Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] "Localized hydrothermal explosion"

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Surely that is exactly what you hope for when visiting a volcano
Or my lavatory at 11.00 each day. Mind you, when I pulled the flushed mine today two of my neignbours flushed theirs at the same time. A chain reaction.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Surely that is exactly what you hope for when visiting a volcano
Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for:-

The_Eruption_Mount_St_Helens_1980 (26).jpg

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
That decides to go off for real, and it’s goodnight.
That thread title - and your comment quoted above - reminds me of a post @Hiney once made, concerning the next-day repercussions of a night spent on the beer and curry.

What made the post particularly memorable was that @Hiney had put his back out and so Mrs Hiney had to join him in the downstairs lavatory to undertake extensive clean-up and salvage operations, in the most testing of conditions.

Ah. Simpler times on NSC back then…

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
As a species we're so complacent about geological timescales it's hilarious. Ooh this hasn't gone properly bang for xxxx thousands of years so lets build duck board walkways right up to the vent.

As others have said Yellowstone scares the bejesus out of me and it's potential impacts are literally planet changing if it went. As a Supervolcano it is probably the biggest as yet to erupt in human timescales but if it did it's likely to wipe out the entire midwest of the contiguous US states and then most likely eject something in the order of more than 1000 cubic kilometers of material. To give context Pinatubo in the
Phillipines that erupted in 1991 released 10 cubic kilometers and was responsible for global cooling of approx half a degree over the following two years.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
That thread title - and your comment quoted above - reminds me of a post @Hiney once made, concerning the next-day repercussions of a night spent on the beer and curry.

What made the post particularly memorable was that @Hiney had put his back out and so Mrs Hiney had to join him in the downstairs lavatory to undertake extensive clean-up and salvage operations, in the most testing of conditions.

Ah. Simpler times on NSC back then…
That story remains to this day to be my favourite post on NSC

Last edited:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
As a species we're so complacent about geological timescales it's hilarious. Ooh this hasn't gone properly bang for xxxx thousands of years so lets build duck board walkways right up to the vent.

As others have said Yellowstone scares the bejesus out of me and it's potential impacts are literally planet changing if it went. As a Supervolcano it is probably the biggest as yet to erupt in human timescales but if it did it's likely to wipe out the entire midwest of the contiguous US states and then most likely eject something in the order of more than 1000 cubic kilometers of material. To give context Pinatubo in the
Phillipines that erupted in 1991 released 10 cubic kilometers and was responsible for global cooling of approx half a degree over the following two years.
Sounds nasty. I won't hang my washing up outside today then just in case.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Or it doesn't erupt again at all, or for another 500,000 years. Yellowstone is unusual in that other volcanic systems forming a super-volcano don't or haven't erupted multiple times.

Compared to all the other stuff we do that's dangerous, like getting in your car for a drive, I'd say taking a walk around Yellowstone duckboards is safer than many daily choices we make.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Or it doesn't erupt again at all, or for another 500,000 years. Yellowstone is unusual in that other volcanic systems forming a super-volcano don't or haven't erupted multiple times.

Compared to all the other stuff we do that's dangerous, like getting in your car for a drive, I'd say taking a walk around Yellowstone duckboards is safer than many daily choices we make.
True, not my intention to scaremonger or kill joy just also being realistic about the potential geohazards. I think I read in a paper the actual odds of a cataclysmic eruption there within our lifetime is something like 0.00000014% however what is clear is the magma is pooling and the dome is growing just not exponentially.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
True, not my intention to scaremonger or kill joy just also being realistic about the potential geohazards. I think I read in a paper the actual odds of a cataclysmic eruption there within our lifetime is something like 0.00000014% however what is clear is the magma is pooling and the dome is growing just not exponentially.
It's why we need a Moon base and a Mars colony.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Just like Campi Flegrei near Naples - a series of volcanoes in a massive super volcanic Calerda, with houses built around it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This being the USA, I wonder how many of them will sue the National Parks organisation?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here