedom to go where they wanted when they wanted and this freedom continued to be spread well into the 1950's and early '60's when car ownership reached the less well off.Some people even got out of their cars and walked in the countryside and visited places they would never have dreamt of previously! :smile:Now, that must have been good for the soul and general well-being of many.

I should have been more clear regarding planning for automobiles in our urban centers, rather than road infrastructure altogether. Although the flawed statistics and thought that the roads would negate the need for vast stretches of our railways through the Beeching years and the hubris of those decisions is another discussion.

The point being by the author was the priority of the vehicle over pedestrians in our town centres, our retail districts etc. Not just here, but in areas of the US its even worse where you have laws preventing you from even crossing or walking along some roads.

You can consider Brighton as a case in point in what should be an amazing retail experience from a stroll down from the station to the shops, and beach beyond. What could be a tree lined avenue from the station to a thriving piazza around the Clock Tower, it is a walk with pavements barely wide enough to accommodate 3 people abreast, let alone wheelchairs etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here