Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Lollipop Ladies

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
First time in a long time I made use of a lollipop lady, which got my juices flowing...

Are there still as many Lollipop Ladies around these days?

Have you used their services recently? Even if at all?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yep see them regularly round here but also not exclusively a job for women anymore !

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
First time in a long time I made use of a lollipop lady, which got my juices flowing...

Are we talking about the people who help get kids across roads? Or something else???

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
They’ve been Americanised and are now called Crossing Guards. According to their indeed job advert anyway.

Not sure how the get anyone’s “juices flowing”?

My recollection is they are usually ageing dinner lady types looking to make a bit of money in retirement.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Can't recall the last time I saw one and using one would be even further back in time.
I thought they had all been pensioned off given that all children seem to be driven to the school gates.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
When I was lad, Old Ma DCH was the lollipop lady by St Andrews Church in Tarring for the old Thomas a Becket Middle school. She was a bit of a firebrand and on a few occasions got into arguments which drivers who wouldn't stop as she would hit their cars with her metal pole. Of course, when it was pointed out to the driver that if they wanted to involve the police and the parents around were witnesses that the driver had not stopped, they soon backed down.

After he had retired, my Dad became a lollipop man, first at Durrington Middle School and then on Wiston Avenue for the new site of Thomas A Becket Middle school. He was the first lollipop person in West Sussex to be given a camera to wear on duty to catch motorists who didn't stop so maybe there is something about my parents that made people want to run them over!

When my Dad retired from that role, the sheer volume of cards and gifts was unbelievable. He could probably have opened an off licence and sweet shop with the number of bottles etc he received.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
We had a friendly old chap called Fred, for many years.
Used to hand out sweets without any of the attached cynicism of the dark modern day, and was always up for a bit of banter.
Only if his cap was removed by a third party, or God forbid his main tool of work temporarily stolen then he could, understandably, turn a little frosty.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yep see them regularly round here but also not exclusively a job for women anymore !
Exactly. These days they have to be called 'Non-Gender Specific Road Crossing Facilitators'*

*Not really, but that's probably something that 'anti-woke' insufferable bellends would have you believe.

To the OP, I see one or two each day (both blokes, I believe) that I drive Bobkin Jnr to school. They do a fine job 👍🏼

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
my sons school in East Preston have one

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Can't recall the last time I saw one and using one would be even further back in time.
I thought they had all been pensioned off given that all children seem to be driven to the school gates.
There is one at my kids school. And pretty much all the kids walk there.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

There's one on Portland Road who had no idea how to let traffic flow. They'll stop cars and let everyone cross, and then just as they're about to let cars go, they'll pop back onto the road because a pedestrian 10 metres away might want to cross.

I've never seen anything like it, they just cause a massive queue.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There's one on Portland Road who had no idea how to let traffic flow. They'll stop cars and let everyone cross, and then just as they're about to let cars go, they'll pop back onto the road because a pedestrian 10 metres away might want to cross.

I've never seen anything like it, they just cause a massive queue.
Yes, they do seem somewhat lacking in common sense. I am all for pedestrians having a bit of priority at school times but non point having traffic backing up for a mile while we wait for Little Johnny Slowcoach to make it to the crossing.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
They’ve been Americanised and are now called Crossing Guards. According to their indeed job advert anyway.

My recollection is they are usually ageing dinner lady types looking to make a bit of money in retirement.
We don't want any of them jobs worth american types round here thankyouverymuch.
Lolliepop ladies and lolliepop men, as they carry a f*** off big lolliepop :glare:

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast

Bollocks to the Americanisation of OUR Lollipop Ladies! These gentle souls dressed up in their oversized Trebor Fruit Salad attire of hat, coat and trousers in sweat inducing plastic to be worn in all weathers - just hope there isn’t a nearby front garden with pampas grass growing. :wink:

P.S. Crossing Guard - my arse! :angry:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here