Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

London Commuters and the Olympics

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
Interested to know what peoples thoughts and fears are re their commute into London during the games.

I go to L.Bridge daily and just reading the TFL projections of absolute carnage, im fearing the worse.

Anybody been told to work from home etc

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I don't work in London but have a fair few colleagues that travel up their daily, most of them are going to based in other parts of the south east or work from home as looking at the travel plans and restrictions it looks an absolute nightmare

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Slightly concerned as I go to Northumberland Park station which is on the main Stratford -> Standstead Airport mainline. I work from home one day a week anyway, so am angling to increase it quite a lot :)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It WILL be chilli-con-carnage for the duration of the games, I am deeply relieved not to be a commuter.

Working from home or doing flexi-hours has to be the order of the day I'd have thought.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Hopefully I won't really be affected much as I only go as far as Three Bridges before changing to head to Horsham. If anything there might be more trains to and from Three Bridges and might make life easier...

Dream the impossible dream

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Interested to know what peoples thoughts and fears are re their commute into London during the games.

I go to L.Bridge daily and just reading the TFL projections of absolute carnage, im fearing the worse.

Anybody been told to work from home etc
I will be WFH 2 or 3 days a week during the Olympics. It'll have calmed down for the Paralympics though.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
keep-calm-and-carry-on.jpg

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Anyone with a ticket to the Olympics can buy a rail ticket which will allow you to travel at any time (incl. before 0900) at a reduced fare than normal, so the transport system to and in London will see alot of extra passengers, also they get free travel on the underground.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Anyone with a ticket to the Olympics can buy a rail ticket which will allow you to travel at any time (incl. before 0900) at a reduced fare than normal, so the transport system to and in London will see alot of extra passengers, also they get free travel on the underground.

It was well known that this is the case - why most train companies to/from London are hiring thousands of temps for the Olympics/Paralympics - im not complaining as im at the final stage to get one of those temp jobs, just 1 more assessment to pass and then i get to avoid watching it all...

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009

Oh for f"cks sake, really ? There is nothing more i hate as a commuter than tourists on the train.They are too excitable, looking forward to thier day out while i look forward to a boring day (well reading NSC) - i prefer wallowing in self pity with the other unfortunate souls, who try to mask the anguish of travelling 500 miles a week at £120 to earn a living.

If i jump on at Portslade on the 7.36 and someone is in MY seat, i think i may actually have a meltdown ie think Michael Douglas in Falling Down

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I am going on the Saturday (which shouldnt be a problem) and Wednesday 4th of August, if the commutors will kindly take the day off for me, that would be much appriectated.

Won't the holiday season reduce the commute over this period anyway and what figures are they expecting on the olympic site each day.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not sure what to do yet but as I use London Bridge I will have to have a re-think

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

Not just underground-your Olympic/Paralympic ticket includes all travel Zones 1-6 at any time on day-bus, tube or train!

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Is this the same sort of predicted meltdown that occurred in 1999 with the eclipse in SW England. Water shortages, sewers wouldn't be able to cope, food shortages, traffic gridlocks and general breakdown of social order. We went down to St Austell the night before and it was no busier than a typical summer weekend, if that, primarily because a lot of people had been put off by the scaremongers!

On the day I have tickets for the Athletics, I'll travel after 9.00am from lancing (visiting my folks too), so won't deny any of the honourable NSC'ers their usual seat.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
TfL have advised commuters to expect their journey time to be doubled during the Olympics , so nothing changed from a normal day then.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm not to worried about the train aspect of my journey, but the tube journey (especially working in Canary Wharf) puts me right off. I have pretty flexible working, but will still be required to go into the office once or twice a week.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I'm impressed at the olympic ticket holding discount, £3.25 each single journey via First Capital Connect and Tube.

you've not travelled with Last clapped out missed the connection recently have you

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here